Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT

• 29-06-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

lads, a question. The NCT is going to be up on my car at end of July. Do i automatically get a letter out telling me of an appointment or is it up to myself to arrange it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You should get a reminder, but it's ultimately up to you. I think you can book it without the letter if you have the registration date handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

I was just looking online...i can't even see a free date. is it that hard at moment to get an appointment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yes. You'll need to phone them. You'll probably get a date in Sept/Oct.

You may get a cancellation quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, it looks to be alright based on some posts here.

and what would happen then if i got stopped by a guard and my NCT was out? would it be ok if i can show that i have a date in the future booked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It seems the guards would be willing to let you go with a letter, but don't count on it - they could just give you 5 points instead.

Check if you can get it NCTd somewhere else quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

aster99 wrote: »
    and what would happen then if i got stopped by a guard and my NCT was out? would it be ok if i can show that i have a date in the future booked?

Well, I've just been onto the NCT and booked my wife's car in, and they said they are sending out a letter which needs to be kept in the car in case the Gaurds stop her. Assumption is the mother of all !"£% though... I'd however be fairly confident of either talking my way out of it or having it thrown out of court (Assuming you have said booking letter).

Funny how a sudden enforcement of the law changes things. I took her 1 series in for NCT in April if I recall. Called them up and had a booking for the following week. Called this morning and our appointment is now for the 4th of November.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

aster99 wrote: »
    You'd probably be fine, but there are no guarantees. Once you've booked a date, you can keep an eye on the NCT website for cancellations. I NCTd two cars recently, didn't have to wait for more than around a fortnight in either case.

im in cork, looked up every centre in cork and also Kilarney, cant see a free date anywhere!!!! and i thought i'd loads of time to get it sorted, didn't realise it was like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went to book mine at the end of April because it was due at the end of June. I am now booked in for 26th August in Cork. If it is a legal requirement to have your car NCTd then they should be bloody well able to keep on top of things. If I get stopped by the Gardaí and there is a problem I will show them the send date on my letter to prove that I did everything I could to get it done on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

janeybabe wrote: »
    . If it is a legal requirement to have your car NCTd then they should be bloody well able to keep on top of things..

How can they account for a large percentage of people not bothering their hole with getting an NCT for years and all booking together because they are afraid of getting points?

If people got their Nct's done atthe right times there wouldnt be this backlog.

Stekelly wrote: »
    How can they account for a large percentage of people not bothering their hole with getting an NCT for years and all booking together because they are afraid of getting points?

If people got their Nct's done atthe right times there wouldnt be this backlog.

Simple really. They should issue NCTs to those who are due one. For example, if my NCT is due in June, then my test should be automatically organised for June. If my NCT is due in August, it should be in August. Those who didn't bother getting their NCT should then have to wait until a date is free. It's not the NCT's fault that people didn't bother, nor is it my fault, or your fault, so we shouldn't have to suffer. A little bit of organisation would sort this all out. Unfortunately, this is Ireland, and organisation is not our strong point.

. It's not the NCT's fault that people didn't bother, nor is it my fault, or your fault, so we shouldn't have to suffer

I cant speak for you, but I did mine on time, so it isnt my fault. The NCT people cant have thousands of guys sitting around 24/7 in case people all decide to not get their tests done then do it all together. So the only way most people can avoid the suffering is if they follow the law and do things properly ,but they dont seem willing to do that.

It's the fault of all the people that brought the situation on by leaving their Ncts drag on years overdue.

A little bit of organisation would sort this all out. Unfortunately, this is Ireland, and organisation is not our strong point.

What other countries organise it the way you describe? I'm assuming your "this is Ireland" bit meant you knew how it worked elswhere. Our closest neighbours, who people like to use as some shineing example of how to do things sure dont , yet their system seems to work because for the most part, people MOT thier cars.

You seem not to have read my idea for a solution that imo would work. Also, as I initially said, I tried to organise my NCT for June in April and was given the end of August. This is completely unacceptable.

The 'this is Ireland' thing has nothing to do with other countries. I don't believe that Ireland should run based on what other countries do. I believe that Ireland should run based on what works. But Ireland doesn't seem to be able to do that in a lot of cases.

Anyway, I've outlined what I believe, and I have nothing further to add. (This is not a cop-out. I literally have nothing else to add. :)) This flying visit into the Motors forum is over. :D

You seem not to have read my idea for a solution that imo would work. Also, as I initially said, I tried to organise my NCT for June in April and was given the end of August. This is completely unacceptable.

It's unacceptable , but only like this because of the people I described above, nothing else.

I did read your solution ,but its not all that practical. There will be huge amounts of peopel that cant attend and it just adds massive amounts of cancellations and rearrangements to the scedule, creasting mountains of work. The system works fine now, it's the users of that system that are the problem.

The 'this is Ireland' thing has nothing to do with other countries. I don't believe that Ireland should run based on what other countries do. I believe that Ireland should run based on what works. But Ireland doesn't seem to be able to do that in a lot of cases.

But saying "this is Ireland" has everything to do with other countries, otherwise why single us out as though we are a special case where things are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I was told my the Garda press office that people who had a RECENTLY expired NCT disk and could provide proof that the applied for a new test would "NOT BE ACTIVELY PURSUED".
    This means if you disk expired in 08 and you had a letter saying you rang last month to book a test the you would most likely risk getting points as you had driven so long without a valid cert, whereas if your NCT expired in April and you had a letter dated May confirming your appointment for July (as is my own personal case) then you would be highly unlikely to be penalised PROVIDED YOUR VEHICLE WAS IN A ROAD-WORTHY CONDITION !!!

He pointed me to the following site
    "Q. My NCT is now due but my test date is not until after 1st May, will I get
    penalty points if I drive my car between now and the test date?

A. The Gardaí have advised motorists awaiting a NCT test to carry proof of their test appointment with them at all times in order to assist them in explaining the situation should they be stopped by the Gardaí. However this does not release motorists of the responsibility to ensure their vehicles are roadworthy."

Advertisement