Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megane - The Problem no mechanic can find

• 29-06-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my 97’ Renault Megane Classic and unfortunately no mechanic seems to be able to find the problem. Before you say “get a new car” (ha! ha!)…, it has very little millage on it, rarely gives trouble, and as since I only drive about 3 miles a day I don't want to get rid of it (if possible)

Anyway……, Sometimes when I go to start it, and twist the key, the electrics in the dash board will show that they are powered up (with no error problems shown up in the dash). But there is no kick from the engine…., the key just twists and if it wasn’t for the lights in the dash coming on…., I would almost think that the twisting of the key was doing nothing. This only happens every few days, and when it does happen, it can refuse to work for hours before it starts to work again.

To answer some questions in advance of you asking:
    When I twist the key, I can see that the key code has been accepted as “Code accepted” red light lights up with some other lights. It also doesn’t seem to be the battery and my full lights work perfectly.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their Megane, and have they every found the problem?

Thanking you for any suggestions or help in advance.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sticky starter solenoid? If you can see it, maybe try giving it a couple of light taps with a hammer. I'd also check/tighten the battery terminal connections. How often does it happen? I'd recommend going to an auto electrician if all else fails, but intermittent faults are very hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 firefoxireland

Thanks Anan1, really appreciate your advice and help on this one.

Ya I have checked the battery connections and they are all ok.

This maybe a silly question, but I will ask it anyway ( I suppose), where would I find the starter solenoid in the Megane????

Thanks Again Anan1.

Paul

p.s Would it only be advisable to hit it with a hammer when the car is refusing to work, or would it be best to do it this evening when it is (hopefully) working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

It is probably the ignition switch. The contacts can wear out internally. You could get an auto electrician to wire in a starter button to allow you start the car.

You would have to turn on the ignition and then hit the starter button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mate has a similar problem with his 00 Corolla. The contact on the negative battery wire can become corroded, as well as the contact on the battery itself. Give it a rub with fine sandpaper if its discoloured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

a mate of mine had similiar issues with a Laguna, had loads of problems with it and the garage he bought it off... anyway suffice to say, repalced the starter motor... which he was told was in good working order and the problem dissapeared..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Have you had a diagnostics check done?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

had something very simlar with a 00 clio turned out the key needed a new battery

• Registered Users Posts: 5 firefoxireland

Thanks all for you're advice....., really do appreciate it.

Someone asked earlier if I had a diagnostics check done?.... Ya had one done on Friday but they found nothing wrong with the car. Which wasn't very encouraging.

Anyway, thanks for all your answers today...., at least I have parts/areas that can be checked out more in the car to try and get it resolved hopefully. Will bring it to an auto electrican (thats what everyone seems to be suggesting)

Thanks all, really do appreciate all your advice and time.

Best Wishes

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

If I was having a bet with good odds, I go for ignition switch (not barrel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago with a 98 Megane and it turned out to be the Starter Solenoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

A friend of mine had issue with immobliser there was a leak in from the aerial i think... might be worth trying

Defo go for an auto electrican and not a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mate has a similar problem with his 00 Corolla. The contact on the negative battery wire can become corroded, as well as the contact on the battery itself. Give it a rub with fine sandpaper if its discoloured.

If there is corrosion on the battery terminal pouring hot water over the terminal will move most of the corrosion and if it still has a lot of corrosion an old toothbrush and a bit of baking powder/bicarb of soda will remove the rest.
    Sanding terminals can lead to the terminal becoming loose and giving its own problems.
    To stop a reoccurance a good smear of Dielectric grease or Vaseline will prevent the terminal oxidising again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks Anan1, really appreciate your advice and help on this one.

Ya I have checked the battery connections and they are all ok.

This maybe a silly question, but I will ask it anyway ( I suppose), where would I find the starter solenoid in the Megane????

Thanks Again Anan1.

Paul

p.s Would it only be advisable to hit it with a hammer when the car is refusing to work, or would it be best to do it this evening when it is (hopefully) working?
    The starter solenoid is generally built onto the starter motor, it's an electrically-activated switch that engages the starter motor. I'd give it a few taps next time the car refuses to start, if the car starts afterwards then you know what your problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

Anan1 wrote: »
    The starter solenoid is generally built onto the starter motor, it's an electrically-activated switch that engages the starter motor. I'd give it a few taps next time the car refuses to start, if the car starts afterwards then you know what your problem is.

Where is this located in the engine bay? Behind (windscreen-side) of the engine block? If so, that is probably it as we had the same problem with a '97 Megane...turn the ignition and it was like the immobiliser was locked on.

For the life of me I can't recall what the part was called giving the problem but it was acknowledged by the local dealer to be a known fault - I believe corrosion, alright.

Reach in behind the block and...maybe about halfway down it's depth...there'll be a cable connecting to, eh, something. Jiggle this and/or pushing it firmly into/onto it's seating should get you going. I would imagine there is a more reliable replacement for this from a dealer...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Get the push on connection on the little wire going onto the starter solenoid changed.

This used to be a common problem when i worked on Renaults years ago around the same year as yours.

Problem was where the connection makes contact gets burnt out over time.

Wont cost much and its somewhere to start.

Advertisement