Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp apartment

Options
  • 29-06-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

hi i'm hoping someone could give some advice on this issue.

myself, my oh and our young daughter recently moved into a rented apartment. it was sparkling and really nice when we moved in but after one day there we noticed the bathroom to be very damp. so much so that towels are constantly cold/ almost wet. it turns out that the whole place is damp, it was just more noticeable in the bathroom.
    our daughter who is only young often spills drink/ dribbles on her clothes or whatever and we are unable to put these items of clothing in a wash basket as they stay damp and grow mould.
    this morning we discovered there was mould growing under the fridge.
    there is no washing machine in the actual apartment however there is in the complex (which is why it is difficult when it comes to storing dirty clothes as we cant pay to clean just one item of clothing if it gets wet).
    is there anything we can do about the dampness?
    and is it something we should speak to the estate agent about?
    we have only just moved so we dont want to be on bad terms with the landlord but i am scared this will effect our daughters health especially at winter.

thanks for your help. sorry if its in the wrong forum!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I don’t mean to sound hasty, but I would be out of there like a shot. If it this damp now, can you imagine what it will be like in Winter? Mould under the fridge is not acceptable either. I remember my brother with whooping cough due to having stayed at a relatives damp house – well, that was what was blamed anyway. Honest to God I thought hed expire. One great thing about all this recession woe is that standards have to improve as supply goes up. You don’t have to rent a damp apt when there are a hundred others waiting for you in pristine condition. I wouldn’t be putting up with it at all at all.

Get the landlord to sort it out immediatly or start looking for another place. Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

The landlord is pulling a fast one. He'd have to know about the mould. It's probably why the last tenants moved out. Good terms or bad terms, don't let yourself be walked all over. It's scandalous to expect someone to live in conditions like that and even worse when there's a child involved. I'm not particularly fond of confrontation myself but I wouldn't part with another penny until it gets sorted. I've had a small bit of mould in my own apt and have read up on it. It can affect your health so you can't not say it to the landlord. You're paying good money to him to live there so you have every right for the place to be in good shape. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

thanks for your replies.
    do you have any suggestions about how we should go about it? we've not met the landlord as it was arranged through an agent.
    the problem with leaving is we really cant afford to lose the deposit. we cant afford to pay a deposit on another place without getting it back, if that makes sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Why would you lose your deposit? The contract is void if the apt is not habitable. If the agent start messing you around contact Threshold or whatever relevant group - Im sure someone else can list them off for you. The agent is not going to be happy as its their fee down the drain, but dont be bullied into staying. Ask the agent if they knew it was damp - 100% they will say no so they should be please that you have pointed this out so it can be rectified for the next tennent when it is fixed. Its inconvenient for you to have to move again but youre going ot let it go cos because youre a nice guy.

Honestly, Id be ripping if some shyster licked paint on the place then rented it to me. You need to be alot firmer than youre sounding. You committed to what you thought was a damp free apartment and youve been duped. Ill bet you any money in 6 months time youll be well able to see the black spots and brown patches on the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

Deepsense wrote: »
    Why would you lose your deposit? The contract is void if the apt is not habitable. If the agent start messing you around contact Threshold or whatever relevant group - Im sure someone else can list them off for you. The agent is not going to be happy as its their fee down the drain, but dont be bullied into staying. Ask the agent if they knew it was damp - 100% they will say no so they should be please that you have pointed this out so it can be rectified for the next tennent when it is fixed. Its inconvenient for you to have to move again but youre going ot let it go cos because youre a nice guy.

Honestly, Id be ripping if some shyster licked paint on the place then rented it to me. You need to be alot firmer than youre sounding. You committed to what you thought was a damp free apartment and youve been duped. Ill bet you any money in 6 months time youll be well able to see the black spots and brown patches on the walls.

you're 100% right. thanks for the agency name, will check it out so im prepared before i go to the estate agent!

• Advertisement

My brother in law and his girlfriend recently moved out of an apartment due to severe damp (I'm half wondering if it's the same one) they both got quite sick and had spots and everything on their faces.

You need to get out of there and fast, get straight onto the letting agent and get onto the citizens advice bureau. You are entitled to live in a safe environment and one which will make you ill does not fall under this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Deepsense wrote: »
    contact Threshold
    www.threshold.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Make sure and take plenty of photos before doing anything.
    I wish you luck
    It will work out it is just a hastle that you will have to move again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Lived in a place like that once, generally its down to poor circulation and cold air. It was FREEZING in winter. Chances are you will be too.

Advertisement