Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lateralus?

• 29-06-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

So, I really dig Lateralus by Tool. My favourite metal album by far. I've tried the other Tool albums and A Perfect Circle. Not as good, IMVHO.

I really like the difficult off-beat rhythms and the recurring themes and riffs. Any suggestions?

Donimo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

great album but i think aenima is slightly better.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Entertaining for a while, can't really listen to Tool any more sadly. They just... bore me. I wouldn't really call them metal, either. They've more an American alternative rock sound with a subtle progressive influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Donimo wrote: »
    So, I really dig Lateralus by Tool. My favourite metal album by far. I've tried the other Tool albums and A Perfect Circle. Not as good, IMVHO.

I really like the difficult off-beat rhythms and the recurring themes and riffs. Any suggestions?

Donimo

I'm going to recommend Meshuggah's "Catch Thirtythree" The rhythms are practically unfollowable and some are pretty complicated. The entire album is 1 song split up into 13 tracks. Once you get to know the album, you begin to find recurring rhythms and riffs. However, the album is ridiculously heavy, 8 string guitars and all screaming vocals bar a few parts. Hope you like extreme progressive metal

This song isn't from Catch Thirtythree, but it gives a pretty good idea of what to expect from Meshuggah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ

This song is from Catch Thirtythree.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjzIBI3jkKY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Lateralus is a work of unrivalled genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

maybe check out Mastodon or Dillinger Escape Plan too if you like off-time stuff.. Or if you want to go right back to these bands influences try some King Crimson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

if your looking for something with recurring themes and riffs, then metropolis part II:scenes from a memory by dream theater is definately for you.. im a huge tool fan so in my opinion this a logical next step band

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yep, definitly go for some Meshuggah if you want heavier or Mastodon if you want more melodic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As well as the bands previously mentioned (Meshuggah, Mastodon and Dillinger Escape Plan) I'd recommend Cloudkicker

and Converge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

actually, now that i think of it, Porcupine Tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Donimo

If you like the sound of that Cloudkicker track, you can download the album and an EP at:

http://cloudkicker.uk.googlepages.com/

One-man self-released instrumental. Rocks.

I'll check out the other suggestions also. Thanks folks.

Donimo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

CloudKicker are brilliant, a really really good album and the 2nd one is awesome too. Best of all , they are free!! I was looking for a paypal link to donate money but nothing. Fair play to them (him?).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Their best offering IMO. Certainly better than that shoddy load of shi-ite they released afterwards. "Wings for Marie"?? Gimme a break. I don't give a crap about what the song means, it's a load of boring, self-indulgent crap.

Advertisement