Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rith Diego Rith! A DCM training log

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great training put in by ya over last while....all the best for Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck. Hope to meet you smiling in the Conrad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck eli, I had a luck through last years DM thread and I see that was one of your first posts on the site, man have you come along way. Go out there and just give it socks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Good luck eli

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Best of luck Monday Eli. Just had a good read through your log - you're in good shape!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Good luck eli.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Right, where do I start on this one?
    Firstly we were blessed with the weather - what a perfect day for running. Thanks God.
    Didn't sleep great the night before but I don't think anybody did.
    Got up at 6:00am and had some toast & jam and a cup of tea. Had just a small amount of water after last year's p1ssing debacle before the start. Made it to the baggage area in good time and did final preparations (vaseline, plasters etc). Had hat and gloves too, prob weren't needed but I wasn't taking any chances. Was in the green pen for about 8:30. After a few Mexican waves the barrier between the pens was opened to allow the front of the green and the back of the orange pen to join up. Saw one of the 3:30 pacer balloons go skyward. That got a good cheer and broke the tension. "Met" Ray D'arcy just before the gun - I told him not to be complaining on the radio come Wed morning.
    Me: ha ha ha
    Ray: [blank stare]
    Soon we were off.
    I was just across from the 3:45 pacers and my intention was to be within 10 yards of them at all times. We crossed the start mat exactly 1 min after gun, so at least the maths was gonna be easy.
    The pacers balloons looked big and cumbersome, rather them than me. Mile 1 in 7:40 and there was more than a few raised eyebrows from the group running with the 3:45 pacers. Mile 2 in 7:55, what the hell! All my training was done at 8:32 miles. We concluded that they were most probably making up the minute difference between gun-time and chip-time, but already we had run 1min 09sec faster than PMP and we were only 2 miles into the race.
    Come mile 8 we were amlost 2 min up on PMP.
    Anyway, the run through the park was great and I felt strong and in control. I was about 20 yards in front of the pacers at this stage and was constantly mindful of their position.
    At mile 10 or 11 though I could only see one of the purple balloons (Pacer No 1 stopped to tend to a casualty). Still feeling good. crossed half way in 1:50 (chip time), 2 mins up. Time in the bank. There was a lot less conversation now and the only sound we could hear was the shuffle of hundreds of runners on the road. The sun had made a strong appearance at this stage, and I felt good about my inspired decision to wear my shades (that decision didn't look too inspired for the first few cloudy miles :rolleyes:) as it was now straight into our eyes.
    At mile 15 pacer No 2 cut loose his balloon. And that was the end of the 3:45 pacers for me.
    At mile 16 I felt both calves starting to cramp. Not good. kept moving and changed my stride pattern a few times hoping to alleviate this. At mile 18 both thighs joined in on the cramping act too. It was now getting sore. Very sore. On I went. Was barely lifting my legs from the road as I now shuffled along. Mile 19, still shuffling. And I knew my pace had dropped right back. Then things went downhill at an unstoppable pace. My head desserted me and I became dizzy and disorientated. The exact same thing had happenend me at mile 21 in 2008 :(.:( I veered off the road looking for a hole in the ground to swallow me. None to be found. I hobbled aimlessly on with concern from alot of spectators re my well-being. Was filled with grief at the thought of a DNF, but that was now my race. Felt as low as hell for all my family and friends who had supported me and wished me well, and made sacrifices to facilitate my months of training. And all I was gonna return with was a DNF to show them. At this stage my race was over. With over 6 miles to go, I couldn't even imagine walking to the next water station just to get water. But that's what I had to do. And it felt like an eternity before it appeared before me on Foster\s Ave (?). I took water on board and also took 2 neurofen I had stashed in my belt (little did I know how dependent I would be on them). On I walked, and walked with hundreds passing me. Turned for home and with the UCD flyover in sight I decided a few stretches might help as my head had regained some modicum of composure. Tried to stretch out the quads against a lamp-post only for both my legs to spasm into full cramp. If I thought what had gone on before was pain, this was a whole different level. But funnily enough, to try and alleviate this pain I began to run slowly. Very slowly. Up the UCD flyover and down again. Don't get me wrong my legs were still in bits but hey look at me I'm running!! OK, my head was back, my legs decided to co-operate (albeit under strong protest) and I looked up to see the 22mile mark. 3:20 on my watch.OK Plan B time - I said to myself 4 x 10 min miles would bring me home in or aroung 4 hr. Then the black balloons that were the 4:00 pace group passed me. In fact there was only one pacer holding both balloons and he seemed to be gliding along - was this Amadeus, fair dues to whom ever it was. And I took it mile by mile thereafter. Passed a Boards vest (tall ginger chap) on Nutley lane who had slowed to a walk and urged him on - but I knew the only person who could get him moving again was himself. Hope he got it together again.
    Mile 23 - 3:30, Mile 24 - 3:39, Mile 25 - 3:49.
    Met the wall of noise then and met my wife's cousin at Dame St. and that gave me a big lift. Tried speeding up and I think I managed a small bit of acceleration along Nassua St., but I knew the 365 yards would be the undoing of sub 4 hr. And so it proved as I crossed the line in (chip time) 4:00:12.
    Disappointed that the 3:45 eluded me - damn yes :mad:. I don't think I could have put more into my training programme, and as a few others have said - I just think that I'm not cut out for marathon running. It ain't my thing despite how much I love to be involved in the event and even the training doesn't put me off.
    However, I did manage to pull a half-decent finish time out of a seemingly hopeless situation. I did pull out some mental resolve I didn't know I had. And a PB by almost 27 mins to boot :D.

Big shout out to my buddy Sean H, who with an interrupted training programme pulled a magnificent 3:18 out of the bag. Now he is cut out for marathon running.

Oh and NEVER AGAIN. Probably :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well done Eli, great race report, and a great time, smashing your pb. Yesterday was the toughest thing I have ever done. It takes huge heart to finish when you feel that bad.

I, like you, am not sure I'm cut out for marathon running. 10k and half marathons are fun, great to meet up with people, run fast and have a laugh. Marathons are not fun, but an amazing experience nonetheless.

By the way, your log is great fun, really gave me a good laugh at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

sent you PM re training during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

you know you will be back....

Are you planning any other races before the end of the year?

Are you back out running lunch?

Might try meet you some lunch for a light slow jog..

Well slow for you but top speed for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

you know you will be back....

Swore never again, and OH said NEVER AGAIN (:D) but have already checked out three (yes, 3) spring marathons on the continent. Revised my oath to the OH and said I'd never do Dublin again.....

Are you planning any other races before the end of the year?

Was hoping to do the Inniscarra 4 mile on the 22/11 but blue baby is having a birthday party that day.
    Will hopefully do either the 5K 'Turkey Trot' in Mahon or the Waterford Half Marathon on the same date (12-12-09) - bit of a difference between the race distances but will make up my mind within the next couple of weeks.

Are you back out running lunch?

Started back last week - a few light sessions. Am starting to pick it up a small bit now.
    Will hopefully join Happy73 and his group for some speed training (God knows I need it) once a week.

Might try meet you some lunch for a light slow jog..

Send PM - and we can sort something.

Well slow for you but top speed for me :D

Don't know about that! - was well impressed with your recent Half' and Full marathon times ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

If you plan to do the Waterford Half I might see you there as I've just signed up for that.

I'm thinking of doing Connemara at the moment but nothing decided.. or at least I've not asked for permission yet ;)

I was happy with DCM although would love to get sub4.. maybe next year.. I did take over 30mins off my previous attempt! Went through half way in 1h59 and was going along happily until around mile 15 or 16.. went down hill from there.. I didn't have enough long runs done.. finished 4h14 More planning next year me thinks..
    I might even try keeping a training log:rolleyes:

I've also just started back doing a few light runs but it's getting harder to get out the door at lunch with the weather.. Although I did a tough enough run today up the airport hill and legs felt good

Advertisement