Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using deposit in lieu of last months rent.

Options
  • 29-06-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

My tenants, dont have a formal lease as I was renting rooms out, have decided to get their own place. Thats fine but they want to use their deposit as the last months rent. I dont want this for obvious reasons and have told them so.

What rights do I have to force them to pay the rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you cant force them to give you the money but as it appears these are rooms in your house you have the right to tell them to leave your property with immediate effect as they dont have the same rights as tennants renting a full property or under a lease.

so if they dont pay up tell them to pack up and move out the same day simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with that either. If I was in that situation, I would explain clearly what legally the deposit is for ie repairs etc, and how these cannot be ascertained until their last day of tenancy at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

OK well I told them all I was not happy to accept the deposit in lieu of rent. One replied to say she will not be paying the rent as she is worried she wont get the deposit back cos she has no lease and does not have my home address. I do not operate like that and she has reneaged on bills before which she swears she has paid but could not prove it. It was only €30 so I let it go at the time.

She only rents a room in my houose.

I have told her she must pay and if she doesnt then she has until tomorrow to get out. Am I being fair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

More than fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Jo King wrote: »
    More than fair.

So then I change the locks on her room?

• Advertisement

And the front door. Wait till she gets back and tries to get in. Tell her you want her old keys back and you will put her stuff in bags for her to take away. You will also give her back what remains of her deposit when she has taken her stuff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If she is renting a room in your house, she does have your home address though.

I am finding tenants are getting more pushy with the economy now, as have had potential lodgers ask if the deposit was the last month's rent on more than one occassion :eek:.

You should inform her that you intend to change the locks, but tell her when she is out at work or something, saying you are changing the locks, and she wont be given a key without the deposit. What she says works both ways ie you not having money to cover outstanding bills, damages etc. Can you legally take the lock change out of her deposit? I am not sure myself in this type of scenario, but may be worth checking out.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    OK well I told them all I was not happy to accept the deposit in lieu of rent. One replied to say she will not be paying the rent as she is worried she wont get the deposit back cos she has no lease and does not have my home address. I do not operate like that and she has reneaged on bills before which she swears she has paid but could not prove it. It was only €30 so I let it go at the time.

She only rents a room in my houose.

I have told her she must pay and if she doesnt then she has until tomorrow to get out. Am I being fair?

More than fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not much help now I know but the deposit should always be more than a single month's rent just to cater for messing like this.

Hagar wrote: »
    Not much help now I know but the deposit should always be more than a single month's rent just to cater for messing like this.

that will never happen. why ? because eery other landlord is accepting 1 months rent so why would somebody agree to give you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Am I being fair?
    Probably, but get legal advice if you are evicting someone like this.
    One replied to say she will not be paying the rent as she is worried she wont get the deposit back cos she has no lease and does not have my home address.
    Give her a completed rent book, with all the details and the payments you have received filled in and signed off. Give her your address as the rented premises or your parents place or you solicitors office. :)

Victor wrote: »
    Probably, but get legal advice if you are evicting someone like this.

No legal advise needed. Shes renting a room in her house and has effectively the same rights as a guest i.e none.

belongings in a black bag, change the locks bye bye.

Hagar wrote: »

About as much help as contact lenses to a blind man! If a two months deposit had been paid the lodger would just try to stop paying rent for the last two months. Whether anybody would pay a deposit greater than one month is another matter. Most unlikely in the current rental market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I posted a response here on Monday and it has gone.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

First and last months rent is the only honourable and decent way
    in this kind of situation .
    The deposit is not supposed to cover repairs - They should come out of
    the rent .
    Many landlords unfairly withhold deposits so it is understandable that
    the tenant would act this way .
    Why not do a survey of the room now , while she is still living there .

complicit wrote: »
    The deposit is not supposed to cover repairs - .

If the repairs / damage are caused by the tennant outsid eof normal wear and tear thats exactly what the deposit is for.

And who decides what constitutes normal wear and tear and what is caused by the tenant . The greedy landlord ?

And who decides what constitutes normal wear and tear and what is caused by the tenant . The greedy landlord ?

Well its pretty easy to tell whats damage and whats wear and tear. :rolleyes:

Are you a landlord or involved in some capacity in that area . Because you
    sound to me like you have an interest in defending landlords .

Are you a landlord or involved in some capacity in that area . Because you
    sound to me like you have an interest in defending landlords .
    No im not Im just somebody whos compelled to respond to ludacris and ill informed comments. if you actually follow my posts on this forum you will see i defend both landlords and tennants interests depending on the situation.as for being concenred about "greedy landlords" that swhy there is a dispute process available to both landlords and tennants via the PRTB. If a tennant believes all or part of thier deposit was being witheld without due reason they can raise this and have it adjucated on impartially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

to the OP, be very careful.
    ill give the benefit of the doubt and presume you are mixing up splitting up an investment property with the rent-a-room scheme.
    you have stated that the tenants do not know your home address.
    this means you are not covered by the rent a room scheme.
    much of the advice here relates to the rent a room scheme.

i am under the impression that you will need to give notice or contact the PRTB.
    im sure there are very large fines for landlords who change the locks on tenants.

they will also have your PPS number so you are not anonymous.

unless you are using the rent a room scheme and haven't given your PPS number. then your fcuked and i hope you get whats coming to you

subway wrote: »
    to the OP, be very careful.
    ill give the benefit of the doubt and presume you are mixing up splitting up an investment property with the rent-a-room scheme.
    you have stated that the tenants do not know your home address.
    this means you are not covered by the rent a room scheme.
    much of the advice here relates to the rent a room scheme.

i am under the impression that you will need to give notice or contact the PRTB.
    im sure there are very large fines for landlords who change the locks on tenants.

they will also have your PPS number so you are not anonymous.

unless you are using the rent a room scheme and haven't given your PPS number. then your fcuked and i hope you get whats coming to you

The rent a room scheme is a tax scheme only. It has nothing to do with tenure or interests in the property. The occupants in this house have individual agreements with respect to bedrooms in the house. Since none of them are occupiers of a self contained dwelling they are not covered by the PRTB.
    Below is a PRTB decision.

"Under the agreement entered into in December 2003 the Tenant is merely entitled to exclusive occupation of one bedroom and he shares other facilities including the kitchen, bathroom facilities and reception area facilities with other occupants.

The Landlord was of the view that the Tenant was not entitled to put a new lock onto the bedroom door. The Tenant contested this.

It is clear from the evidence that the letting does not come within the definition of “dwelling” as set out in section 4 of the Act of 2004. The shared facilities afforded to the Tenant could not be considered to be a “bed-sit” or any other form of “self-contained residential unit”.

It follows that the relationship between Landlord and Tenant is outside the scope of application of the Act of 2004 and the Tribunal does not have jurisdiction to determine the dispute."

can you ;link to that judgment please.
    ive never heard of it before.
    and i would be interested to know how you came to that interpreattion that it means this isnt a tenant / landlord siatution.

just to add, if the person is renting out a room in their own home, it fundamentally changes the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, if the landlord isn't living there, the 'change the locks' scenario could be VERY, VERY expensive if the tenant knows their rights.

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Yeah, if the landlord isn't living there, the 'change the locks' scenario could be VERY, VERY expensive if the tenant knows their rights.

What rights?

TR10/DR532&589/2006. 27 April 2006 that is the relevant PRTB decision. The landlord living there or not is irrelevant. The letting is not covered by the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

The Deposit is not for rent so yes I would kick them out if the rent is not paid and give them back the deposit when you get the key back off them.
    I have had lodgers before and I write down the agreement that one months notice is to be given by both parties and that the deposit to be returned once all outstanding bills are paid less any amount if damages, and I sign it and they sign it and both have a copy. This is a good idea especially if you have a landline as I have had foreign tennants ruin up huge oversees calls in their last few weeks thinking that when they leave the bill won't have come in, but the agreement is that they get their deposit back after outstanding bill are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The links in question are:
    Complaint: http://www.prtb.ie/2006Disputes/TRIBUNAL06/TR10_Report.pdf
    Decision: http://www.prtb.ie/2006Disputes/Tribunal/DOTR10_06.pdf

I think jo king is assuming that any instance in which people share a house is not covered by the PRTB under that ruling, but i can't necessarily see that, it seems that in this specific case the lease was drawn up in a way that specifically precluded it from being considered a 'self contained dwelling' under the terms of the 2004 act, but i can't imagine that applies in the general case, unless there are other cases with similar scenarios?

Ste.phen wrote: »
    The links in question are:
    Complaint: http://www.prtb.ie/2006Disputes/TRIBUNAL06/TR10_Report.pdf
    Decision: http://www.prtb.ie/2006Disputes/Tribunal/DOTR10_06.pdf

I think jo king is assuming that any instance in which people share a house is not covered by the PRTB under that ruling, but i can't necessarily see that, it seems that in this specific case the lease was drawn up in a way that specifically precluded it from being considered a 'self contained dwelling' under the terms of the 2004 act, but i can't imagine that applies in the general case, unless there are other cases with similar scenarios?

I am not doing anything of the kind. The o/p is specifically referring to her situation where the individual bedrooms are let. If there is a group sharing a house the entire group may have a lease of a self contained dwelling and would come under the remit of the PRTB. I am not commenting bout the general situation I am commenting on the topic raised.

IANAL, perhaps Jo King is, but i would still suggest the OP get legal counsel or advice from the PRTB before making a decision based on the info provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

My tenants, dont have a formal lease

Why didn't you give them a formal lease? That's very amateurish behaviour for someone with a tenant.

I suggest next time you do things professionally.

Advertisement