Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Out Process? Deposit/utilities etc

Options
  • 29-06-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Just looking for some advice on what the usual process is when a tenant says they're moving out at the end of their lease.

This is my 1st time as a landlord handling this process.

- When do I give back the deposit
    - what's the procedure with utilities
    - Any other tips welcomed

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The ideal approach would be the following:

1. Meet the tenant on the day of the move out at the premises.

2. Run through inventory of the place, check for damage beyond normal wear and tear etc.

3. With the tenant present, take meter readings, get the tenant to call up the ESB/Bord Gais and submit meter readings, and provide their own forwarding address for the last bills.

4. Once satisfied with everything, return deposit. I don't see why this can't be done on the day. There seems to be a tendency for this part to take a week or weeks, but I don't see why it should.

The only part of any contention probably centres on bills. Landlords are wary of tenants leaving and not paying bills, however if point 3 is followed and they have to verify their account details and so on then this should put the landlord in the clear if the tenant subsequently decides not to pay or tries to cancel direct debits or anything. I note that Bord Gais in particular is now insisting on deposits regardless of whether direct debit is the payment method or not. I think the ESB still requires no deposit if you pay by DD. There may be other bills that might need to be taken care of, I wouldn't worry about NTL or the like in my experience, as their contract is with the tenant without specificity to the address. Refuse might be one to watch out for, dependent on service. It's probably in your name anyway. Just try to satisfy yourself and the tenant that everything has been cleared, and so the deposit can be returned.

There you go, my few steps toward closing everything off and starting afresh. It should be a simple process but is turned into an awful ordeal by many. It needn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SouthO

Thank you very much for the reply...you've been very helpful.

Advertisement