Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House waiting list

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have been on a council waiting list for a year and a half now. I am a single mother but lately am getting on very well with my ex. If we got back together would i lose my place in the housing list? I would love if someone could help me please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

have you rang the council and told them your ex's situation? work/earnings etc and asked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine you will be assessed at intervals and you will need to tell them the truth then.

I'm not sure if mother+children is further up the line than couple+children, you will need to look at the scoring system that they use. They will also take living arrangements into account, e.g. if you are renting or in unsuitable accommodation, will move you up the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cassidy1

ntlbell wrote: »
    have you rang the council and told them your ex's situation? work/earnings etc and asked them?
    Hi Thanks. its my first time on here and everyone is so friendly!!

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine you will be assessed at intervals and you will need to tell them the truth then.

I'm not sure if mother+children is further up the line than couple+children, you will need to look at the scoring system that they use. They will also take living arrangements into account, e.g. if you are renting or in unsuitable accommodation, will move you up the line.
    Thanks. Its my first time here and everyone is so friendly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It depends if your partner is working or not. Its well known that single mothers with kids(more the merrier) get a preference than those mothers that are with their partner.

Before the pc brigade jump down my throat, it ain't stereotyping as i know a couple of 'families' in the same position who got a house on the housing list.

It took 3 years for one mother with 3 kids to get a house in the preferred area while the partner quietly lives with her. They will never get married as it suits them financially and accommodation wise not to.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    It depends if your partner is working or not. Its well known that single mothers with kids(more the merrier) get a preference than those mothers that are with their partner.

Before the pc brigade jump down my throat, it ain't stereotyping as i know a couple of 'families' in the same position who got a house on the housing list.

It took 3 years for one mother with 3 kids to get a house in the preferred area while the partner quietly lives with her. They will never get married as it suits them financially and accommodation wise not to.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

gurramok wrote: »
    Its well known that single mothers with kids(more the merrier) get a preference than those mothers that are with their partner.

Not necessarily true. Most local authorities allocate tenancies based on a points system. Points are awarded under a range of headings including size of household. For example, Dublin City Council awards a single applicant 5 points plus 3 points per child but a couple gets 25 points plus 3 per child giving a clear advantage to couples.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/scheme_of_letting_priorities.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ollaetta wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. Most local authorities allocate tenancies based on a points system. Points are awarded under a range of headings including size of household. For example, Dublin City Council awards a single applicant 5 points plus 3 points per child but a couple gets 25 points plus 3 per child giving a clear advantage to couples.

http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/scheme_of_letting_priorities.pdf

What are the income guidelines for the working partner? (this counts alot in determining if they get on the list at all hence my point previously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

If I remember correctly the single person income limit was €32,000 a few years ago and the couple limit was €38,500. I think the idea of keeping the couple limit down was to encourage applicants to try other options such as affordable housing etc. but whether or not that is relevant anymore is open to debate.

Thanks guys sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Could anyone give a rough idea of how lengthy the waiting list for housing is in their area?

Advertisement