Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT on second hand items from outside the E.U...

• 29-06-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I was wondering, does anyone know if a family member (living in the U.S.A) was to post a camera that they bought in the U.S.A and shipped it over to Ireland, can you get caught for customs VAT even though they had already been using it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Yes youuwill have to pay customs VAT (if u get caught), I had to pay it on canon camera I bought secondhand a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

i wonder if there's a difference though because you paid for the item but i won't be paying. what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

i think your question should be directed to revenue.ie

I think this is what you are looking for;

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html
    Relief from payment of Customs Duty and VAT is allowed on gift consignments from outside of the EC. where the following conditions are met:

The value of the gift does not exceed €45.
    The gift is correctly declared (see paragraph 5).
    It has been sent from a private person abroad to another private person within the EC
    The gift is for the personal or family use of a private individual in Ireland.
    There is no commercial or trade element i.e. the goods have not been paid for.
    Alcohol, tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters are within the allowances set out in paragraph 4.3 (no relief from VAT or Excise Duty). Anything over those allowances is liable to charges.
    The gift is of an occasional nature only, such as a birthday or anniversary.

Unless your camera equipment isn't worth very much then my reading of this is that you are still liable for customs / tax. It kinda stands to reason if you think about it.

There is further information on the link which will be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

that's perfect, thank ye so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

You are liable to pay customs tax on everything imported from outside the EU abover a certain limit (circa €80). When I got married a few years back I was taxed on presents sent from the USA from my wifes family!

• Advertisement
Advertisement