Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway Ram??

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi i'm no expert but none the less i want to buy extra ram for a old computer i just want to store some business stuff on....

its a Gateway as far a i can reed on the case....ATXSTF OXN1000 serial no: 0001852721. Its a windows me version which i want to upgrade to xp?

i'v searched all the online shops looking for ram but cannot seem to find the correct model number. i have taken the ram out and all it really says on it is ... synch, 133mhz ..

can any body tell me (apart from dont bother doing it) what ram is compatible with this machine? thanks for the help Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That would appear to be SDRAM 133Mhz known as PC133 SDRAM.

Will check to see if the details you gave shed any light on more info.

Can you see if the RAM looks like this?

transcend-pc133-sdram_3352.jpg

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

thanks! yes it looks like that a bit...but cant be sure if its the exact same...from what i can tell or read it can only be upgraded to 756mb or there abouts...

Take a photo of the RAM stick and post it up here, you can attach pitures to posts in the advanced reply link.

How many RAM slots are there? 3? That would mean 256MB per stick of RAM so if your investigations are correct about the max RAM, what do you want to use this for, storing files to be accessed via network or directly from the PC? If via the network then how much RAM is in the machine now 128MB / 256MB ? 512 would be plenty for XP on a machine of that era, have two machines running similar specs to that using just 256 but they are on Linux/Red Hat which is a little easier on resources.

Let us know the info asked above and we can advise you further.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

thanks you are being very helpful! but yes it has 3 slots and i will not be connecting it to a network or anything, i will just be using it for storing invoices and doing accounts for a small business i am setting up.

the biggest thing i might install on the computer is sage instant accounts, and as far as i can read should work fine with xp and 768mb ram,

i will upload an picture as soon as i can!

According to here: http://sage.ie/ps/accounting/instant/InstantAccounts.asp 768MB should be fine.

MC

• Advertisement
Advertisement