Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out For This Money Scam!

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all, I run a Petrol Station and shop in N. Tipp.
    I made this thread so all that work in retail and the likes are aware of this scam, and to share with people how cunning and sly(very)these people are.

It's very simple but effective.
    Large male approaches with a wad of 50s or 100s notes.
    Asks for change in 20s or 10s, about 300 quids worth.
    If he recieves his change he will thank you politely and walk away.
    He will then return soon after claiming he was short changed.
    I know this i where i say "piss off" right??
    But, the large male will always pick the smallest and youngest of the female staff and demands menacingly. So they normally cough up.

This has never happened when i have been in the premisis.
    I hope he tries it!!

Tell yer granny's to watch their bags when there shopping too.
    They'll use diversionary tactics to get into her hand bag

Bottom line... Be wary of this scam
    Cheers..P
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Traditional scam all over the world, not restricted to any group in particular.

If someone asks for that much change, tell them you're a petrol station, not a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its not a "gypsey" scam - its a common enough scam as Victor says. I've edited your post accordingly - its not fair to single out one group as perpetrators.

Easiest way around it is to tell them to get lost, or count the money into their hand, one note at a time. They have no comeback then.

As for grannies watching their bags, it's common sense no matter where you are or what you're doing. There are alot of opportunistic assholes around these days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    Its not a "gypsey" scam - its a common enough scam as Victor says. I've edited your post accordingly - its not fair to single out one group as perpetrators.

Easiest way around it is to tell them to get lost, or count the money into their hand, one note at a time. They have no comeback then.

As for grannies watching their bags, it's common sense no matter where you are or what you're doing. There are alot of opportunistic assholes around these days.....

I only told the story the way it happened... why do you edit the fact that they were romanian gypsys when they clearly were romanian gypsys...I only want to point out the fact that there is a gang of them trying this around N. tipp.... Thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

pinion wrote: »
    I only told the story the way it happened... why do you edit the fact that they were romanian gypsys when they clearly were romanian gypsys...I only want to point out the fact that there is a gang of them trying this around N. tipp.... Thats all

+1

You're not a racist if you say that roman gypsies in Tipp town tried to scam your shop. Political correctness gone nuts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Overblood wrote: »
    +1

You're not a racist if you say that roman gypsies in Tipp town tried to scam your shop. Political correctness gone nuts here.
    +1
    The guy was stating the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You ended your post with a general "be wary of [all] gipseys"

How is that making people aware of a gang of criminals in your area. their ethnicity is irrelevant, and youdid not suggest for people to be wary of any particular gipsey, but [all] gypseys.

Now, if you wish to discuss a criminal gang who targetted your shop, by all means do, but if you want to make an anti-gypsey rant, then go elsewhere.

+1

That is not what he said. I suggest you get your facts straight before opening your gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

roman
    Who said they were Italian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pinion

Thanks for the heads up Billy...now i see how it may seem. i'm not the best at constructing "pc" sentences.
    Anyways, keep your eyes open in the premier county

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah, used to work in a cinema, and the scam was done by coloured people, Italian people, lads from the local halting site (whom you'd come to know after working in said cinema for about 3 months), general Irish people, etc. And they'd be known, as they'd scout out who was "new" in the cinema, and con them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

And you can't even agree with someone without getting a PM with an "infraction" whatever that is ?? Power mad people about this forum !!!
    I presume I get banned for even stating this ? Sad ........
    Your quite a pathetic mod, not even got the balls to do this in public .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bigbadben

Thanks for the info. The fact that you've described them helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bigbadben

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    And you can't even agree with someone without getting a PM with an "infraction" whatever that is ?? Power mad people about this forum !!!
    I presume I get banned for even stating this ? Sad ........
    Your quite a pathetic mod, not even got the balls to do this in public .....

Did you actually get a pm for saying +1

Thats awful. Maybe he wants you to pm him everytime you want to express an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

That is not what he said. I suggest you get your facts straight before opening your gob.

Not a great way for a mod to respond ( opening your gob ) Who moderates the moderators.For having that view I will probably be sent to the dungeons.

I have better things to be doing than to be infracting people who ignore a simple instruction

This discussion is over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement