Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7

Options
  • 29-06-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of getting this and how will it effect your gaming if so? I've not tried the beta yet but may get the full package in a few months. Do people think there will be many trouble with backwards compatibility (games that were programmed for XP)?

And how soon will this be an essential upgrade (or will we still be installing games on XP systems 5 years from now).

Any thoughts? I've only had a windows gaming setup for 1 year, so sorry in advance for any glaring ignorance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Large thread available here.

I've been using duel boot XP/7 since March though haven't used XP for weeks now.

Playing AmrA 2 demo, BF2, ETQW and GTA:4 with zero problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's pretty close to the RC then it's gonna be great. Backwards compatibility is great from what I've tried. Some things don't have drivers but the majority do and pretty much every program I've tried has worked. The few compatibility problems should be ironed out by or shortly after release hopefully. I haven'ttried many older programs though.

Once you build a pc with more than 4GBs ram then it'll be an essential upgrade. XP 64 bit was rubbish last time I checked. If you never have a pc with more than 4GBs ram then it'll only be essential when a lot of components don't have xp drivers. I still think it's a great upgrade though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

XP 64 was rubbish. 7 64 is great though, working well so far. I must try some of the older games out to see how they work. I'd trouble getting Diablo 2 to work for Vista Ultimate 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I get 10fps less in Crysis and Warhead on Windows 7 64bit compared to Vista 64bit with the same graphics driver, I guess the drivers need to mature for Windows 7. I have an image of my current Vista OS partion (just Vista, no games) and another with Windows 7 installed with all the same drivers so I can ghost to Windows 7 in 10 mins and go back to Vista in 10 mins also. Huge gaming performance drop in all games, I've tried a few different graphics drivers but makes no difference, its 7 thats not performing as well as this tweaked Vista. From what I've read the release candidate is tweaked for stability not performance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I would say the graphic card drivers certainly need to mature but in all fairness remember how long it took for nvidia to get their act together for Vista, can't see the same happening this time

• Advertisement
Advertisement