Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trolley scandal in lidl

Options
  • 29-06-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Went to Lidl to do full shop, usually amounts to €200 per week. Didn't have relevant coin for trolley. Asked assistant if she could release trolley for me which she declined as she informed me that no device was available to staff to carry this out. Enquired if she had any other ideas to free trolley and she offered to cash my €50 note so that I could use the necessary coin for same. This wasn't a problem but when I enquired as to why she wouldn't simply take a coin from the till she informed me that it would upset her float!!!In my opinion and in present times I would have assumed that it was in this employees best interest to do whatever it took to release that trolley to ensure that I filled it, thus putting money in the pockets of her employers. Alerted this lady that I would shop instead in a neighbouring supermarket and she seemed unfazed at the fact that I would be spending my cash elsewhere.Groceries totalled €174 at competitor store. Thought recessionary times meant that retailers would do whatever it took to keep the business but my experience today would without doubt indicate otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Next time bring a euro for the trolley. If they started giving out a euro to everyone in this situation said euros wouldn't be long mounting up and would be taken out of their wages.

And it's hardly a scandal now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

no offence but you sound like the shopper from hell. Back in my college days I worked part time in a shop and we had a give and take of €3 on the till before questions were asked, this is over a shift were you'd have thousands running through the till. The girl probably needs her job more than your custom tbh.

Can't see joe duffy giving much air time to this scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 del-boy17

Have to agree with assistant. She can't go handing out euros to all customers. And is if fair for her to decide to only give them to people who spend alot in the shop?

You are in the wrong. Bring a euro with you next time, the trolly is free as you the get the euro back when your finished with it.

You could have easily changed the 50 as you would be spending it anyway when you finished your shop.

To be honest, she was probably unfazed because she was delighted you left - one less rude customer with silly request to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Alerted this lady that I would shop instead in a neighbouring supermarket and she seemed unfazed at the fact that I would be spending my cash elsewhere.

:D I'll never shop in Lidl again in support of your brave action Hoganpoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eire_prince

a key fob that has a token which you can use in the trolleys, mind you you got to remember to take the token back for the next time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

If you shopped at Tesco, which isnt at all too pricey, they would have a key and gladly have released a trolly for you.

Lidl & Aldi are good value but
    a) no good will to customers
    b) no high trollies or disabled trollies for customers with mobity problem
    c) look at you like an alien if you ask for a hand to the car, you maybe pregnant, elderly, disabled or unwell & they dont care.

Sometimes it isnt just the product you pay for, it is the customer service & i find Tesco will do anything for any customer any time, with a smile even!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

20 cent coin will work in most of them, handy if you don't have a single euro coin in your pocket of shrapnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

a key fob that has a token which you can use in the trolleys, mind you you got to remember to take the token back for the next time

FFS. How much are they? just bring a euro for Gods sake:mad:

Yes, i too think she should have stole from her float and potentially risked her job in order to make sure that Lidl get an extra few euro in their pocket (of which she will see none).

Bring a euro, cash your €50, or don't use a trolley. Your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Went to Lidl to do full shop, usually amounts to €200 per week. Didn't have relevant coin for trolley. Asked assistant if she could release trolley for me which she declined as she informed me that no device was available to staff to carry this out. Enquired if she had any other ideas to free trolley and she offered to cash my €50 note so that I could use the necessary coin for same. This wasn't a problem but when I enquired as to why she wouldn't simply take a coin from the till she informed me that it would upset her float!!!In my opinion and in present times I would have assumed that it was in this employees best interest to do whatever it took to release that trolley to ensure that I filled it, thus putting money in the pockets of her employers. Alerted this lady that I would shop instead in a neighbouring supermarket and she seemed unfazed at the fact that I would be spending my cash elsewhere.Groceries totalled €174 at competitor store. Thought recessionary times meant that retailers would do whatever it took to keep the business but my experience today would without doubt indicate otherwise.

How is it her fault you forgot to bring coins? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Babbit

medeame wrote: »
    c) look at you like an alien if you ask for a hand to the car, you maybe pregnant, elderly, disabled or unwell & they dont care.

Sometimes it isnt just the product you pay for, it is the customer service & i find Tesco will do anything for any customer any time, with a smile even!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Why is it a minimum wage persons perogative to help some D4 nave with her bags to the car? In fairness? Usually in Lidyl they are understaffed and overworked. I worked in a supermarket for many years so can emphasise with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you shopped at Tesco, which isnt at all too pricey, they would have a key and gladly have released a trolly for you.

:confused:

Tesco nearly have their own forum here with the amount of threads there have been, whereas with Aldi and Lidl there are plenty of tales of peopel bringing back stuff just inside the 1 year warranty and havign it swapped for new or refunded.

In fact, theres very rarely threads about them that arent either the persons own fault or them beign ridiculous (like the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm always left stunned that people like OP manage to stay alive day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

"These recessionary times" should not be used as an excuse to treat poorly paid workers like crap - they're not paid on commission, so why would she care if you went to another shop? You were only putting yourself out. You were going to have to change your precious fifty at some stage anyways!

As a matter of interest, how did you get your trolley at the competitor store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Babbit

aoibhebree wrote: »
    "These recessionary times" should not be used as an excuse to treat poorly paid workers like crap - they're not paid on commission, so why would she care if you went to another shop? You were only putting yourself out. You were going to have to change your precious fifty at some stage anyways!

As a matter of interest, how did you get your trolley at the competitor store?

To be honest, unless you have 10 children, 200 euro's doesn't need to be spent on the weekly shop. Methinks the OP is well fit to break a 50 for a bloody euro coin - why should she get special treatment?

(Good post BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm always left stunned that people like OP manage to stay alive day to day.

I'm amazed that people would still go to do a full shop and not bring a euro coin, knowing full well that they'll need one to get the trolley. It's not exactly a new practice, it's been in place since the old money.

Calling it a scandal is more than a little OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

OP..... get a grip..... don't be clogging up my beloved boards with this nonsense, if you that stuck for a € pm your address and I'll send one to you.... along with a b itch slap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You're *ahem* off your trolley if you think that is a scandal.

Sorry.

But really, you expect her to steal from her till so you can have a trolley instead of the perfectly reasonable option of changing money to get you a Euro coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

20 cent coin will work in most of them, handy if you don't have a single euro coin in your pocket of shrapnel.

The amount of trollies I've seen with a 20c coin wedged in the lock, resulting in someone having to be called to open the lock to get it out again...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

b) no high trollies or disabled trollies for customers with mobity problem

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

I think this is a bit of a nonsense imho. The customer service in Lidl (haven't shoppped regularly in Aldi so can't comment on that store) far exceeds that found in Tesco. Staff are always pleasant and eager to help and goods are returned without any bother at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

I wonder would you have been honest enough to drop the euro back...

At least the assistant had the decency to offer to change your 50 for you... It sounds as though this assistant was more than accommodating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

thats on of the stupidest rants ive heard.

If you went to aldi or tesco you would still need that euro for the trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

My God, my God, my God!!!
    I seen this thread thinking it might be something such as Lidl were putting bad advertisements on the trollies or something, but c'mon!!! There are loads of customer issues, overcharging etc, but c'mon!!!!!
    Groceries totalled €174 at competitor store. Thought recessionary times meant that retailers would do whatever it took to keep the business but my experience today would without doubt indicate otherwise.

Maybe it might have been an inconvienience if you only had €173 to pay for the groceries at the checkout! :D
    Everyone get to Lidl - keep asking for trollies - after a day you'll surely have a few hundred euro's earned! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Persil gave this away free, on a little key chain. Lidl dont sell persil but all the other supermarkets do :p

You can get this one free from pigsback once you cash in 300 points.

getafrisbeehereforonly7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say the OP is completely right. I've no reason other than I feel sorry for her at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The assistant offered to change a note for you so you would have change, what more did you want? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

calex71 wrote: »
    The assistant offered to change a note for you so you would have change, what more did you want? :mad:

Free money I think. Sure shouldn't shop staff be giving money away without permission in these recessionary times, risking their jobs so that Mr Lidl can make a few more quid from the woman who'll keep moving until she finds a shop that will give away free money

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OP get a grip for christs sake, its not a scandal its you just forgetting to bring a euro, who doesnt have a few bits of change lying around at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This wasn't a problem but when I enquired as to why she wouldn't simply take a coin from the till she informed me that it would upset her float!!!In my opinion and in present times I would have assumed that it was in this employees best interest to do whatever it took to release that trolley to ensure that I filled it, thus putting money in the pockets of her employers.
    Wait... wait, just so I get this straight: you want her to give people free money so that they buy stuff in the store? Cop on lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Sometimes, I hear stupid whines like this, and it makes me want to give each and every Lidl and Aldi staffer a hug.

Imagine having to routinely deal with this kind of deluded entitlement?

Jaysus wept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement