Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting around broadworks?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I was looking at getting in UPC broadband but have since found out that Broadworks has some kind of contract with the estate. I'm wondering if there is any way around this situation as from some of the other threads I've read Broadworks don't seem to have a great rep.
    I have Eircom broadband at the moment dont want to pay line rental any longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If UPC aren't in your area, then you can't get UPC. There's no way around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

UPC are available in the area its just that the estate / developer has some type of agreement with this broadworks crowd, so now I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with broadworks, are they worth getting in? Or even better if anyone has experience of getting rid of broadworks and being able to choose for myself who I take my tv/broadband out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes, but UPC won't come into an estate that has an exclusivity deal with another provider, nor will they lay cable for a single customer. There's no way around a deal like this, except to go with an alternate like DSL or fixed wireless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Diceicle wrote: »
    UPC are available in the area its just that the estate / developer has some type of agreement with this broadworks crowd, so now I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with broadworks, are they worth getting in? Or even better if anyone has experience of getting rid of broadworks and being able to choose for myself who I take my tv/broadband out with.

Surely the easiest thing would be to ask your neighbours about their experienes with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I see, thanks for the info. I read in another thread dealing with Broadworks that they had a time limit on their exclusivity so that might be a way around it. Do you know off-hand what the cost of DSL or fixed wireless might be?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Diceicle wrote: »
    I see, thanks for the info. I read in another thread dealing with Broadworks that they had a time limit on their exclusivity so that might be a way around it. Do you know off-hand what the cost of DSL or fixed wireless might be?

Where are you living? Maybe i can tell you what exchange you are on?

Advertisement