Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V.sore 2 week old ear piercing-what should I do

Options
  • 29-06-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Got the top of my ear pierced 2 weeks ago with a little diamond stud. I have been SO vigilant cleaning and disinfecting it daily. I clean it with surgical spirit, then spray it with saline solution.
    However yest and today it has been really sore at the outer edge of my ear and it now looks like there are tiny little blisters. Should I persevere with what I am doing or remove it? (I really don't want to cos I love it!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Fist of all was it gunned or needled? Second, lay off the surgical spirit, I'd imagine it's a bit harsh on a fresh piercing. Your saline soultion is sufficient enough. And third, don't remove it just yet, as it can close up and trap any infections or whatever may be inside. Bear in mind carilage can take up to 16 months to fully heal so periods of soreness can happen. I'm not really sure about the blisters, could possibly be hyperthropic scarring (which sounds worse than it is) but w/o a pic its a bit hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As Atavan-halen said, leave the surgical spirits, that's way too harsh and will more than likely just aggravate the piercing. Dissolve a quarter of a teaspoon of sea salt in a pint of boiled water, let it cool till around body temperature, or a little above it, and soak your ear in this water. If you find this difficult, then get some of those make-up removal pads, and soak them in the solution, and apply that *GENTLY* to your piercing to let the salty water soak into the piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

same as the others. and adding that if you have keloids then use vitamin e oil on them- its not too severe on a new piercing. also don't take it out, its acting as a drain and its letting the infection out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

A diamond stud?

Something like these?
    GF_ear_stud_post.JPG

If you have something like the above and not a titanium barbell of some sort it will hugely impede any healing your body is trying to do.

Head to your local piercer and see what they have to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Hi Guys
    Thanks a mill for quick and really helpful replies.
    It was gunned (Georges St arcade)
    Will - it doesn't look like any of those earrings. I think it's the standard titanium job.
    Yes the surgical spirit was stinging the bejaysus out of it, so that's great that I can leave that out of the routine.

What are keloids? Sorry I haven't a clue.

I will try the salt water now.

Much appreciated and I will keep you updated. Glad to hear you all said to leave it in!!

(It was my daughter who made me get it done in the first place so I'll just blame her!)

• Advertisement

Go to any other piercing studio in town and get them to have a look.

Cartilage piercings should never be done with a gun, it uses brute force to smash through tissue, unlike a needle.

For your own health and safety please go to another studio and get them to have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

Will wrote: »
    Go to any other piercing studio in town and get them to have a look.

Cartilage piercings should never be done with a gun, it uses brute force to smash through tissue, unlike a needle.

For your own health and safety please go to another studio and get them to have a look

yeh id recommend snakebite cause they're supposed to be good at knowing what to do with a botch job! so ive been told anyway!

As Will said, head to any of the reputable piercing studios, and they'll replace the incorrect jewellery that you were given, be able to tell you if there are any problems with the piercing, and give you proper aftercare advice.

Please advise anyone that you know that is considering getting a piercing there to reconsider, and go to a proper piercing studio instead.

[edit]
    As ~me~ said, snakebite is one such studio. I have had nothing but great experiences there. They are top notch piercers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Never go near a piercing gun or anywhere that uses one again, and as others said, go to Snakebite, they'll sort ya out.

There are others around town to be found too. Snakebite is good though yeah, staff are nice and steve is professional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A bit off topic but where abouts is Snakebite? Haven't been there yet :(

Middle Abbey Street, opposite Arnotts, on the third floor of a building there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Above Traffic.

Thanks again everyone for that advice.
    I will head into Snakebite.
    I now feel sick at the thought of the gun being used.
    At least it's only an ear and not anywhere else!

Is there anywhere in Bray or around there that you would recommend ?

Massive improvement already by doing the sea salt and water thing.
    I just dipped my whole ear into it and gently rubbed around it. Will do it again in the morning.
    Thanks so much.

Just leave it soakin in the glass for a bit, then once you've had it in about 10mins or so, gently wipe around it , if the goo doesn't wanna come off don't force it cos you will do more damage otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

While I'm a big fan of tattoos, piercing never really appealed to me. (apart from a couple of real cool gold hoops in my lobes I used to sport a few years ago :rolleyes:) ... But I'm delighted to have stumbled on a forum where there are genuine people able to help out with advice like this that may not be readily available otherwise.
    I think I may have my eyebrow pierced.

I left it alone, just did the salt/water dip and saline spray and it is so much better - almost perfect (she said with fingers crossed)

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice cos I know a little ear may seem trivial compared to some serious piercings on this board but by God was it sore.
    So thank you for going through all your pain to help ease mine!!

Now what will I get done next???? (Needle not gun ever again!)

Advertisement