Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to charge for taken photos

• 29-06-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hey just wondering if anyone could give me advise on how much to charge for taken photos, i mostly take photos as a hobbie, but have some business interested in me doing photos for them, for there websites etc. i dont no even were to start with giving them prices, i dont wanna undersell my self or over price an scare them away, as im new to the idea of getting paid for taken photos, and would be happy to do the photos for free to have my photos on there web site, but dont want to be an ejit either ha,

any tips or advise would be great,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depends on what kind of pics they want you to take and what they want to use them for ?

you have to remember that its not just being there taking pics - theres also the processing afterwards.

I'm guessing they are not willing to pay professional prices (or maybe they saw some of your work and think you can do the job ...I dont know)....I would say to be careful ....

I did a job years ago (many many moons ago) - I was recommended by another photographer...did the job, agreed a price, sent the images and never received a payment.... after 2years of asking for money I gave up. (I wouldnt do that today..... nowadays - if I dont receive money after a while - (5-6months - and reminders sent every month) I get on to a solicitor ...money comes in within a month after they receive solicitors letter)

Basically agree a fee beforehand and dont be afraid to get tough - if they are slow to pay.

EDIT: Re-read your post ... they want pics for their website ...fair enough...which probably means they dont want to pay anything or very little, chances are that you will have to put a bit of time into taking pics specifically for them (ie. getting their branding in etc)..... have a read of this:

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/photo.html

I'm sure that you want to work for free so ask them what their budget is and what type of pics they want... agree a price and do the job - you will be earning some money and they will be getting some pics.... you already said you are only a hobbyist (we've all said that at some stage he he !!) so they shouldn't expect professional prices or professional results (no offence intended ...I don't know what your standard of work is)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Deano045

thanks for the reply,
    they seen pictures i had taken before and it fitted the bill for what they needed for there web page, and want my style of pictures and tolled me there whilling to pay- i just need to give them a price, its for a restaurant so people can see what the atmosphere is like in the place when they visit the web site, so they'l be used to advertise and promote there restaurant

thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You may get a better deal all round if you do some bartering. What I mean is instead of getting paid for the images directly do an exchange. You do the Photography & give them limited rights for usage, in exchange they give you a tab at the Restaurant.

If you are not professional then you are not relying on the income. The cost of the meal for them will be neglibible but worth a lot more to you. Everyone comes out a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Deano045

they'v mentioned i could do something like that, which be cool, but some cash would be nice, as i am a self employed videographer, and i plan on getting into photography on a more professional level, i just need to get and idea of prices,

thanks

Advertisement