Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1hr temp cover to shift my old car - €54

• 29-06-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I want to switch my insurance from my 1.9 T(red)Di Passat back to my old car (98 a6 2.8) for an hour to shift it to it's temporary home for a couple of months.

I still own it and I'm not in the habit of switcing insurance regularly. They want me to pay €54 for the hour. They say it's because it's a higher performance car. I've never heard the like...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

which company are you with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Q-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Why not just tow it there if it isn't too far? The extra diesel you might use will still be well under the €54 for the insurance swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you tow an uninsured car?

My buddy is coming to drive it for me. There are tons of ways around it but the fact remains. As a loyal and reliable customer, for a brief switch over, they would be so bold as to ask me for so much money because of the fact that overnight it has become a hypercar unbeknownst to me...

How can they sleep at night??

I asked if I needed a smaller car for an hour, would they refund me €54. I should have saved me breath to cool my porridge. €54 for an hour's cover in a car that I own is indefensible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Ask them how much it is for a week :D

Or just get a new quote with them, or anyone else, and then cancel it. You have a certain amount of time in which you're allowed to cancel them anyway. Bit of hassle though

eoin wrote: »
    Can you tow an uninsured car?
    As far as I'm aware (and don't quote this as gospel) an uninsured car would be covered by the tow-cars policy in much the same way as a caravan or other trailer. I could be wrong though so I'm wide open to correction on it.

If the OP has a towbar he could always borrow a transporter for a couple of hours to shift the Audi to its new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

cantdecide wrote: »
    As the title says, I want to switch my insurance from my 1.9 T(red)Di Passat back to my old car (98 a6 2.8) for an hour to shift it to it's temporary home for a couple of months.

I still own it and I'm not in the habit of switcing insurance regularly. They want me to pay €54 for the hour. They say it's because it's a higher performance car. I've never heard the like...

1 hour cover €54 ... thats just a money making exercise - what have you planned for the A6 anyways ? are you going to fix it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are you Fully Comp?

Can you not drive another car with third party fire and theft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Berty wrote: »
    Are you Fully Comp?

Can you not drive another car with third party fire and theft?

The other car needs to be insured usually with this clause

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Isn't €54 a standard charge?

As for the suggest of driving under TP Extension - if you own the car you're not covered. Does your mate have DOC / TP Extension?

Random wrote: »
    Isn't €54 a standard charge?
    Maybe it is for QD, or maybe it is when the other car is still registered to the policy holder?

I know when I did a transfer with Hibernian (did a few of them actually in the past year) it was something like €15 (administration fee) each time regardless of how long the transfer was for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

does your mate have insurance? then get him to drive the other car on his insurance or sell him the car for 1e and then you driver it on your insurance and then he sells it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My buddy is coming to drive it for me.

Whoah - did you check the small print in his insurance policy? Typically if you can drive other cars you are only covered if the car is insured already. So with DOC he could drive your Passat (with typically 3rd party only cover) but not your A6

I've never paid to temp switch insurance. From this and other posts, I get the impression it is a QD only thing...

unkel wrote: »
    Whoah - did you check the small print in his insurance policy? Typically if you can drive other cars you are only covered if the car is insured already. So with DOC he could drive your Passat (with typically 3rd party only cover) but not your A6

I've never paid to temp switch insurance. From this and other posts, I get the impression it is a QD only thing...
    I can drive any car (I can drive a 2.0 even if I have a 1.0) with my TP Extension with Quinn. Varies by policy I'd imagine. I've checked this numerous times with them and read over all the policy wording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I can drive any car (I can drive a 2.0 even if I have a 1.0) with my TP Extension with Quinn. Varies by policy I'd imagine. I've checked this numerous times with them and read over all the policy wording.

The problem for the OP is that the old car is still in his name, and there is a clause in the policy that the other car cannot be owned by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The other car needs to be insured usually with this clause

Why is this thrown around so often?

This is NOT the case with Quinn Directs policy.

Cionád wrote: »
    The problem for the OP is that the old car is still in his name, and there is a clause in the policy that the other car cannot be owned by you.
    Yah, aware of that. I was just responding to the post I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Top Dog wrote: »
    I know when I did a transfer with Hibernian (did a few of them actually in the past year) it was something like €15 (administration fee) each time regardless of how long the transfer was for.
    Hibernian do try that, but if you make a bit of noise they won't enforce it. Temp transfers are also free if you do them online.

Even if the other car is not already insured? I take it you checked that out numerous times too, so that's fair enough :)

Point I'm making really is that you need to be 100% sure you are covered (at least 3rd party). If you're not 100% sure, the saving of €54 is not worth it to
    be potentially uninsured imho.

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    Why is this thrown around so often?

This is NOT the case with Quinn Directs policy.

I think its required in the UK. I think I saw it on 'Police,Stop' or something like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

dont get me started on quinn direct, had a commercial policy with them on a can last week i was buying a new car so i rang them . cant change over a van to car on commerical insurence they have to set up a new policy ....... ok that seems fair enough so cancel the policy and set up a new one no problem . gave all the details for the new policy blah blah blah . asked me where i live and where the car will be kept

" sorry sir but we are no longer insuring cars from that area "
    me " erm what clondalkin?"
    " yes sir im very sorry "
    me " erm whats the difference between clondalkin , finglas ballymun , cabera "
    " its just our policy sir "

so feeling slighestly discimated againsts i said well i have to go else where and get the car insured , i have the van sold i have to cancel the policy
    which os paid for monthly .......

" there is no refund on monthly payment policys "
    me " yea thats ok , can you send me on my no claims discount letter "

"yes we will but theres a cancelation fee " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me " what about the fact i had to pay two months in advance for the policy theres a month left to run sure "

"that dosnt matter theres still a fee "

WENT TO AXA GOT THE INSURANCE ON THE CAR FOR ME AND THE GIRLFRIEND FOR LESS THAN WHAT QUINN DIRECT HAD QUOTED ME ONLINE FOR JUST MYSELF THE WEEK BEFORE ON SAME CAR .

MY POLICY COVERS ME TO DRIVE OTHER CARS THIRD PARTY WITH NO EXTRA COST

HAVE FULL WINDSCREEN AND BREAKDOWN COVERAGE

quinn direct are fools ,,,,, tallaght and clondalkin is a lot of business to give up

Even if the other car is not already insured? I take it you checked that out numerous times too, so that's fair enough :)

...we will also cover you the policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car which you do not own or have not hired... as long as:

4. cover is not provided by any other insurance.

One of the few reasons why I do like Q-D!

Point I'm making really is that you need to be 100% sure you are covered (at least 3rd party). If you're not 100% sure, the saving of €54 is not worth it to
    There's a lot of misinformation thrown around all the time and mainly down to differing policy conditions from person to person and company to company.

The only way his friend can confirm he's insured is to check when putting it on temp cover or to read his policy T+C. I could go posting my T+C here but there's feck all point.

I confirmed this with quinn when I was with them and was borrowing a friends car which he wasnt using. They said the car did not need to be insured. I would still advise people to ring for themselves though to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

darcy.jonny, there's no need to go off on a unrelated off topic rant about quinn. So let's keep things on topic lads.

Don't take complete randomers advice on boards, please ring yourselves to clarify if you're unsure.

There's a lot of misinformation thrown around all the time and mainly down to differing policy conditions from person to person and company to company.

The only way his friend can confirm he's insured is to check when putting it on temp cover or to read his policy T+C.

My point exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

ok sorry about that ,

i had a quinn direct policy and my friend and i was not covered to drive other cars

my sister did and my mother did and where covered to drive other cars

u can add a part to your policy that allows anyone over 25 with a full liscene to drive the car thats insured

quinns policys chance like the wind so your best finding out directly from them and getting you entitlements in writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As far as I'm aware (and don't quote this as gospel) an uninsured car would be covered by the tow-cars policy in much the same way as a caravan or other trailer. I could be wrong though so I'm wide open to correction on it.

If the OP has a towbar he could always borrow a transporter for a couple of hours to shift the Audi to its new home.

The problem with this is that the OP would need an E on their licence to tow the car. They would also need to tell their insurance they will be towing a loaded car transporter as most policies only cover small domestic trailers by default and you need to inform them if towing a caravan or anything heavy.

Then you have the issue that a Passet may not be rated to tow nearly 2 tonnes.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The problem with this is that the OP would need an E on their licence to tow the car. They would also need to tell their insurance they will be towing a loaded car transporter as most policies only cover small domestic trailers by default and you need to inform them if towing a caravan or anything heavy.
    Doesn't a full B class licence count as an eternal EB licence? :confused:

As for the part about informing the insurance company that you'll be towing - never knew that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I had to pay the 54 euro just before x-mas too :( Damn QD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I have not read all of this thread, but i have commented on the subject of "the other car needing to be insured" before on a similiar thread.

Can anyone on here quote a case of the insured having the facility to drive other peoples cars, where the policy stated that the other car needed to be already insured(obviously by someone else).
    I THINK it is a piece of urban myth.

In 30 years of driving ,and presenting insurance to Gardai and RUC, the subject has never been raised.

In my specific case where I asked Allianz to transfer my insurance to a car I was being loaned while on holiday ,they told me there was no need, i was insured on my policy, but only for 3 rd party cover.

regards,Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

That sounds crazy, I know my boyfriend has done this a few times - he's insured with Hibernian through a local insurance broker - and all he has to do is ring up the broker, give him the details, and the broker arranges cover for no charge! He's done this a few times, often on much higher-powered cars, for up to a day at a time without being charged anything extra.

I'd think some sort of administration charge would be acceptable - maybe a tenner - but €54 is just ridiculous. You should shop around next time before you renew - and if you change, make sure Quinn know exactly why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rugbyman wrote: »
    I have not read all of this thread, but i have commented on the subject of "the other car needing to be insured" before on a similiar thread.

Can anyone on here quote a case of the insured having the facility to drive other peoples cars, where the policy stated that the other car needed to be already insured(obviously by someone else).

In 30 years of driving ,and presenting insurance to Gardai and RUC, the subject has never been raised.

In my specific case where I asked Allianz to transfer my insurance to a car I was being loaned while on holiday ,they told me there was no need, i was insured on my policy, but only for 3 rd party cover.

regards,Rugbyman

what does "the other car needs to be insured" mean anyway - if its the car itself thats insured then thats just against fire, theft, damage etc. If its your driving liability thats covered (which is what the law requires) then its your own insurance company thats covering that.

Essentially, if your policy is covering your liability to 3rd parties while driving someone else's car, why would your insurance company care whether the car itself is covered. The only legal issue might be the lack of a valid insurance disc for the car in question.

Obviously this is not legal advice, and insurance companies have been known to include pointless clauses in the policies, but thats always been my take on it.

After a lot of digging I've found out that in the UK the 'other car' must also be insured. This was only introduced in the Road Traffic Act 2006.
    22 Offence of keeping vehicle which does not meet insurance requirements
    (1) In the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52), after section 144 insert—
    “144A Offence of keeping vehicle which does not meet insurance
    requirements
    (1) If a motor vehicle registered under the Vehicle Excise and Registration
    Act 1994 does not meet the insurance requirements, the person in
    whose name the vehicle is registered is guilty of an offence.
    (2) For the purposes of this section a vehicle meets the insurance
    requirements if—
    (a) it is covered by a such a policy of insurance or such a security in
    respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of
    this Part of this Act, and
    (b) either of the following conditions is satisfied.
    (3) The first condition is that the policy or security, or the certificate of
    insurance or security which relates to it, identifies the vehicle by its
    registration mark as a vehicle which is covered by the policy or
    security.
    (4) The second condition is that the vehicle is covered by the policy or
    security because—
    (a) the policy or security covers any vehicle, or any vehicle of a
    particular description, the owner of which is a person named in
    the policy or security or in the certificate of insurance or security
    which relates to it, and
    (b) the vehicle is owned by that person.
    (5) For the purposes of this section a vehicle is covered by a policy of
    insurance or security if the policy of insurance or security is in force in
    relation to the use of the vehicle.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/pdf/ukpga_20060049_en.pdf

More info/discussion here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=821945

As this is the case in the UK, i think this is why there is a common misconception that it is also the case in Ireland. I've contacted my insurance company to make sure it is legal in Ireland to drive the uninsured car, and was told it is not an offence.

Also, in the UK's legislation it is the registered owner who is open to prosecution, not the driver as the driver has the 3rd party cover, and it is the car owner who allowed the driver to drive it who is the one that committed the offence. :)

• Advertisement

There were such stipulations a few years ago. I remember when I started driving that every year, the 3rd party extension rules would change.

I believe the it must already be insured by someone else rule is just so that you don't pick up a €100 scrapper and expect to be able drive away. If it isn't on-the-road, you will have to ring up and specify it on your policy for the necessary time.

In reality, the rules do change frequently and you must pretty much check every time. eg you will also find that if you want to borrow a mates Golf type van, you won't be insured even if it's privately owned. The rule is check, check and check again.

In my case, my buddy checked his policy and he was insured to drive it. He read me the wording and I was happy. He bought it the 3 miles out the road for me. When I was wrangling with them, THEY told me to use my third party extension and I had to correct them. They are just as unprofessional and apathetic (and arrogant) as ever and the whole organization is going back to being the cash cow it was in the early noughties...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Typically if you can drive other cars you are only covered if the car is insured already.

The cert of insurance for Hibernian dones't say this funnily enough. Not sure about quinn, but the policiies tend to be the same with most insurers. If asked, Hibernian will say the other car should be insured, this requirement is not reflected in the T&Cs.

To cut a long story short I have driven cars that I don't own and that are not sepoerately insured. I'd be happy to run with the matter in court though, most people wouldn't.

The reason quinn are charging more for an hour is because they don't do temporary transfers, you are paying for an actual transfer of insurance. At least this was the case at the start of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

As a loyal and reliable customer....

I was with them for 5 years sure, got a cheaper quote (by E60) last Nov and rang them to tell them. The chap I was dealing with just said "OK Mr. X I'll cancel your policy for you now" and hung up!!
    Didn't ask me who the new quote was with or by how much or anything - I couldn't believe it!!!!
    They couldn't give a rats basically...

maidhc wrote: »
    The reason quinn are charging more for an hour is because they don't do temporary transfers, you are paying for an actual transfer of insurance. At least this was the case at the start of the year!

They told me in no uncertain terms that it was because it's a higher performance car. They told me very clearly that if it had been a similar performance car to my Passat, there would have been no charge at all...

They told me in no uncertain terms that it was because it's a higher performance car. They told me very clearly that if it had been a similar performance car to my Passat, there would have been no charge at all...

It probably is a higher performance car and a bigger risk. I was with quinn last year and wanted to do the same thing as you. They did it FOC, but said there would have been a charge but for the fact I had only 3 days left to run on my quinn policy.

They didn't "do" temporary transfers back then!

• Advertisement

It probably is a higher performance car and a bigger risk

It works out at 10% of my annual policy agin to cover it for one hour. I'd want a couple of jet engines under my arse to justify that kind of additional risk. €54/hour = €473,000 annual premium. A very cynical company indeed to expect customers to put up with that kind of crock...

It works out at 10% of my annual policy agin to cover it for one hour. I'd want a couple of jet engines under my arse to justify that kind of additional risk. €54/hour = €473,000 annual premium. A very cynical company indeed to expect customers to put up with that kind of crock...

I know, but the point i'm making is that is the extra premium that Quinn charge for the remainder of your policy.

It is crap, but dem are their terms of business.

BUT

I assume the invoice you for it, so perhaps you could change back before paying the invoice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doesn't a full B class licence count as an eternal EB licence? :confused:

No the E is a seperate test, was given as default along with D1/C1 and some others but that was many years ago not too sure when it ended. Most people got their E when it was given out free or by doing an artic test. I don't think many schools do EB lessons and not too sure if many test centres do EB tests.
    As for the part about informing the insurance company that you'll be towing - never knew that :o

Informing the insurance company comes under modifying the vehicle and it's a legal requirement for all trailers now to have TP insurance. If it's only a small domestic trailer it's added free to your car policy. AFAIK for larger trailers like horse boxes or car transporters they need a seperate policy

rugbyman wrote: »

regards,Rugbyman

I know I had policies that stated the other car must be insured, will have to check my current one to see what it states.

As for presenting insurance to the Gardai/RUC they only look for a valid insurance policy. It's if the worst happens and you need to claim that's when the trouble could start.

As other people are saying the only way to know for sure is to read your policy and if it's not crystal clear then call your insurance company and ask.

extra premium....for the remainder of your policy................... perhaps you could change back.....

It was for a 1hr switch over to my old car just to shift it to its new home. Iasked for temp cover "from now, for about an hour please- I have to shift it 3 miles out the road".

"€54 please- It's a higher risk car".
    "you've misunderstood- I need cover switched only for an hour"
    "I haven't misunderstood- for 1 hrs temporary cover in a higher performance car will cost you €54. You should jsut get a buddy tp move it for you"

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Mmmm €54. Thats exactly what QD charged me for a cancelation fee.:cool::confused:

Advertisement