Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico vs Eircom vs Pure Telecom

Options
  • 29-06-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

So apparently broadband has become available in my pocket of the rural woods (Leitrim) and I now have the ability to switch from my desperate GroupNet WAN connection to something more substantial. Looks like my options are Eircom, Perlico and Pure Telecom. They all have fairly similar prices, Perlico leading the pack (for their package line rental + broadband + a few free calls).

At the moment I use 13434 pre-dial a lot for international and mobile calls. Would this still be available to me if I switched to Perlico does anyone know?

And just generally what would you recommend I go for? I would be tempted to go with Eircom just because I'll be moving out again soon and it's a connection mainly for my old folks I don't want them to have to deal with any stupid T&Cs.

Thanks for any advice!

Stern

edit: Are eircom strict about their download limit? I used to have magnet in dublin (30 GB download limit) but I was downloading well over 200 GB a month and I never heard a complaint).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If You can get dsl You also have the option of BT, Vodafone, Smart and Digiweb as they all resell Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

I've done a linecheck with smart and they said my line is not serviced. So I'm not sure about that. Also... I'm not so familiar with terms. What is dsl (as opposed to broadband)?

Thanks,

Stern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If You can get dsl You also have the option of BT, Vodafone, Smart and Digiweb as they all resell Eircom

As well as Magnet, UTV and a few others.
    Stern wrote: »
    I've done a linecheck with smart and they said my line is not serviced. So I'm not sure about that.
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/nationwide.aspx
    It's their re-sold eircom offering, not the LLU one, that you need.
    Also... I'm not so familiar with terms. What is dsl (as opposed to broadband)?

DSL is broadband delivered over phone line, you can get broadband in many forms (DSL, cable, wireless).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If the exchange was enabled recently, you might have sales reps going around your area. You could order off one of them. It seems to happen often enough.

Get your line tested on the www.broadbandatoz.ie to double-check that result? They sometimes vary from site to site, and the above one is the gold standard.

Also, your line mightn't be tested and added to the system yet if the exchange is just upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eire_prince

knows thing are changing in smart, they are now going from unlimited download to 170GB cap limit.

the reason why smart not detecting you is they get update every month from eircom re lines and numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

.... At the moment I use 13434 pre-dial a lot for international and mobile calls. Would this still be available to me if I switched to Perlico does anyone know? ....

No the CPS (Carrier Pre-Select) Override Codes are not available if you switch your line rental and calls to any telecom operator other than Eircom. But the 13434 company do offer two alternative landline numbers non-Eircom customers can use.

They are 01 6850850 or 021 2422422, dialing either of these will get you through to the 13434 exchange so you can dial your international number as normal, call rates are different though, details: http://13434.ie/mobilerates.php

You have to pay the cost of calling the alternative non-Eircom 13434 numbers, although if you have an inclusive call plan for local/national numbers they'll be included.

Since you're getting broadband ditching 13434 and using VoIP might work out cheaper.

Thank you very much for all the informative responses! I still need to get my folks input on it as they'll be the ones using it after I'm gone but we should be able to make a decision from here.

Cheers,

Stern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The telesavers 1890 numbers (www.telesavers.ie) also allow a convenient way of making cheap intl calls whatever your telephone provider. The Vodafone DSL service allows you nominate some Voda numbers to call, which might be useful if these are the mobiles you ring.

Actually I did have one more quick unanswered question. What providers are/are not strict about their download limit? 10GB from eircom seems extremely limited to me ( a little over 14 MB an hour? ). As I mentioned in my first post I know that Magnet didn't (don't?) give a damn about the download limit so if somebody can tell me if it's true for any other provider I can get here I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Stern

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Whoever isn't strict today is likely strict tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I can assure you that Eircom aren't strict on their download limit. They wont charge you should you go over it, all that happens is you might receive a letter politely asking not to do it again. After that all that happens is they'll recommend you move up to a different bandwidth. I'd also recommend Eircom based on the fact that their tech support is open 7 days a week at a freephone number, unequalled by the other two companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You have to pay for eircom broadband support. It's not much but it's not free. 1890 260 260.

Perlico has free broadband support on 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

1901 is a freephone service number available 7 days a week I thought. There's also free online technical support available

Advertisement