Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone any experience of a company called majestic marketing

Options
  • 29-06-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hi, i've a job interview for majestic marketing<snip>. i'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience of them. i found one forum here on boards through google but i couldn't access cause it was a private forum but the one line i could see looked quite negative.
    would really appreciate any information anyone has on them, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

fergm wrote: »
    hi, i've a job interview for majestic marketing ( i think they trade under onyx as well). i'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience of them. i found one forum here on boards through google but i couldn't access cause it was a private forum but the one line i could see looked quite negative.
    would really appreciate any information anyone has on them, thanks
    I'm guessing it's a "cobra" marketing operation.
    google under cobra marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

cheers for all the help. mite not go to that interview afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Coincidentally, I was today approached by a few girls from Majestic Marketing on Baggot Street! They were selling some Deep Sea moisturiser and put some on my hand and then launched into tales of their other products. I genuinely was running late for an appointment so made my excuses and vanished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 aaya

i did the same as you and came across the same post, i have an interview tomorrow. did you go in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wits

I have an interview tomorrow with them too, were you giving any details on what the position actually is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 aaya

nope, she kinda chased me off the phone, looks like i might not be able to make the interview anyways but no harm by the sounds of things..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭fergm

didn't go in the end. rang them up again and they said they are a door to door marketing company. the two main products they sell are some type of makeup and Airtricity. i believe that they pay by commission only so earning might be very low as they'l probably just go on about potential earnings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

fergm wrote: »
    didn't go in the end. rang them up again and they said they are a door to door marketing company. the two main products they sell are some type of makeup and Airtricity. i believe that they pay by commission only so earning might be very low as they'l probably just go on about potential earnings

Worse things to sell in the world than Airtricity i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wratch

Airtricity could actually be a good call and easy enough to sell if you did B2C before....I might give them a ring :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fiachra Ryan

I think it should be made known what type of company Majestic Marketing is. Their job adverts contain the words "marketing" "promotions" and "management", this is all basically hyperbole used to veil the fact that they are offering door to door sales "jobs".

There is no base salary, they offer commission only depending on what you're selling it usually works out about 7-8 euro per item, a really good day might see sales in the region of 5 items but by and large sales are very thin.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread it is a Cobra Group operation. Their strategy is based around sending as many people out to as many houses as possible, as they are not paying their employees it results in zero cost for them. "Employees" are expected to get a bus to a housing estate usually on the outskirts of the city and embark on rounds of a housing estate, they perform three rounds in the day, the idea being that if the home owner is not present at 10am they might be present at 3am or 6am.

Their poorly designed website http://www.majesticmktg.com/ should be enough of an indicator as to what kind of company this is.Other companies operating under similar circumstances in Ireland are Onyx Marketing and Roar Promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RTÉ Prime Time: David

Has anyone worked for any of these companies for any length of time? Anyone with experiences they would like to share?

PM me please in confidence.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

These jobs are all commission only but can be relatively lucrative for the right person. In my experience (I worked for a similar company for about 9 months when I was 19/20) there was money to be made if you were a decent salesperson and had a bit of personality about you. There were elements of what I've seen some people call brainwashing in terms of rituals and "group" work, and sometimes you had an impossible product or day and were left empty handed.

On the plus side it developed my confidence in dealing with and interacting with people and I made a very good wage during my time there. If you're not outgoing or confident though I could easily see an experience like this leaving you very shaken and insecure.

Personally I really enjoyed my experience there and while I wouldn't like to have to do it now, for my age and knowledge at the time I feel I learned a lot and developed some skills that I still use to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peterkear

Iago wrote: »
    These jobs are all commission only but can be relatively lucrative for the right person. In my experience (I worked for a similar company for about 9 months when I was 19/20) there was money to be made if you were a decent salesperson and had a bit of personality about you. There were elements of what I've seen some people call brainwashing in terms of rituals and "group" work, and sometimes you had an impossible product or day and were left empty handed.

On the plus side it developed my confidence in dealing with and interacting with people and I made a very good wage during my time there. If you're not outgoing or confident though I could easily see an experience like this leaving you very shaken and insecure.

Personally I really enjoyed my experience there and while I wouldn't like to have to do it now, for my age and knowledge at the time I feel I learned a lot and developed some skills that I still use to this day.

I agree that these jobs can be great for the right person, I think the problem people have with them is the misleading way in which they go about recruiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Iago wrote: »

I used to do door to door sales in the charity and business to business division in Cobra about 5 years ago, I worked for a combined total of 8 months and then left, I made quite a bit of money and dveloped better self confidence. The hours were extremely long, the company I worked with business2business were based in Capel Street and I worked from 7am till 8pm Monday till Friday and from 9am till 5.30pm on Saturday so It wasn't for the faint hearted, It was bull**it and I lost a few friends while working for these companies, I'm not in good career and I'm working about 40 hours a week on more money with better career prospects.

BTW: i DIDN'T WORK FOR mAJESTIC mARKETING.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

peterkear wrote: »
    I agree that these jobs can be great for the right person, I think the problem people have with them is the misleading way in which they go about recruiting for them.

If they just came out and said in their listings :
    'If you want to go to peoples houses, where they can't run away from you, and try and sell them things they don't want, for prices they can't afford, and only pay you if you manage to sell things, then we have the job for you.'

i think the world would be a nicer place.

Thankfully I live out in the sticks and the only door to door person we see is working for An Post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anyoung

Went for interview today with Onyx marketing...they said some of their accounts include airtricity and vodafone. Is anyone working on these accounts and if so what are you doing and how do they pay

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

anyoung wrote: »
    Went for interview today with Onyx marketing...they said some of their accounts include airtricity and vodafone. Is anyone working on these accounts and if so what are you doing and how do they pay

Stay well clear of these lunatics...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

i went for interview with onyx before, they are pretty mad alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Have an interview with Majestic tomorrow, was told over the phone should I get the job I'd more than likely be involved in door-to-door sales and the pay as "Commission Only". Regardless of whether or not it's legit it doesn't sound worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

Has anyone worked for any of these companies for any length of time? Anyone with experiences they would like to share?

PM me please in confidence.

David

Hello David,
    I know this is an old thread but i thought i would share my experience.

I applied for a position i seen on www.jobs.ie. http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1098258

it seemed good and i applied. I recieved a phone for a foreign lady on the friday, she sounded polish and said her name was Lucia. she arranged an interview with a girl called Christina on monday. she texted me later again that day to confirm all that was said on the phone earlier address times etc.
    On monday i got to killarney and started looking for the address i was given. I could not find it (number 91 New Street) I went to a clothing shop in new street and asked the lady behind the counter if she knew where 91 was. She didn't know where it was but she tolkd me that she had a lot of people coming in over the last 2 weeks asking her about it, all of which had interviews.
    I finally found the office which was only marked by a printed sign on paper on the door saying Blue Steel Acquisitions. this was the first time i seen the company name.
    i quickly checked their website http://www.bluesteelacquisitions.com/ before the interview, but it seemed to be very vague. they mentioned that they had a major energy supplier on their books.
    The office was very strange. The reception area was very bare, only 2 chairs and an empty desk with no one behind it. I waited here for about 15 minutes before a lady came out out from an office. She handed me a sheet which asked my name address previous experiences etc.
    it was only one page long. i filled it out and went in for the interview. the interviewer withered on about how they will be able to train me up to management in less than 8 months and they everybody in the company would be equal with no one to answer to.
    the office she was in was also very bare. Just a computer with desk and chair. you could fit everything in the whole office and recpetion in the boot of a car.
    It was only later wheni got home and googled the company that i found out what they do.
    I have a second round of interviews tomorrow (field sales experience ) which i will not go to.
    This is my experience of the company, i found it to be very strange, espically the fact theyt could have the whole office cleared out in ten seconds flat.
    I hope this helps with your investagation.

Advertisement