Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

60e tickets for the real vs rovers game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

ebay has a pair at €299 and a single at €130.
    people paying these prices will need their heads examined, although the latter ad states that it is an "excellent" ticket. the seller lives in Dorset, Ireland which has me confused geographically.
    Neither ticket has been Benzema-d yet though, should be good for a 10% hike !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I'm not.

First comes temptation.
    Then comes the question: "can I go to the Real game?"
    Then comes the answer: "no, I/we can't afford it"
    Then comes the tears.

Seriously, are we reduced to Maude Flanders?

Parents need to stand up to spoilt kids nowadays [and I don't mean messers Ronaldo].

No, you cant go and see Madrid play

No, you cant watch Ronaldo

Yes, you can watch sporting fingal next weekend.

thats my style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

legs11 wrote: »
    Parents need to stand up to spoilt kids nowadays [and I don't mean messers Ronaldo].

No, you cant go and see Madrid play

No, you cant watch Ronaldo

Yes, you can watch sporting fingal next weekend.

thats my style.

Bow to this one. The match being covered by sky sports so if you got sky course he can:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Bow to this one. The match being covered by sky sports so if you got sky course he can:D

No Sky either I should add.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They can watch it on teletext like we did in the 80s (that's if you were lucky enough to have it on your TV)

Or read about it in the papers the following morning, how much does the Star cost these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ah those were the days!

i remember watching teletext back in the day

Helix wrote: »
    ah those were the days!

i remember watching teletext back in the day

What ya mean back in the day i got stuck down the country with no other way not too long ago so i went retro:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What do you mean "80's"! Teletext is vital, even still. Especially to get the scorers for fantasy football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Helix wrote: »
    its the people paying it that im concerned about

Just to let you know I very much appreciate your concern. I'd like to advise you that I'm fine though and no need to worry about me.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What do you mean "80's"! Teletext is vital, even still. Especially to get the scorers for fantasy football.

www.Flashscores.com or www.xscores.com

welcome to the 21st century ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm not going and I never intended to but I still have an opinion on it. And that opinion is not a positive one.

This 60 Euro for a preleague match of a bollix team against Real Madrid is just another symptom of something I witnessed in Ireland moreso than in other places and it's called profiteering - I'd even call it gombeenism tbh.

It's the attitude of I don't give a **** how my product actually comes about, how much my product actually costs to produce, I dont' give a **** what anyone thinks, I don't give a **** about decency in making healthy but not taking the piss profits, I do charge whatever I like because I can and I think I will find enough idiots who will pay this.

I've been around a bit and only in Ireland's society I found whining about 'the most vulnerable' and also brazen cut-throat capitalism in the same room. It's amazing. It's whatever suits it seems.

Now I know I probably went a bit over the top with my rant and I generalize a lot here, but IMHO there is no denying that it is character trade of a society that I noticed here.

Sorry, probably should go to 'After Hours' or 'Politics' or whatever, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

what about the kids who nagging there parents to go see Real. That puts alot of pressure on any parent

I nagged my parents to send me to astronaut school and buy me a new pair of Adidas Gazelles every two weeks. They told me to fuck off.

Also: I can discuss the merits of a friendly involving other teams without consistently insulting the team or their ground.

Or does this rule only apply to teams from 'real leagues'?

stovelid wrote: »
    Also: I can discuss the merits of a friendly involving other teams without consistently insulting the team or their ground.

I guess this could be applied to my post and I would like to say that it wasn't meant to be an insult. But of course in the grand scheme of things (European football) the LOI team in question is a soccer team from a 4 Mill country where football is at best the 3rd most popular sport to begin with and in European terms is probably a third or fourth division amateur squad. That doesn't mean that it isn't respectable soccer. I'm supporting a 4th division amateur team myself as it happens

In any case - apologies... the core of my post is not about degrading Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

realcam wrote: »
    I guess this could be applied to my post and I would like to say that it wasn't meant to be an insult. But of course in the grand scheme of things (European football) the LOI team in question is a soccer team from a 4 Mill country where football is at best the 3rd most popular sport to begin with and in European terms is probably a third or fourth division amateur squad. That doesn't mean that it isn't respectable soccer. I'm supporting a 4th division amateur team myself as it happens

In any case - apologies... the core of my post is not about degrading Rovers.

Football is the most popular sport in Ireland.

It is the most participated in sport.
    It is the most watched, especially if you include watching foreign leagues on TV.
    And as far as I can see is the most talked about sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Football is the most popular sport in Ireland.

It is the most participated in sport.
    It is the most watched, especially if you include watching foreign leagues on TV.
    And as far as I can see is the most talked about sport.

i think poster meant specifically Irish LOI football

Not much bigger than jumpers and goalposts here hence everyone fantasises over the favourite Premier team but most never go.

Discount these figures and what you got left? about 5000 a week going to watch LOI football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Discount these figures and what you got left? about 5000 a week going to watch LOI football?

It's quite a bit more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Not much bigger than jumpers and goalposts here hence everyone fantasises over the favourite Premier team but most never go.

Yes it is quite a bit more than 5000 a week. And no I don't think the poster was speaking about LOI specifically, the poster was talking about the popularity of football in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

www.Flashscores.com or www.xscores.com

welcome to the 21st century ;)

Yes, which involves turning on a computer, connecting to the net, starting up firefox and going to a site which takes 10 minutes. teletext takes about 5 seconds!

• Advertisement

Yes it is quite a bit more than 5000 a week. And no I don't think the poster was speaking about LOI specifically, the poster was talking about the popularity of football in Ireland.

No I meant Irish football. As in how many kids actually start playing at a young age, continue playing at senior level, club structures and league depth and all that. Def'ny behind Gaelic games. I wasn't talking about who's watching Liverpool every Sunday. I meant the actual football that's going on in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No I meant Irish football. As in how many kids actually start playing at a young age, continue playing at senior level, club structures and league depth and all that. Def'ny behind Gaelic games. I wasn't talking about who's watching Liverpool every Sunday. I meant the actual football that's going on in Ireland.

Football (soccer) is the most played sport in Ireland. More people play it than GAA sports combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

This game is going to be live on Sky Sports too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Paparazzo wrote: »

Can't get proper teletext on sky digital except for Aertel which is crap :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Must be some very poor crowds at other games every week when rovers are at home every game is a 3500 sell out .im a season ticket holder at rovers so is my son. He is 19 years of age and has been coming wit me to rovers games home and away since he was 8. he for one hates english football and the fact that 90per cent of football fans in this country support english teams.When you have football at the weekends during the summer on your doorstep.Im sure if you ever got the chance to come to tallaght and stand amonst the greatest supporters in IRELAND you would change your few on loi football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Elonex wrote: »

Thats shocking. I didnt think Sky Sports even knew their were football teams in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Thats shocking. I didnt think Sky Sports even knew their were football teams in Ireland.

They always give loi results

OPENROAD wrote: »
    They always give loi results

Thats usually on the ticker on Sky Sports News and they don't seem to read them out.

I don't think Sky have ever shown a match involving a LOI side.

Thats usually on the ticker on Sky Sports News and they don't seem to read them out.

No have heard them reading them out but can't recall them showing a LOI match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Elonex wrote: »

Really? Their website says their next game is a friendly against Al Ittihad on July 26th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

dsmythy wrote: »
    Really? Their website says their next game is a friendly against Al Ittihad on July 26th.

On Sky Sports News earlier today they were reporting the Benzema deal, then they said how the game will be live on Sky Sports on July 20th. Maybe the top stars will be playing so? Platinum One are going to make a mint on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

€60 is genius tbf, I mean it's sold out FFS, are P1 taking a cut of the sales?

P1 control IT, rovers get a match fee (circa 15k) and any merchandise they sell from their stalls. Everything else inc Sky showing it is P1s monies. P1 sold my job a corporate seating thing for 2 people for €XXXX

In fairness SDCC and Rovers they getting ripped off here but if they get 5 more fans to the "sellout" stadium the next week its worth it. Fair play to rovers for being caught up/involved in this.

hope your players lay down and die on saturday night :D

dreamers75 wrote: »

In fairness SDCC and Rovers they getting ripped off here but if they get 5 more fans to the "sellout" stadium the next week its worth it. Fair play to rovers for being caught up/involved in this.

Rip-off shmip-off. It's all good. Rovers sold hundreds of half-season tickets since the game was announced. The publicity is gold. We're going to have a laugh on the night. The SDCC are firing up the second stand and finally tending the pitch. It's even on the TV for the peeps and non-Rovers fans who didn't get tickets.

As for "sellouts", the few that weren't were pretty damn close.

I still can't decide whether it's instructive or just plain deluded that you're being sarcastic about an average home attendance that's about twice your own. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I still can't decide whether it's instructive or just plain deluded that you're being sarcastic about an average home attendance that's about twice your own. :confused:

Stovelid, I find it even funnier that other LOI fan's for some reason don't understand the difference between a sell out and a full house. Simple maths to you and me but quantum mechanics to them apparently.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    P1 control IT, rovers get a match fee (circa 15k) and any merchandise they sell from their stalls. Everything else inc Sky showing it is P1s monies. P1 sold my job a corporate seating thing for 2 people for €XXXX

hope your players lay down and die on saturday night :D

There is no way on earth i can see rovers only getting 15k for this game they would make that and more on a normal loi game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Also note, SRFC have gotten a tidy sum from a number of additional sponsorship agreements for the remainder of the season & indeed carrying forward into next season since this game was announced, the match fee itself may not be as large as some would suggest or indeed expect but the combined media coverage & sponsorship has made the whole project more than worthwhile. The cash lost on the washed out Sunderland game last season will be more than recouped & will leave the club well placed financially for at least the remainder of this season which is a position most of the other clubs on this island would love to be in.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Also note, SRFC have gotten a tidy sum from a number of additional sponsorship agreements for the remainder of the season & indeed carrying forward into next season since this game was announced, the match fee itself may not be as large as some would suggest or indeed expect but the combined media coverage & sponsorship has made the whole project more than worthwhile. The cash lost on the washed out Sunderland game last season will be more than recouped & will leave the club well placed financially for at least the remainder of this season which is a position most of the other clubs on this island would love to be in.

Rovers would be more than secure even without this game and the comments on here are all from people jealous of rovers. im sure bohs cork and derry would love to be playing real madrid in there current turmoils.

paulcorr wrote: »
    Rovers would be more than secure even without this game and the comments on here are all from people jealous of rovers. im sure bohs cork and derry would love to be playing real madrid in there current turmoils.

I reckon any proper LOI fans on here would be happy to see shams playing Real Madrid. Its nice to see a bit of good news in the league for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Match is live on Sky

I reckon any proper LOI fans on here would be happy to see shams playing Real Madrid. Its nice to see a bit of good news in the league for once.

I think none of us begrudge the sham at all, Its the prices that are riduculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They showed Derry City V Newcastle around 98 match in Dublin in the Carlsberg cup

They were expecting Celtic but the mighty Derry beat that Celtic team 3-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

legs11 wrote: »
    I think none of us begrudge the sham at all, Its the prices that are riduculous.
    If I was in charge of commercial operations at Rovers (or P1 – whoever’s setting the prices), I’d be charging as much as I could too. It’s a major opportunity for them to make some serious cash and they know people will be stupid enough to cough up (while complaining about the price :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

paulcorr wrote: »
    the price of the tickets have been set by platnium one shamrock rovers have no control over prices or sales of the tickets for this match im a shamrock rovers season ticket holder who like all other football supporters had to pay 60 euro for a ticket i paid 200 euro for my season ticket which intitles me to watch 18 home league games at tallaght which works out a little over 11 euro a game 60 euro is steep but as a rovers suppoter its a once in a lifetime match at home in our new stadium against real madrid better than playing bray wanderers any day if people find the price to dear dont go nobody will miss you when the league of ire restarts this weekend and the real football fans come out to watch there teams
    I have a season ticket but I am not paying 60 quid to watch the match... So am I not a real football fan now :rolleyes:

You can get into Liverpool VS United in a Premier League match for that but I am meant to pay it to watch Rovers play against a reserve Madrid team in a friendly? That's not called being a "proper football fan" its called being a bit thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Reganio 2 wrote: »

You can get into Liverpool VS United in a Premier League match for that but I am meant to pay it to watch Rovers play against a reserve Madrid team in a friendly? That's not called being a "proper football fan" its called being a bit thick

Doubt it will be there reserve team.:P

I have a season ticket but I am not paying 60 quid to watch the match... So am I not a real football fan now :rolleyes:

Not at all.

I can see the argument for price too, especially for the hoops with kids.

At the end of the day though, for me, it has the potential to be a great night. If they don't play the Princess or the God-Botherer, what of it? It would be good to even some of the other less stellar names.

I'd pay it even just to see the ground full on four sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Rip-off shmip-off. It's all good.
    Glad it's going well for ye. How much are the GAA getting out of it;)

The fact that it is on Sky is a major bonus as Ronaldo etc, might get a longer run. The only down side would be the stars play for 5 minutes the rest of the team can't be arsed cue Joe Duffy show the next day : 'Jaysus I paid €60 to watch Ronaldo and he was only on the pitch for 5 minutes, Shamrock Rovers what a rip off'
    Even though everyone here knows the event is run by PI the general public or target market will think this a Rovers event, so will want some form of value for money, if thats possible at €60 a pop.
    Also if Rovers are only getting €15k its fairly derisory as it would equate to roughly 2.5% and that's not including Sky money etc, pretty poor business.

So you have a go for not been called a proper football fan.But you can call the thousands of people who bought tickets THICKS. pot and kettle comes to mind.And nobody will have ago at you for not spending 60 euro all i said was i would spend it and so would many thousand more. Plus how much would it cost you to get to a liverpool v utd match.

Unfortunately it seems nothing good can ever happen in this country without some arsehole trying to make a killing out of it. If at least Rovers would get the money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

patmac wrote: »
    Also if Rovers are only getting €15k its fairly derisory as it would equate to roughly 2.5% and that's not including Sky money etc, pretty poor business.

Agree that it could be seen as being a Rovers rip off not a P1 one.

However you cant put a value on the publicity theyve gotten out of it, extra season ticket sales and sponsorship on top of that. Also the likes of Celtic (not having a pop) charge fortunes to come over, most clubs that have played them here recently have lost money on the game.

patmac wrote: »

It's still an opportunity that couldn't be turned down when you throw in the world-wide publicity, increased sponsorship the hundreds of half-season tickets sold on the back of it, the impression it must be making on the SDCC and the pay-day for local businesses.

It's also a good 'product' (:)) to nestle in the friendly programme. The Newcastle game is now sold out too.

As for the crowd expectation, most will never go to a Rovers match anyway.

I think there is a small hardcore that will like what they see and come back. Like what they see as in the home support, the vibe, and the culture. Not a large amount, but even a handful is good. More supporters than you think dribble into the league via friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Unfortunately it seems nothing good can ever happen in this country without some arsehole trying to make a killing out of it. If at least Rovers would get the money...

And there is always someone who is ready to cut down anyone who sees and makes good use of a business opportunity.

I'd say P1 are sorry they did not price them at €80

Advertisement