Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 29-06-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I was banned permanently from After Hours on friday after calling Michael Jackson 'a washed up deviant' on the Michael Jackson Condolence thread.

Now, from the Collins Concise Dictionary:

Washed UP: adj. without hope, defeated.
    i.e. Jackson had not realeased a recording nor had performed in years, and the possibility of him doing 50 concerts in London was far fetched, he was also heavily addicted to prescription medication and was millions in debt.

Deviant: adj. 1. deviating, as from what is considered acceptable behaviour. n 2. a person whose behaviour, esp. sexual behaviour, deviates from what is considered to be accectable.
    i.e. Jackson considered it 'normal' to sleep with children, which he said in the Martin Bashir interview.

Reading the thread, one one think it you were reading about Mother Threasa or Nelson Mandela, and not a mention of Jackson's bizarre and disturbing private life.

I fully expected to get banned from the thread (and encouraged the moderator to do so), as anyone who posted a negative comment got banned, but getting a permanent ban is a bit far fetched.

Jackson might have released a few good songs, but he was a nefarious character to say the least.

Anybody any comments?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Your ban was commuted to 7 days on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Your ban was reduced from permanent to a 1 week ban later in the same day by Terry, the same mod who banned you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    Can't believe this thread, he was washed up Deviant.

Go on Ban me!

You also asked him to ban you.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

You also asked him to ban you.

I did. And mentioned this in my original post.

I did. And mentioned this in my original post.

Well thats all cleared up nicely then. See you on friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP you should have told the mods that the ban is ignorant. They're being ignorant.

On a serious note, why is AH having condolence threads? Seems like something for a bebo/facebook page were people can post RIP MJ. I personally don't see the point of condolence threads and would prefer it was an open debate on his life including the negatives and positives (ofc without tasteless jokes).

When i seen the title as condolence thread, it put me off the thread as a debate. Those threads usually turn into the bleeding heart brigade posting their new found love of their fallen celebrity. In fact in one of my comments in the thread, I felt i needed to put RIP MJ to stay off the reported post/ban radar.

I stand by my comment though, Moonwalker for the Sega Mega Drive was a terrible game :mad:

OP you should have told the mods that the ban is ignorant. They're being ignorant.

On a serious note, why is AH having condolence threads? Seems like something for a bebo/facebook page were people can post RIP MJ. I personally don't see the point of condolence threads and would prefer it was an open debate on his life including the negatives and positives (ofc without tasteless jokes).

When i seen the title as condolence thread, it put me off the thread as a debate. Those threads usually turn into the bleeding heart brigade posting their new found love of their fallen celebrity. In fact in one of my comments in the thread, I felt i needed to put RIP MJ to stay off the reported post/ban radar.

I stand by my comment though, Moonwalker for the Sega Mega Drive was a terrible game :mad:
    Good point actually. From closely monitoring the thread there is plenty of discussion and debate in there as well as condolences. We have not taken action against anyone trying to discuss either side in a tasteful way. I have renamed the thread now.

Good point actually. From closely monitoring the thread there is plenty of discussion and debate in there as well as condolences. We have not taken action against anyone trying to discuss either side in a tasteful way. I have renamed the thread now.

I didn't mean the comment about reported post/ban radar as a dig against the mods. I did notice one or two posters who thought a difference of opinion in a more negative light on MJ warrant a ban on the thread though.

Thanks for listening bollocko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You're my new favourite poster Gummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have to admit that condolence threads are mawkish and corny.

You want to do your +1 RIP Lady Di thing, fair enough, but why does everybody else have to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stovelid wrote: »
    I have to admit that condolence threads are mawkish and corny.

You want to do your +1 RIP Lady Di thing, fair enough, but why does everybody else have to?

They're not so much condolence threads (yeah I know the title said condolence but it's been revised) as joke-free discussion threads.

Anyway we've been through this in at least 3 other threads recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

javaboy wrote: »
    They're not so much condolence threads (yeah I know the title said condolence but it's been revised) as joke-free discussion threads.

Anyway we've been through this in at least 3 other threads recently.

/Shrugs.

Substitute joke-free for condolence and I mean the same thing.

I'm like the majority of sentient humans on the planet insofar as I can simultaneously accommodate regret about the passing of a musical genius and ghoulish humour into my world view.

Didn't see the thread title-change. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

We have very few condolence threads.
    Sometimes the majority want them and we cater to the majority.
    We pick and choose which ones go ahead.
    Michael Jackson was an icon to many people. Not me. I couldn't care less about him, but most of the people posting in AH did seem to have some place in their heart for him.
    The majority get what they want.

AH. The little bit of democracy in the benevolant dictatorship that is boards.ie.

OP, you told us to ban you.
    What did you expect?

If someone tells me to ban them, then I will ban them. You just don't get to dictate the duration of the ban.

I reduced the length of the ban without telling you because you were being a smart arse in public, but were quite different via PM.

Just note that if you say something like "go ahead and ban me", then I will ban you.
    Don't come whining to feedback if you asked to be banned in the first place.

Would you go into a pub, walk into the middle of a conversation and tell people that you think what they are talking about is ridiculous, throw all of your toys out of your pram, tell the bar man to bar you and then complain about being barred?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Op, while your at the dictionary look up the word condolence in it. It might give you a hint why you were banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I don't see the problem with occassional condolence threads.
    does every AH thread have to be a "debate", a thanks-gathering exercise or a shitstorm?

Just occassionaly, it can be nice to show that, underneath all the shenanigans, the AH punters CAN deal with something respectfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

big b wrote: »
    Just occassionaly, it can be nice to show that, underneath all the shenanigans, the AH punters CAN deal with something respectfully.

he he he... you're funny.

Rabies wrote: »
    he he he... you're funny.

It's been a very emotional morning.............

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Would you like to start a thread in AH. I'll make sure no one takes the p!ss out of you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I fully expected to get banned from the thread (and encouraged the moderator to do so), as anyone who posted a negative comment got banned, but getting a permanent ban is a bit far fetched.

Anybody any comments?

Ok lets get this straight:
    1. You posted a comment that you know wasnt acceptable
    2. You expected to be banned
    3. You encouraged the mod to ban you
    4. You got what you asked for, banned

Now you are here because you think your ban is too harsh?

There are people like you in every corner of the country and your actions are pathetic. I dont like condolence threads either but rebeling by inciting trouble in a condolence thread in protest, rather than contacting the mods or starting a thread in feedback to give your view on why you dont think these kind of threads should be allowed. There is even a humanities forum, go there and start a thread discussing your view.

Rabies wrote: »
    Would you like to start a thread in AH. I'll make sure no one takes the p!ss out of you

:D

Unlike a box of Quality Street, my morning ain't for sharing. ;)

(nice sales pitch though, they should sticky that!:pac: )

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    We have very few condolence threads.
    Sometimes the majority want them and we cater to the majority.
    We pick and choose which ones go ahead.
    Michael Jackson was an icon to many people. Not me. I couldn't care less about him, but most of the people posting in AH did seem to have some place in their heart for him.
    The majority get what they want.

AH. The little bit of democracy in the benevolant dictatorship that is boards.ie.

OP, you told us to ban you.
    What did you expect?

If someone tells me to ban them, then I will ban them. You just don't get to dictate the duration of the ban.

I reduced the length of the ban without telling you because you were being a smart arse in public, but were quite different via PM.

Just note that if you say something like "go ahead and ban me", then I will ban you.
    Don't come whining to feedback if you asked to be banned in the first place.

Would you go into a pub, walk into the middle of a conversation and tell people that you think what they are talking about is ridiculous, throw all of your toys out of your pram, tell the bar man to bar you and then complain about being barred?

Terry,

The issue i had was with a permanent ban, had you informed me there was a 7 day ban, i would not have had an issue with that. As i have stated previously, i expected a ban from the thread. And there would have no need to post in Feedback.

The last paragraph of you post regarding going into a pub is a bit wide of the mark, as any good bar man, would tell me to shut up, and threaten to ban me!!!

faceman wrote: »
    Ok lets get this straight:
    1. You posted a comment that you know wasnt acceptable
    2. You expected to be banned
    3. You encouraged the mod to ban you
    4. You got what you asked for, banned

Now you are here because you think your ban is too harsh?

There are people like you in every corner of the country and your actions are pathetic. I dont like condolence threads either but rebeling by inciting trouble in a condolence thread in protest, rather than contacting the mods or starting a thread in feedback to give your view on why you dont think these kind of threads should be allowed. There is even a humanities forum, go there and start a thread discussing your view.

Thankfully, there are not people like you in every part of the country. i had an issue regarding the length of a ban, not the ban itself, a matter which has been resolved. I can't personally see whats pathetic about that. Can you?

big b wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with occassional condolence threads.
    does every AH thread have to be a "debate", a thanks-gathering exercise or a shitstorm?

I can understand a condolence thread for a boards member who died and people want to pay their respects through boards as this was their contact to him/her but some celebrity who didn't even know we existed.. nope.
    AH Charter wrote:
    Some cross pollination may occur, but most of the time After Hours is used to discuss more "light-hearted" issues and topics such as celebrities, interesting websites, non-serious events, general questions and advice on trivial issues, light-hearted or interesting news.

I don't think "RIP MJ" are discussion posts and I think facebook/bebo pages or the offical fansite would be a better place for them. At least if you post on the official condolence site, the celebrities relatives will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Terry,

The issue i had was with a permanent ban, had you informed me there was a 7 day ban, i would not have had an issue with that. As i have stated previously, i expected a ban from the thread. And there would have no need to post in Feedback.

The last paragraph of you post regarding going into a pub is a bit wide of the mark, as any good bar man, would tell me to shut up, and threaten to ban me!!!
    If you come into AH and ask me to ban you, then I will ban you and I will determine the length of the ban.

Just keep note of that for future reference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thankfully, there are not people like you in every part of the country. i had an issue regarding the length of a ban, not the ban itself, a matter which has been resolved. I can't personally see whats pathetic about that. Can you?

Will the ban give you time to reflect on what you did and avoid you repeating the same mistake again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

:D

It's amazing how many people have access to helpdesk these days.

It's amazing how many people have access to helpdesk these days.

(some)People like to help :D

Like Terry here....
    Terry wrote: »
    If you come into AH and ask me to ban you, then I will ban you and I will determine the length of the ban.

Just keep note of that for future reference.

....giving people what they want, since.....well...ages now :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So everything is all better now. Great, we're all mates.

Next time PM the mod, this isnt feedback. (this may, however, be Sparta).

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement