Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel comics features first gay kiss

Options
  • 29-06-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

For any comic fans out there who might have grown tired of Marvel comics rather poor showing when it came to gay characters, the most recent issue of X-factor [issue 45] features a kiss between two male X-men [Rictor and Shatterstar, long thought to be a couple by fans but now proven in canon] While Marvel has had a few gay characters before they've had a history of never really done anything positive with them so massive step for them. While there are comics with featuring gay characters out there, this is the first time Marvel, the largest mainstream comics publisher, has featured two male characters kissing in one of their books.

Mainly positive response from comic fans but a few homophobes freaking out. X-factor writer Peter David deals with one quite wonderfully on his blog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I wonder how long before one or both of them dies as seem to happen to what few male gay chars there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I wonder how long before one or both of them dies as seem to happen to what few male gay chars there are.

that was actually my first thought after reading the issue but Peter David has been very clear in interviews and via his blog that they are going to be around and couple for a good number of issues and he is going to focus on how some of the other characters deal with it. He said to go the other road and have one leave/die/chicken out in the next issue would be cheap and he doesn't do cheap :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And yet the incestious relationship between Sacrelt Wtich and QuickSilver in Ultimate Marvel didn't causes much hassle at all, which in comparison is pretty disguisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Did Collossus and Northstar never kiss in Ultimate X-Men? Only started reading comics in the late 90's so this couple was the first (and only Ive seen so far) gay couple I've seen in comics. That being said I dont particularly remember them ever kissing and im not in the mood to trundle through 50-odd issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jafin wrote: »
    Did Collossus and Northstar never kiss in Ultimate X-Men? Only started reading comics in the late 90's so this couple was the first (and only Ive seen so far) gay couple I've seen in comics. That being said I dont particularly remember them ever kissing and im not in the mood to trundle through 50-odd issues.

Not on panel they didn't....it was implied off panel. Also Wican and Hulking in new avengers are a couple but again have never kissed or done more the hold hands on panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

ztoical wrote: »
    Not on panel they didn't....it was implied off panel. Also Wican and Hulking in new avengers are a couple but again have never kissed or done more the hold hands on panel.

OMG how could I forget about Wiccan and Hulkling, I flippin' love the Young Avengers!

Advertisement