Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird profile behaviour with my Dell Inspiron 1300

• 29-06-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Help anyone!
    I went to log into my laptop tonight and a message came up while it was loading during the blue screen. A small grey window saying 'Windows cannot find your profile so we are loading a local profile for you. This may be due to a security issue. Work done on this profile will not be saved' or words to this effect.
    The only option here is to click 'ok', nothing else.
    Then a second window opens saying 'Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile'.
    I've been shutting down, restarting, and starting all evening in the hope of getting my own profile back up, since obviously i don't want to be looking at that cloudy wallpaper with only about 3 desktop icons for the rest of the week.

Can anyone advise what i should do to repair this?
    I know my Inspiron 1300 isn't the youngest anymore but i at least want to recover my files from my own profile before resigning it for good
    Many thanks everyone
    DG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

My 1300 did something similar. Rang Dell support. I had to reset it to factory settings by holding down the control key and tapping the F11 key during powerup. I then followed the on-screen instructions. It meant that i lost all my files but I had most of them backed up. It cost me 35euro for the service. Its like a new laptop since, fast as hell.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can you boot into your profile in safe mode?
    Can you do a system restore, as your profile, or as admin?

No idea will they work, but its where id start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.
    This problem happens the odd time to machines in work. Your profile has become corrupt. I usually make a copy of the user profile, and put it in the root of the C drive. Once i have it copied across i delete the original and let windows "recreate" a new profile when you reboot and log back in. Once that is done i copy all the important data back to the newly created profile, from the old one.
    The only issue i can see, is the new profile you are currently signed into may not have admin rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Some people using Vista experiencing this problem claim that if you wait a few minutes before logging in, your profile is found.

If this doesn't work, you do have a corrupt profile and you'll need to go on Alanstrainor's advice.

Advertisement