Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting an alarm fitted to a car: pros and cons?

• 29-06-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with fitting an alarm to a car? Is this expensive? Are they reliable or will they be set off by accident every time a gust of wind blows? I'm thinking of buying a secondhand car (Mini) but am a bit concerned as it has no alarm. For peace of mind, and also possibly to reduce the insurance, I'd much prefer an alarm rather than just the immobiliser on its own but am terrified I'll end up with one of those mentalist car alarms that blare away all day and night driving the neighbours to drink! Thanks for any help and/or recommendations on this. Any idea of costs would be v helpful too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Of course it's more advantageous to have an alarm, however if the mini is the new model (made by BMW) it cannot be started without the key (hotwired). Therefore the only way your car can be stolen is if someone breaks in to your house and steals the key. If you have an alarm fitted the fob will be with the key anyhow. In general criminals know this and would not be bothered with a mini anyhow. Don't sweat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

You may find that there is an alarm "Ready Made" for your car so there is no messing with the cars electrics. You should give a Car alarm installer a buzz. Cartronics in Santry is one that I can think of. I'm sure there's others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

there is a disadvantage that i learn't. if your car has an immobiliser and you fit an aftermarket alarm it also has an immobiliser fitted and when you loose your car keys the alarm immobiliser wont allow you to get another car key programmed .......:mad: cost another €280 to get the bloody alarm out of the wifes car ...... GRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks to you both. Yes, it's a BMW model so I hadn't really thought through the logistics of the alarm obviously being with the key at the same time. However, I live in a bit of a dodgey area so it's more for when some of the scummy teenagers around come poking around, which they do sometimes late in the evening. Judging by experiences that some of my neighbours have had, the wee brats seem to run when the alarm goes off before doing any real damage! (It is so frustrating that I can't park my own car in my own driveway without having to think of such things, but hey, that's for a ranting and raving thread!)

I'll give that place in Santry a call and see what they suggest - obviously I'd prefer something that could be installed with as little disruption as possible, but something reliable at the same time.

Thanks for the help; anyone else's experience, good or bad, v welcome too.

Edited: just saw the third post there. That would be a bit of a problem alright. Seems like a lot of money to have to pay to un-do. Maybe it would be easier if we hadn't trained our dog not to bark so much when she was younger! Could spend the cash on a big rottie or something instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

while talking to the locksmith that sorted our car he explained that all cars sold in england / ireland have immobilisers on them since the mid 90s thats why scumbags break into houses now to steal cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fiona-f wrote: »
    Thanks to you both. Yes, it's a BMW model so I hadn't really thought through the logistics of the alarm obviously being with the key at the same time. However, I live in a bit of a dodgey area so it's more for when some of the scummy teenagers around come poking around, which they do sometimes late in the evening. Judging by experiences that some of my neighbours have had, the wee brats seem to run when the alarm goes off before doing any real damage! (It is so frustrating that I can't park my own car in my own driveway without having to think of such things, but hey, that's for a ranting and raving thread!)

I'll give that place in Santry a call and see what they suggest - obviously I'd prefer something that could be installed with as little disruption as possible, but something reliable at the same time.

Thanks for the help; anyone else's experience, good or bad, v welcome too.

Edited: just saw the third post there. That would be a bit of a problem alright. Seems like a lot of money to have to pay to un-do. Maybe it would be easier if we hadn't trained our dog not to bark so much when she was younger! Could spend the cash on a big rottie or something instead!

TBH it's easier not to leave anything visable in the car and to be really safe leave the empty glove box open. All an alarm will do is make noise that you may want to respond too but it could be foolish.

The only alarm that will stop the car being taken is a top end one with anti hijack, but that's a bit OTT for a MINI unless it's a top end one. And as everyone knows that cars can't stolen without keys if they see a good alarm fob they could treathen you/your family to get the code.

Advertisement