Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOYOTA CELICA BEAMS

• 29-06-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

lads and lassies im looking at buying a 1998 toyota celica ss2,it has the beams engine,now ive had one person say there a bucket off shi*e,to another who would but his life on it??
    what do ye think,and if anyone had one whats the ups and downs,does anyone know someone with one??what are the pros and cons???
    cheers folks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

hmm,

depends

as a car the celica, its fine
    as a sports car, its not the best out there (FWD, heavy, 2+2, etc)
    as a sports cruiser, its pretty good

The beams means you get a relatively powerful N/A sports cruiser thats better than the standard versions and not as much to insure as the GT4 turbo (which incidently I feel can't make use of the little extra power)

VVTI Yamaha Redtop is relatively easy on fuel.

It is FWD thus any more power really isn't necessary (t-steer, grip, wheel direction troubles etc)

BuckO'Sit isn't really a well judged opinion, sounds like a comment from a scanger/boyracer :rolleyes:

It is a perfectly good car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

hmm,

depends

as a car the celica, its fine
    as a sports car, its not the best out there (FWD, heavy, 2+2, etc)
    as a sports cruiser, its pretty good

The beams means you get a relatively powerful N/A sports cruiser thats better than the standard versions and not as much to insure as the GT4 turbo (which incidently I feel can't make use of the little extra power)

VVTI Yamaha Redtop is relatively easy on fuel.

It is FWD thus any more power really isn't necessary (t-steer, grip, wheel direction troubles etc)

BuckO'Sit isn't really a well judged opinion, sounds like a comment from a scanger/boyracer :rolleyes:

It is a perfectly good car.

well i used the term bucket of S meself,as he gave the car a very bad reveiw,like they arent reliable etc,like the power wise wouldnt be my concern,its i just dont want to be stuck with an unreliable car,but as i say another mate says he loves them,he had 2 and would buy another..are the beams engine itself reliable??
    goodbuy cheers for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tattoo man wrote: »
    well i used the term bucket of S meself,as he gave the car a very bad reveiw,like they arent reliable etc,like the power wise wouldnt be my concern,its i just dont want to be stuck with an unreliable car,but as i say another mate says he loves them,he had 2 and would buy another..are the beams engine itself reliable??
    goodbuy cheers for the input.

The engine itself is very reliable.

The celica can come with superstrut suspension which doesn't take well to irish roads and can cause up to 3k to replace however i'm not sure if the ssII comes with it.

There definitely not unreliable anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A 'beams' celica is an SSIII. For a fwd car they handle well enough. I know a guy who's had a SSII for three years and loves the way it copes with the back roads on his way to work. The SSIII also has super-strut suspension so should handle even better. The downside is the super-strut suspension is also the only thing I've heard of that always goes wrong on these cars. There's two little bars on the front wheels that seem to break if the cars left sitting idle too long....like on a boat from Japan. On the standard car they're like 80 quid each. For the super-strut they're about 600 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

engines, body, mechanicals are first class...

I forgot about that suspension! :P silly stupid suspension

• Advertisement
Advertisement