Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S40 (Diesel) - Replacement Turbocharger

• 29-06-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to know if anybody has any idea where i would get a replacement Turbo for my S40 diesel. It's an 03 model. Looking for a re-conditioned one or a salvage from a scrapyard. I am having a hard time finding one and i need the car back on the road soon but i can't afford to pay an arm and a leg. I have the list of scrapyards in Dublin and i'm gonna work my way through it, but just hoping somebody may have seen one somewhere and save me 100 phonecalls!!

Also looking to know roughly what this is likely to cost me, either 2nd hand or re-conned.

Cheers,
    Ivan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The diesel engine in that S40 was a Renault unit and was also found in the Mitsubishi Carisma and Renault Laguna MkI afaik.

Might be worth giving Traynor's up North a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DEMON 90

note there is 2 diesel engines : a 102 bhp and 116 bhp , both of which are 1.9 diesel, i two am in the same situation as i blew the turbo on my 02 volvo on sat, have rang a lot of breaker yards in country with no luck and also rang traynors: no joy, the best i have came up with is €826 for the turbo and i have my brother who is a mechanic fit it for €325, if you do find one in scrap yard make sure you cross reference the chassis no.s to make sure it is the correct one , this can be done by calling in to your local volvo dealer parts section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I was thinking of taking it off this evening so if i go to a scrapyard i can see if it is the same unit.

I'm not sure what BHP the car is. It's a uk model.
    I knew it was the same engine as the renault but i would definitely have to see the one coming out of a renault to make sure it's the same unit.

I'm ringing breakers all day and having no joy..

Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

Rule number 1- turbos dont die, they are killed. When replacing the turbo ask mechanic what caused the turbo to fail. Check http://www.assuredperformance.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000006 According to turbo manufactorers most turbo replacements are incorectly diagnosed.

dainius wrote: »
    Rule number 1- turbos dont die, they are killed. When replacing the turbo ask mechanic what caused the turbo to fail. Check http://www.assuredperformance.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000006 According to turbo manufactorers most turbo replacements are incorectly diagnosed.

Oil seal apparently. Starved of oil. Turbo fcuked.

• Advertisement

check the engine no, if it is d4192t3 it is 116bhb and if it is d4192t4 it is 104 bhp, you should be able to find this in the vehicle registration cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

102bhp engine was dropped in favour of 116bhp version from mid 2001 afaik.

Thanks for all the replies. I can get a re-con turbo from a guy in Duleek for around €450 so that's not too bad. I have also found one for €350 in Ardee but i'm not sure if it's a re-con or a 2nd hand.
    Think thats the best i can hope for.

Cheers

i hope you cross referenced the chassis no.s as i had a scrap yard insist that they had a turbo for a 1.9 diesel , but when i checked the no.s out at volvo dealership it turned out to be a turbo off a petrol engine

• Advertisement

Yea, i was lucky enough to have a boards member contact me and give me the volvo part number for the turbo corresponding to my chassis number. I think it gets a bit confusing with these volvo engines cause they're originally from a Renault.

Ta for the help.

Advertisement