Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wadkin Lathe for sale.

Options
  • 29-06-2009 9:30pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A good personal friend of mine who has been in the woodworking machinery business for many years, and gives me first dibbs on any woodturning lathes , has offered me the following.

Wadkin 3 phase woodturning lathe. 5 foot between centers. Seperate outrigger for bowlturning. Needs a good clean up. The photo I have looks good.

I told my friend to hold on to it for the next week or two, until I contact some turners I know..........You lot:)

As you know wadkin lathes are very thin on the ground, and refurbed ones are going to cost you an arm and a leg, if you can get them. the only reason I,m not buying it ....at the moment. Is I have the big centauro lathe with all the kit, that I bought from him about 2-3 years ago, and 3 other lathes of varying description.

So if you are in the market for one , let me know. The chap selling it is 100% genuine, as I,ve had many dealings with him down through the years, and I can vouch for him. There is nothing in this for me , and his asking price is far less than a 4 figure sum.

I,ll give you guys a week before I post up the details on adverts.ie.
    This lathe is old school, and its going to outlast the lot of us:D

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Damn,just when I'm about to go on hols and have no spare cash:mad:Give us a clue on pennies?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Good god man:mad:, owning a wadkin lathe is a status symbol.:p
    Its the rols royce of woodworking machinery. made when quality of build was paramount, and solid to boot. its not like todays pressed steel machines.A wadkin will outlive any of the modern day crap. And you can refurbish it your self...........happy days.

Oh......and its less than a grand ;)

Thats enough to make you real miserable on your hols...:p

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

fcek it,I just bought a lathe a few months back,under a grand you say,damn. Would you care to lash the pic up so I can at least dribble.

Well, drool all you want to, here you go:)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

drool,feck it,I'm telling the missus n the kids there going to Rush for they hols now!(no offense to anyone who may live in Rush:D)

• Advertisement

aerosol wrote: »
    drool,feck it,I'm telling the missus n the kids there going to Rush for they hols now!(no offense to anyone who may live in Rush:D)

Stop drooling all over your laptop:D

I told you it was the business...:cool:

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Did bog fly ever get a hold of one? He was looking for one earlier in the year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460348&highlight=wadkin

Do they disasemble? by the looks of it it wouldn't have fitted through my house anyway.(no side entrance)

It would go through a standard door way, I,d say..........does that make you miserable now:D

Headstock unit would disassemble from the bed assembly, to the best of my knowledge.

kadman

Heres a picture of the wadkin lathe from an original catalogue. This is definitely a fine machine, with a compound cross slide as well, it opens up a lot of possibilities. I,ll check with the seller to see if the cross slide is available as well.
    If it is.......my interests might be awakening as well. As my centauro has no cross slide.

kadman

• Advertisement

Fine indeed,what does the cross sled do,is it for mounting cutting tips or something?

The cross slide gives you similar capabilitise as the slide on a metal working lathe.

You can progress a cutting tool, from the tailstock to the headstock, at a predertimined distance from the centre axis of the lathe. As well as moving a cutting tool across the face of a platter, in other words move a cutting tool in at a preset angle towards the centre axis of the lathe.

Unfortunately the cross slide is not available, but its not impossible to make one to suit the gear track.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnnyno7

Hi Kadman. I just saw your add about the lathe for sale. I was just wondering how much and what kind of work would need to be done to the lathe?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tomdk

gorgeous... if I had a workshop I'd snap it up... fun re-furbing it and a lifetime using it...

johnnyno7 wrote: »
    Hi Kadman. I just saw your add about the lathe for sale. I was just wondering how much and what kind of work would need to be done to the lathe?

I,ve been assured that its in great order, and the photo appears to verify that. Obviously a close up look would be the order of the day. last I heard was 750 +vat. But I reckon a cash deal would do the job , if its still there. There,s nothing in this for me, and its being sold by a longtime friend in the machinery business.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Hi,
    I would be interseted in the lathe?
    Is she still for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 meathjoiner

I assume the machine is long gone?

I,ll get an update on this and post it here. I think its only fair to stick to the order of interest on this.

kadman

Thats great much appreciated thanks.

Just heard that the lathe is gone. But as soon as a similar one comes up, I will get first refusal on it, so I,ll keep you posted .

kadman

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Just heard that the lathe is gone. But as soon as a similar one comes up, I will get first refusal on it, so I,ll keep you posted .

kadman

Thats fine thanks for getting back to me.

Advertisement