Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People's experiences after doing the CELTA?

• 29-06-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering if people would like to describe how they get on after doing a CELTA (or similar type TEFL course). I’ve been weighing up doing one for a while now but I’m a bit apprehensive about just biting the bullet and applying!

Maybe things like:

Did you stay in Ireland to teach or did you go abroad?
    Was it hard to get jobs (in Ireland or abroad)?
    Did anyone go into it with the idea of a "year out" but then discover that they really loved it and continued doing it?
    Or the opposite of that, did anyone find that they really didn't enjoy it after expecting to?
    The main one I suppose, would you recommend it?

It would be great to hear about some people's experiences.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jellymonster

have been thinking about doing a TEFL course myself so i'd like people's opinions as well!! My cousin did it and was lucky to get a job over here and she thorouhgly enjoyed both the course and teaching but she was very lucky with the job she got if that helps in any way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'm teaching in Japan at the moment (on the back of a CELTA) and loving it. I'll be honest and admit I did it as a ticket to travel/work. I do love teaching though and it's what I want to do when I return home some day. Know another lad in China doing the same and another in Korea. Both having a ball. I don't think they plan on returning to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

The more I think about it, the more tempting it is to do the CELTA. It seems (from reading this thread and others on boards) to be a really good qualification. I really like the idea of heading abroad to travel but at the same time being able to work while doing it. Im also interested in teaching as a potential career and feel that this would be a good way to try it. The only thing is, I would like to be able to work in Ireland until the end of the current year or early 2010. Would anyone know what the job prospects are like for tefl teachers in Ireland once the summer ends?

Thanks again and any other opinions would be good too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I did the CELT (the CELTA is overpriced for what is precisely the same course, and the CELT is under the auspices of the Irish Department of Education and thus a recognised teaching qualification in every secondary school in Ireland).

I'm currently teaching English in Dublin. It's great experience and enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The CELTA is recognised internationally. As posted both are similar although I personally think the CELTA is a bit better to have. After a few years experience it won't matter either way. Of more importance IMO is the reputation of the school/institution doing it. Just because courses are reckoned to be good does not necessarily mean those who deliver it are. That said Cambridge do themselves no favours with pricing of CELTA or any of their exams for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have a Cambridge CELTA and spent 7 years teaching in Japan, but am back in Ireland now.

A TEFL qualification is a great way to travel and find work to fund those travels, but you will find that without further qualification, you fall back down to the bottom rung of the ladder every time you change school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Re CELTA / CELT - can be a bit hard to explain the dropped A if you go OS.

I did it as a change in career.

I loved it, I have been looking for camp jobs to get formal experience and I voluntary work with children so I could gain confidence and show that I am serious.

I got a last minute job in Italy for 2 weeks teaching 6-7 year olds and it has confirmed what I want to do, live and work in Italy. which I hope to do come September.

I am now looking for on line study to complete a degree and UNE in Australia do an on line degree where you can do a double major in Linguistics and language.

In regards to Italy, you can teach without the degree, the CELTA is more important, the pay is not the best but most supplement that with private conversation classes.

The issue with Ireland is that the big demand is during the summer months the jobs during the school year can be harder to come by.

If you are interested in people and love the English language you will love it. Although the grammar nearly made me cry!

Good Luck.

Advertisement