Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoises as pets?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Do many people have them in Ireland?

In are looking after a few at the moment in our walled garden and it's amazing watching lumber about after they've warmed up. The garden is secure and they love exploring it. They leave the grass and leaves off some plants. We leave bananas and cucumber out and they go mad for them!

I am aware that anything high in protein is not good, any other treats they can be given?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I think I've heard that spinach, kale and carrot are supposed to be nice for them too :)

Be careful with predators though I know a few ppl put up wire mesh to prevent birds swooping in and having them for dinner !

They are lovely esp the hermans. There is a pet shop near me that always has one or too and they are so adorable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

I have been told that when told are released into the wild as unwanted pats, that they destroy nests that would normally be safe, eg swans.
    Is this the case.?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I have been told that when told are released into the wild as unwanted pats, that they destroy nests that would normally be safe, eg swans.
    Is this the case.?
    Absolutely untrue! I have 2. The old guy is about 50 and the little one is 6. They are so easy to keep. You can buy special dried food in reptile shops. They also love dandelions,buttercups,sweetpea,cabbage. You cant overfeed them as they only eat what they want.
    Magpies are the only pest. They nick the food and would pick at them if they got the chance.
    Make sure the garden has some bushes and long grass for them to hide in and also to cool down when its too hot. I love my torties:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Do many people have them in Ireland?

In are looking after a few at the moment in our walled garden and it's amazing watching lumber about after they've warmed up. The garden is secure and they love exploring it. They leave the grass and leaves off some plants. We leave bananas and cucumber out and they go mad for them!

I am aware that anything high in protein is not good, any other treats they can be given?
    The healthiest tortoise foods are weeds such as dandelion, plantain, sow thistle, chicory, and romaine lettuce for the months of the year when the weed supply is low.
    I'd stop the banana, fruit disturbs the balance in their intestines and isn't recommended.
    The cucumber is only water, with almost no nutritional benefits.
    Both banana and cucumber are almost addictive for them, they'll ignore healthier foods if they have a constant supply of banana, etc.

Spinach restricts the uptake of calcium and so do other plants in the cabbage family, so avoid those.
    Check the Tortoise Trust site for more detailed info:
    www.tortoisetrust.org

And this site has a list of nutritionally good weeds and flowers:
    http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/Diet.htm#plantlist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Is this the case.?
    First off, they should NEVER be "released into the wild", they're not native to this country and can only live and thrive if we recreate their natural environment as closely as possible.

As regards damaging nests, I've read that turtles such as sliders seem capable of "surviving" in lakes or rivers and probably do feed on anything they can catch. However our waters are not warm enough for them to breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

what type of tortoise are they, as some have different needs when it comes to feeding,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Rancid wrote: »
    The healthiest tortoise foods are weeds such as dandelion, plantain, sow thistle, chicory, and romaine lettuce for the months of the year when the weed supply is low.
    I'd stop the banana, fruit disturbs the balance in their intestines and isn't recommended.
    The cucumber is only water, with almost no nutritional benefits.
    Both banana and cucumber are almost addictive for them, they'll ignore healthier foods if they have a constant supply of banana, etc.

Spinach restricts the uptake of calcium and so do other plants in the cabbage family, so avoid those.
    Check the Tortoise Trust site for more detailed info:
    www.tortoisetrust.org

And this site has a list of nutritionally good weeds and flowers:
    http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/Diet.htm#plantlist

Seconded, I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hello everyone

Can you help me identify these guys please? Unfortunately they will have to return home soon...

This fella is the eldest at eighty I'm told

Photo0034-1.jpg

Nice photo

Photo0041.jpg

Second in size is fifty years in age

Photo0039.jpg

This is the baby in size and age, he is in his twenties. I saw him eating some shell from an egg out in the garden. The egg was a hens one used as a slug deterrent and had been in the garden for some time. Was he eating it for the calcium?

Photo0086-1.jpg

Hello everyone

Can you help me identify these guys please? Unfortunately they will have to return home soon...

This fella is the eldest at eighty I'm told

Photo0034-1.jpg

Nice photo

Photo0041.jpg

Second in size is fifty years in age

Photo0039.jpg

This is the baby in size and age, he is in his twenties. I saw him eating some shell from an egg out in the garden. The egg was a hens one used as a slug deterrent and had been in the garden for some time. Was he eating it for the calcium?

Photo0086-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

They are fantastic! I think they may be Hermanns tortoises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The second last photo looks like a hermanns,two others (first two) look like spur thighed torts. the colour in the photos is dodgy tho and doesn't help. Last on looks like a hermanns too.

I'll see if I can get some better photos, photobucket is being a load of tempermental cr*p.

Should I take a photos of their undersides?

Advertisement