Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you get a kick out of "shocking" men by doing "manly" things?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Vegeta wrote: »
    Get a "powerbar" they're about 2ft long and take a 1/2" socket of any size (can therefore be used on any car) Great yokes. Also get some copper grease for the wheel nuts, prevents them rusting onto the hub and being extremely difficult to remove
    +1 that's the name I was grasping for. The copper grease is a very good plan too. Funny I see what you mean about the + braces, but I found them fine, but I would use them by pushing down on one side and pulling with t'other, so maybe that's why I've had less of a problem. They spin the nut off faster too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I do get a kick out of doing something when someone tells me I can't, whether it's because I'm a girl or otherwise. I do get annoyed when people comment on my "manly" hobbies/interests. I have mainly male friends and most of the ones from college would regard me as a "tomboy" due to my hobbies {they glaze over at the mention of sports}.
    I have also have been told "You don't dress like a tomboy.... You're kinda weird". :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

g'em wrote: »
    It sometimes amazes me how differently gender stereotyping is received in the forum depending on the sex of the OP and gender being stereotyped :confused:

I lift stuff (I know, I know, I've mentioned it a few times :p) and I lift stuff better than many (most?) average guys out there. I used to get a right kick out of seeing their faces when a bloke would realise that this blonde chickeen could out-lift him on a bad day but now... meh. I regularly get accused of taking steroids, told I'm a freak and unfeminine - there's really no kick to be had from that.

I wouldn't change my sport for the world, but I don't feel so smug getting a kick out of it anymore.

No problem with women doing stuff like mending the car etc, just not my cup of tea. "shocking men "??? coulda put that differently as it puts us on the back foot , as in , " what the hell are those wimmin on about now " ....If we are gonna mend cars and such stuff i think we should just get on with it and as usual DO THE JOB BETTER THEN EM . Aside from that ......another us and them joke/laugh. love that !!!! threads good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I find you get that attitude moreso from other women - in my experience, most men just think it's cool and interesting when you can do something that's not generally seen as a "womanly" thing to do. A lot of women, however, are more than happy to subscribe to the whole "oh that's a man's job" thing. The topic of changing a wheel came up on another (nearly all-female) forum I'm on a few months back, and I was genuinely shocked by the number of women who A) had no idea how to do it and B) had absolutely zero interest in learning. The prevailing attitude was that a man will always come along and offer to do it for you. Same went for rewiring a plug, changing a fuse, checking oil/fluid levels, etc.

I had to call around to a friend's flat a while back just to reset her circuit breaker because she had no idea whatsoever what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I had to call around to a friend's flat a while back just to reset her circuit breaker because she had no idea whatsoever what it was.

:eek::eek::eek:

OMG, that's disgraceful.

I'm not particularly handy, but I can do all the things you mentioned there. I'll pretty much give anything a go, but I'd really just be guessing - so if there was someone else there, man or woman, I'd probably just let them at it instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I find it pretty cool when someone breaks a stereotype, especially when it's a girl doing a typically "manly" thing.

Personally I love throwing the aul "girlie" spanner into the works, especially with a girl who doesn't really know me and I'm in no way feminine so yeah, the looks on faces are enjoyable :)
    In my experience the art to most "girly" things is observation and memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Sure wasn't one of the first qualified Rolls Royce mechanics in Ireland a woman (Story may be a lie but my mammy told me and she wouldn't lie :p).

I don't know how many of you know Airfield House in Dundrum in Dublin but it's a farm that was willed to the state by the two women that used to live and work on it. Apparently one of the women had a Roller but it was too much of a pain in the arse to get it fixed in Ireland so off she went to get qualified herself. No more hassle for her.

Can't find a link confirming the story but I found one confirming that Letitia and Naomi Overend owned the house and had a Rolls. Apparently you can still see it complete with its original receipt at the house.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/jan/11/style-map-airfield-dundrum/

EDIT: Apparently both women attended a course at the ROlls Royce School of instruction and were mad for their cars and Rallying History page from site. They seem pretty impressive to me.

They seem a bit like Sister Loquacious/Mary Hodges from Good Omens

I find you get that attitude moreso from other women - in my experience, most men just think it's cool and interesting when you can do something that's not generally seen as a "womanly" thing to do. A lot of women, however, are more than happy to subscribe to the whole "oh that's a man's job" thing. The topic of changing a wheel came up on another (nearly all-female) forum I'm on a few months back, and I was genuinely shocked by the number of women who A) had no idea how to do it and B) had absolutely zero interest in learning. The prevailing attitude was that a man will always come along and offer to do it for you. Same went for rewiring a plug, changing a fuse, checking oil/fluid levels, etc.

All of that stuff /rewiring plugs etc. no problem , survival knowledge. mending cars just not my thing. If i had a choice between a man or a woman to mend my car i would choose a woman. We usually do a better job then men once we put our minds to it:rolleyes:. If last bit is a little off thread sorry....wanted to make a point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My dad owns a garage and engineering works and I spent all my free time with him as a kid. As a result, I can do basic lathework, competent electrical wiring and plumbing, I can use all basic woodwork tools. I can strip an engine, change a gear box etc. Why? Because Dad needed a helping hand and I was sitting around. He simply saw no reason why I couldn't do it. To this day I thank him for teaching me things.

To balance it out, my mother taught me to embroider, sew, crochet, knit and dressmaking. I also bake a lot. I also thank her.

I also did Taekwon do and weight training for years (that's one place you get funny looks as a woman). I did a degree in Physics and a PhD in Electrical Engineering (Dad might have had some influence there :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

dudara wrote: »
    My dad owns a garage and engineering works and I spent all my free time with him as a kid. As a result, I can do basic lathework, competent electrical wiring and plumbing, I can use all basic woodwork tools. I can strip an engine, change a gear box etc. Why? Because Dad needed a helping hand and I was sitting around. He simply saw no reason why I couldn't do it. To this day I thank him for teaching me things.

To balance it out, my mother taught me to embroider, sew, crochet, knit and dressmaking. I also bake a lot. I also thank her.

I also did Taekwon do and weight training for years (that's one place you get funny looks as a woman). I did a degree in Physics and a PhD in Electrical Engineering (Dad might have had some influence there :D).

I hope your not taken a picture would fulfill my perfect fantasy! Ahhh lovely!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dudara wrote: »
    I can strip an engine, change a gear box etc.
    I could make a decent fist of stripping down an engine(might never run again mind...), but gearboxes always flummoxed me. Could never get my head around them at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No, I have to say I don't really get a kick out of it, I'm usually mildly insulted when they are shocked :(

That said, all of the guys in work come running to me now with issues to do with phones, iphones, ipods, computers, wifi, email, cameras and general 'is there such a thing as a *thing* that will do *thing* so I can do *thing* from my laptop?'

When I first started in the job, it was like I was speaking but not at a frequency they could hear :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

managed to fix the gas in the holiday home.... while he was away trying to find the maintance man.... it was a good feeling!!!

but generally i find its best to leave men to it and keep your knowledge under wraps... makes them feel special when they fix something after an hour that you coulda done in 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Women think "manly things" and "masculinity" etc. are BS meaningless constructions, when it suits them.

They're certainly not BS constructions when it comes to things such as child support and custody.

So statements such as this come with a large element of mala fides:
    Thaedynal wrote:
    I do get a kick out of 'shocking' idiots who make assumptions about me due to a whole range of things not just my gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

,8,1 wrote: »
    Women think "manly things" and "masculinity" etc. are BS meaningless constructions, when it suits them.

They're certainly not BS constructions when it comes to things such as child support and custody.

So statements such as this come with a large element of mala fides:

You really seem to have some serious problems with women. Why is that, and why do you feel the need to bring them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Oddly enough, I don't get a kick out of 'shocking' women by doing "womanly things" because men can do all the thing a woman does just as well.
    Doesn't work the other way around though.....:pac::pac:

[WHEEEEEEEEE, CAN'T CATCH MEEEEEEEEE!!]

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I don't get a kick out of 'shocking' women by doing "womanly things" because men can do all the thing a woman does just as well.
    Doesn't work the other way around though.....:pac::pac:

[WHEEEEEEEEE, CAN'T CATCH MEEEEEEEEE!!]

I know ,I know, thats why we women look on men in such awe and baited breath . Why only the other day I was awestruck by the sight of my oh managing to open the washing machine door and placing some dirty socks in ......without messing up, :p and if evolution allows him to learn how to set a program and actually do a wash I will be on to Boards quick as a flash to inform the world of his success.......oh you men , where would we be without your .....your .......your...... oh yes, your little general. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

valery wrote: »
    I know ,I know, thats why we women look on men in such awe and baited breath . Why only the other day I was awestruck by the sight of my oh managing to open the washing machine door and placing some dirty socks in ......without messing up, :p and if evolution allows him to learn how to set a program and actually do a wash I will be on to Boards quick as a flash to inform the world of his success.......oh you men , where would we be without your .....your .......your...... oh yes, your little general. :D

If you can cut a hedge or build a wall, or strip an engine yet cannot put a wash on or clean the bathroom, you're not a man.

**EDIT** Thanks for reminding me. Just put on a towel wash there; 60 degrees, whitener, extra rinse (obviously, cos their towels:rolleyes: )

Now I'll refill the dishwasher cos the GF can't do it right. :pac:

Sleipnir wrote: »
    If you can cut a hedge or build a wall, or strip an engine yet cannot put a wash on or clean the bathroom, you're not a man.

**EDIT** Thanks for reminding me. Just put on a towel wash there; 60 degrees, whitener, extra rinse (obviously, cos their towels:rolleyes: )

Now I'll refill the dishwasher cos the GF can't do it right. :pac:

Your obviously one in a thrill..ion. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I really wonder about these discussions. Some women are capable of lifting weights, some men are capable of dressmaking. Now as far as weightlifting goes I couldn't imagine lifting barbells but I would carry planks, plasterboards, bags of cement as that I find useful. I would sew, knit, bake cakes, hand wash clothes and all sorts of stuff.

It depends on one's lifestyle. I used to run a lot but I preferred cycling up that bloody big hill from work. It was useful rather than necessary to compliment a sedentary lifestyle... :cool:

I'm never in awe at anyone but if there is an inspirational person to follow that is how far as I go.

Go back to the toolboxes, weights, knitting needles and stop wasting time on the internet!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

The topic of changing a wheel came up on another (nearly all-female) forum I'm on a few months back, and I was genuinely shocked by the number of women who A) had no idea how to do it and B) had absolutely zero interest in learning. The prevailing attitude was that a man will always come along and offer to do it for you.

Even worse, I remember hearing (not that long ago) some woman complaining on the radio that she had a flat tyre one night and not one single man (she specified the gender :rolleyes:) stopped to help her change it (we're not talking about an old biddy here, this was a woman in her 30s). Cue a rake of people ringing in to berate her for both her sexist mentality and laziness/uselessness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

now i feel guilty about not knowing how to change a tyre

beyond having to wind some thing round and round to get it off after propping it up on the jack-thingy
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I have to say Mrs Oldyouth is the most capable woman I have ever met. She does all the DIY in our house including tiling, electrics, plumbing, painting, decorating and the like. One time, because I knew the local car dealer, we were invited to the launch of a new car model. As part of the craic, they had a car lifted on it's side and there was a competition to swap the front wheel with the back wheel against the clock. Mrs Oldyouth went in to a frenzy and beat all male opposition.
    I've been living with a dominant woman for over 20yrs and recommend it to everyone (If you know what I mean:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

my girlfriend can service her car and well basically do anything motor wise with her car and for some weird reason its the biggest (ok not the biggest but a huge) turn on. Cant explain it but when I see her working on the car I normally pick her up and etc.

bluewolf wrote: »
    now i feel guilty about not knowing how to change a tyre

beyond having to wind some thing round and round to get it off after propping it up on the jack-thingy
    :o

know where your coming from , too late for me to learn as well ..ho hum:rolleyes:
    re the "jack thingy", was that not some little guy who would jump out of the boot when the car developed an "attitude" and ask whats the problem ?? how can i help ??......come on ladies , lets have some fun with this , been serious long enough. now....Im off to polish me sump. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

oldyouth wrote: »
    I have to say Mrs Oldyouth is the most capable woman I have ever met. She does all the DIY in our house including tiling, electrics, plumbing, painting, decorating and the like. One time, because I knew the local car dealer, we were invited to the launch of a new car model. As part of the craic, they had a car lifted on it's side and there was a competition to swap the front wheel with the back wheel against the clock. Mrs Oldyouth went in to a frenzy and beat all male opposition.
    I've been living with a dominant woman for over 20yrs and recommend it to everyone (If you know what I mean:p)
    seanybiker wrote: »
    my girlfriend can service her car and well basically do anything motor wise with her car and for some weird reason its the biggest (ok not the biggest but a huge) turn on. Cant explain it but when I see her working on the car I normally pick her up and etc.

Do they get a kick from men's expressions when they do this?

My point is, the thread is more about women getting a kick from it, not guys who get a kick from seeing a woman doing it.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Do they get a kick from men's expressions when they do this?

My point is, the thread is more about women getting a kick from it, not guys who get a kick from seeing a woman doing it.

Im just amazed and awestruck at the amount of women directly or by proxy connected to Boards who are so skilled at .....well .....everything, really , no sarcasm or such intended but if someone starts a thread re. building an atomic bomb ..........i shudder to think.....:confused: I feel so small . :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

valery wrote: »
    Im just amazed and awestruck at the amount of women directly or by proxy connected to Boards who are so skilled at .....well .....everything, really , no sarcasm or such intended but if someone starts a thread re. building an atomic bomb ..........i shudder to think.....:confused: I feel so small . :confused:

The level of knowledge on here can be fairly awe-striking, but don't forget that the average boardsie is not an average Irish person. You're looking at people who are probably have broadband, are computer literate enough to sign up here, etc. etc.

In short....don't let it get to you. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I think most boards users are above the average Irish intelligence, most have grown up with gadgetry and whatnot and are a lot more techy savvy then most of Joe Public.
    Not really about what I can do but I remember the look on a mechanics face when (after I brought the car into be repaired from a collision, someone else into me not me into someone else) he huuummmmed and haayyyed for a while before telling me I'd need a new door and a complete new trim for the whole car, I explained how easyily it could be repaired without even removing the door, I got a "Ahhhhhh yeah well I'm shhhuuurreee we could do that too"
    I used to work on the road and changed any tyre I needed to, I think the only time I didn't was when a few builders came over to help as they "Don't want you to ruin your suit, we're filthy anyways"
    Unfortunately there's never usually a man around to shock...:D Although a few weeks ago I spent the day strimming and mowing the jungle of a garden we have, I can't complain though the OH spent the afternoon cooking...:D

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    The level of knowledge on here can be fairly awe-striking, but don't forget that the average boardsie is not an average Irish person. You're looking at people who are probably have broadband, are computer literate enough to sign up here, etc. etc.

In short....don't let it get to you. :)

why thank you Khannie, will try so hard.Hope no one finds out Im an average Irish person though. The above average cops will be out to get me. ha ha Some times you just have to laugh dont ya ??:D

Advertisement