Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Language & Party Politics.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

insulting is not allowed as it breaks forum charters

who was that directed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

they might - they might pick up french also.

That makes no sense to me.
    it means there is lots of irish trafic throughout - so its more than a map thing.

Do you know what a Gaeltacht is supposed to be?
    no, you think it is happening. i dont know where ometh is - but the liklihood of it having no fluent irish speaker is nearly impossible.

I know fluent Irish speakers who live near Omeath. That's not the point. There are no native Irish speakers there, and have not been any for more than 50 years (well apart from Charlie from the Donegal Gaeltacht who went to live there -- but I am concerned here with the passing of a long-established local language tradition from parent to child, which is usually what is meant by native speaking).
    its name is an daingean, take it up with ó cuív or the natives ancestors.

Dingle has been known by that name in English (and in other languages) since the seventeenth century and perhaps earlier. Local Irish speakers generally refer to it as An Daingean when speaking Irish and Dingle when speaking English. To prescribe anything else is silly, like King Canute ordering the tide not to rise. A language belongs to the people, and not to the government. Gaeltacht people don't use a gluaisteán or a rothar; they prefer a carr or a bicycle.

insulting is not allowed as it breaks forum charters

who was that directed at?

It was clearly aimed at the stupid. I, for one, do not feel offended.

might might might is my point (in reference to they might pick up english)

yes - you said there is no or little irish there. it is next to spiddal and a few irish colleges - obviously there is irish spoken there.

no native speakers? why is there two gaelscoils? - mentioned in my earlier posts

it may have been called so - but up till 1922 all place names were officially known by their english, fake, names.

carr is used in irish, for 100's of years - from cart and adapted to mean motorised cart, bad example.
    rothar is also a relatively new concept, so the english loan word is there, and i dont mind it as do others.
    you dont feel offended? good for you - i would still like to know who that was directed at not because i think it was directed at me or that i am stupid - just because

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, this poll is fairly useless ( Boards Politics forum is totally unrepresentitive of general Irish opinion after all) but funny to see that the two biggest homes of Gaelic are the Provos (no surprise...) and Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

fine gael - again - are about as pro irish as the tradional unionist voice and the dup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

to above poster - it is a spoken language here, and in law it is our second language. depending on your outlook, it is not our national language.
    I stand corrected. I am a second-class, English-speaking Irish citizen whose family is not of the pure ancient lineage, dating back to the High Kings, of the elite Irish-speaking caste. My humble and most abject apologies. Thank you for tolerating me and my family here for the past 800 years.

English is merely one of our official languages and Irish is 'The National Language' (that is only routinely spoken by a tiny minority of the population.)

If any party has a policy promoting English to position of equality with Irish, they might get my vote.

no one second you are second class

the numbers of speakers - doesnt affect how irish is the national and ancient language of ireland

fine gael - would be your closest bet as to promoting english to the same as irish.
    that is not needed, it is spoken more and by you which is all you need.
    is your life affected by irish - does it take you milliseconds to deflect your eyes down to the english names on roadsigns

do you cringe when you hear irish and run to your radio and tv to turn them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

what you find useful and others find useful is pretty damn suibiachtúil (subjective)

---
    gaeilge = gaeilge/irish
    ró déanach = too late
    beo = (a)live

Irish in London, how useful can that be? The mind boggles, oh maybe ordering a pint in Kilburn if one could find an Irish speaking barman.:D

again - depends on how you define useful

but hey why would you read my post?

• Advertisement

again - depends on how you define useful

but hey why would you read my post?

Well I proposed a possible use of Irish in London, I would love to read your possible usefulness of Irish in London.

i presume the above poster had some friends or family in london - they didnt speak to themselves in irish.

for them that is a use - for you probaly useless as you can ''just use english (ya taig)''
    bracketed term is not directed at you

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Irish in London, how useful can that be? The mind boggles, oh maybe ordering a pint in Kilburn if one could find an Irish speaking barman.:D

I have used Irish in London (and Paris and Bologna Brussels and Budapest and Bangkok and probably in other places that don't immediately come to mind). It's useful for private conversation if you travel with a fellow Irish speaker.

I was served a pint in Kilburn by a barman from the Kerry Gaeltacht, but spoke English because not everybody in the company could speak Irish.

I have used Irish in London (and Paris and Bologna Brussels and Budapest and Bangkok and probably in other places that don't immediately come to mind). It's useful for private conversation if you travel with a fellow Irish speaker.

I was served a pint in Kilburn by a barman from the Kerry Gaeltacht, but spoke English because not everybody in the company could speak Irish.

Yes the use of Irish is limited to fellow speakers abroad and its use would be purely recreational.

no it would be for communication also

i presume the above poster had some friends or family in london - they didnt speak to themselves in irish.

for them that is a use - for you probaly useless as you can ''just use english (ya taig)''
    bracketed term is not directed at you

Quite. Its tough enough trying to speak English and why confuse myself. I do not feel any less Irish or more for that matter just because I have discarded Irish, just like the Latin that I once learned but each to his/her own.

that is good, use whatever you can or want.

like me and others using irish.

do you cringe when you hear irish and run to your radio and tv to turn them off?
    I cringe when I see the excessive and unnecessary spending authorised by the 'Official Languages Act'.

For how long must a language be spoken in Ireland by the majority of the population before it can enjoy the status of 'National Language'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭SeanW

That's great - if you like using the Irish language, have fun. I'm happy for you. I have a problem when you impose that on other people (tax payers who must foot the bill for this "official language" (like translating documents that noone reads)) and school children who hate it, and force them to learn it even though for 95% of them it will be totally useless and they would have been enriched and enlightened way more by learning something else.

well there is only one language that has been spoken in ireland for at least 1700 years
    Gaeilge

i and others read them - i dislike motorways, i do not drive.... should i feel angry about paying for them? no of course not

like the 95% (random figure you used) that used their french or german? maths?

• Advertisement

well there is only one language that has been spoken in ireland for at least 1700 years - Gaeilge
    So the length of time it has been spoken, even if only by a fraction of the population, is more important than how many speak it now in their daily lives?

Why is it so important to Irish speakers to be the only 'National Language', are they not ready to give parity of esteem to their English-speaking fellow-citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

So the length of time it has been spoken, even if only by a fraction of the population, is more important than how many speak it now in their daily lives?

Why is it so important to Irish speakers to be the only 'National Language', are they not ready to give parity of esteem to their English-speaking fellow-citizens?

If English speakers would only give parity to Irish we might have some chance of using the language outside of Holidays in the west. There should be a Gaelteacht set up in every city in Ireland in my opinion. Doesnt have to cost millions just an area where people can meet and speak there native language.

no - historicaly it is our native language - it just happens to be old and our oldest language on this island.

it is a fact, you may not feel it is your national language and you dont have to.
    i speak english everyday - so hey i and others have no problem with english

bi-lingualism - it doesnt kill.

Deedsie wrote: »
    If English speakers would only give parity to Irish we might have some chance of using the language outside of Holidays in the west. There should be a Gaelteacht set up in every city in Ireland in my opinion. Doesnt have to cost millions just an area where people can meet and speak there native language.

there are small groups in pretty much all towns, and if not a cheap and quick busride away

but as we are forced into these small clubs and groups we are blighted with the term ''exclusive'' etc etc
    ironic huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yaboyabobo

My comment last evening was directed at narrow minded people who would like everybody to be of like mind as themselves.It definitely does not apply to Con or P.

We're getting there.Recorded messages in state buildings will be in Gaeilge and english in the very near future.So there.

any chance at stating who it was aimed at - not too bothered if ya dont but..

Read it this morning on Midwestradio website where a Sligo td is claiming credit.Minister Manseragh states "in future,lifts and telephone systems in public buildings will use locally recorded bi-lingual messages.I'm not a fanatic and I was compelled to learn Gaeilge at school but I do feel strongly our native teanga should not die.As somebody remarked,I don't get many opportunities to speak it here in London but my name badge has my name in Gaeilge and a few people say "gura maith agat".As Tesco say,every little helps.

yaboyabobo wrote: »
    We're getting there.Recorded messages in state buildings will be in Gaeilge and english in the very near future.So there.

What a break through.
    My comment last evening was directed at narrow minded people who would like everybody to be of like mind as themselves.It definitely does not apply to Con or P.

Who might they be now, those of us that oppose compulsory Irish? The Irish speaking lobby are just as narrow minded if you wish to apply labels.

An example of a waste of money on RTE, the news in English followed immediately by an Nuacht. What a waste of licence fee money when the news can be had in Irish on TG4 all the time.

• Advertisement

and english news can be found on bbc, itv or skynews.......... never mind radio etc etc

Advertisement