Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Language & Party Politics.

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

and english news can be found on bbc, itv or skynews.......... never mind radio etc etc
    English-language news about Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

some - okay try the radio or newspapers

anyway the point is - people speak irish - it has a right to have the news in irish - whether you like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

and english news can be found on bbc, itv or skynews.......... never mind radio etc etc

Which means what exactly? Its not as if they give the news in Welsh straight after the main news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

is that a welsh station? no

rté is an irish station - with an irish name - serving all of the irish population

all includes those who speak, read, listen and write irish

• Advertisement

is polish a national language of ireland? no

they have several written media and other services provided - not state funded tho as where would we stop in funding various languages?

some - okay try the radio or newspapers

anyway the point is - people speak irish - it has a right to have the news in irish - whether you like it or not

That is just it whether we like it or not, when in reality as I have pointed out there exists a dedicated Irish language channel TG4.

yes there is tg4 as there is also rté2 - what is your point?

bring that up with your local td.......... donegalfella

have you figures to back up that claim btw?

yes there is tg4 as there is also rté2 - what is your point?

My point is that the news in Irish on RTE is wasting money when it can be had on TG4 and its waste of resources. In years gone by when there was no TG4 then yes but not now.

• Advertisement

it is not a waste of money - you view it as a waste of money

there is news on tg4 - there is also news as gaeilge on rté

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In principle yes - But we're not expected to cater for every immigrant language that comes to Ireland. Polish people come to Ireland, and many with intent to learn English. There are already numerous translation services available for Polish people - But I'm not going to go to Germany, without being able to speak German.

What you seem to forget is that we firmly believe that there is an onus on us to protect the Irish language, which is upheld by our constitution. You're more than eager to cater for the Polish speaking population (which I have no problem with inherently), but seem paradoxically completely against the Irish speaking population.

Also, your claim of Polish speaking population is probably exagerated going by the 2006 census: http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/PDR%202006%20Tables%2019-30.pdf which had around 60K Polish residents.

The same census had the Gaeltacht population at 90k, and that's not including Irish speakers who live outside the Gaeltacht.

i have read reg hindleys book and earlier books

books and other reports have states claims like that book for years - yet it is still here and growing in some respcects

that was printed in 1990? 19 years later its claims can be seen as false

are you the gaeltacht boundry commissioner?

well it is lucky you arent in control of what gets funded - and this hasnt nothing to do with nationalism and your 19th century comment stinks

and it is generaly accepted that irish has grown outside the gaeltacht, and it isnt the sole life of the language anymore

but reading hindley would give that outdates view i suppose

irish - the rumours of its death, vastly exagerated for the past 1000 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Au contraire, the vast majority of the Irish people today would NOT seem to agree. The vast majority of the Irish people are happy to see support for the language.

I disagree. Many countries are bilingual, and some in the case of Switzerland have 4 official languages. There is no reason why Ireland can't have an Irish/English society, like Wales.

It's a moot point. You completely disregarded the Irish speakers outside of the Gaeltachtaí, which of are many. The Irish speaking population in Ireland is alive and well, and increasing in numbers outside the Gaeltacht. I personally don't feel that the onus is on the Gaeltacht to preserve the language, but is on the entire country.

this is 2009, yes i know all to well of conradh na gaeilge

yes - that half the pop was mostly monolinggual
    yes it halfed after the famine
    yes it declined till 1890's
    and has risen since........

those 3% deserve no representation? the 2 million (?) who have knowledge of it?

• Advertisement

this is 2009, yes i know all to well of conradh na gaeilge

yes - that half the pop was mostly monolinggual
    yes it halfed after the famine
    yes it declined till 1890's
    and has risen since........

those 3% deserve no representation? the 2 million (?) who have knowledge of it?

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Government_Press_Office/Government_Press_Releases_2008/Government_Press_Releases_2006/Government_Statement_on_the_Irish_Language.html

people do use the irish language

the amount attending gaelscoileanna, setting up ciorcal comhrás, club conradh and club sult in dublin
    etc etc
    the vast use of irish on the internet - it isnt all coming from the gaeltacht
    irish language bookshop in bray
    active irish clubs in tcd, ucd and irish schemes and speakers there
    dit apartment scheme for irish speakers
    etc etc etc

according to them - and the ''small'' amount and range of them

this is not including the gaeltacht in canada
    the number of irish speakers and learners worldwide
    several universities teaching it - ie outside the gaeltacht
    several clubs, teaching and websites in america in particular
    etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's an old trick to represent something in the most unflattering terms and then use that as a basis for saying that we should not maintain it. My wish for the survival of the language has nothing whatsoever with "the isolationist dictates of nineteenth-century cultural nationalism"; it is rooted in my sense of my identity as an Irish person in a world with many different cultural strands. I think it appropriate that the state support (with words and money) a number of cultural institutions that form part of our identity.

That said, I accept that much of what has been done in the name of maintaining the language has been ineffective, too expensive, and often plainly silly. We are in baby-and-bathwater territory here.
    In practice, I think we should have one official language in this country, and that it should be English. I don't believe that any group of minority-language speakers should have their linguistic preferences supported by the state.

Many states (the USA, for example) do not have any official language. I don't see why there needs to be a particular quota.
    It's generally accepted that if the boundaries of the Gaeltacht were reassessed today, it would become minuscule.

Agreed. They were questionable even when they were first drawn.
    Most people who live in the so-called "Gaeltacht" now speak English.

There are many (perhaps 30-40,000) whose first language is Irish. Just about all of them, some young children excepted, also speak English. But I do not see why they should be denied the opportunity to deal with the state and its agents in their first language when that first language is a native language of this land.

I accept the suggestion that TG4 and RnaG go a long way to meeting the needs of Irish speakers. The case for programming in Irish on other channels is accordingly weakened, but I would be saddened to see the public use of Irish wholly confined to two broadcasting organisations and road signs in the Gaeltacht. Some official support for the use of Irish seems to me to be a good thing, but measures like the Official Languages Act seem to be excessive, costly, and provocative.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

dlofnep wrote: »
    Au contraire, the vast majority of the Irish people today would NOT seem to agree. The vast majority of the Irish people are happy to see support for the language.

Vast majority = boards.ie poll, right?
    The Irish speaking population in Ireland is alive and well, and increasing in numbers outside the Gaeltacht.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

i seperated the 3% and the 2million

the 2million is those who have knowledge of irish

• Advertisement

if you know how to say that - you can also say a lot more

you will be suprised how much you remember - a week to brush up and learn a few new words for your vocab and you will be flying

Advertisement