Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

depressed cat

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

our usually very lively cat seems to be depressed.our other cat died about 6 weeks ago and i'm wondering should i get a new cat as a companion for him?any suggestions would be really welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What age is your remaining cat? Introducing a new cat could make things worse rather than better. You're best to go for a kitten for a new introduction, but read up on how to plan an introduction or you could upset your cat even more. (The most important thing is your cat must ALWAYS be top cat - never admonish your cat for hissing or swatting at the new kitten - this is natural behaviour, not 'nastiness', and your cat will be very confused if you disturb the normal order of things by interfering with the pecking order process.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had same problem last summer, 2 cats(brothers) one died. Other was miserable for weeks.
    As we had just got a pup the week cat died, I waited 3 months before getting another cat as I thought it would be too much change for him. He was 7 and very easy going if a little nervous. We got and adult cat who had been living with cats and dogs and was also very friendly and easy going. They get on well now, took about 2 months, still not the same relationship as with his brother but good.
    It all depends on your cat, age personality and any other pets. I wouldn't rush it, let him settle and perk up a bit or it could make him worse.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement