Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to declare off the road

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Just a quick one.. Car insurance is a little too high + facing temporary unemployment coming up to renewal date.
    How do I tell Mr. Tax man that I'm taking the car off the road? I'm just going to leave her outside for a bit and do that strange thing: walking/ public transport *Shudders*
    Anyways I know this thread will be short lived with some useful replies so thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

congo_90 wrote: »
    How do I tell Mr. Tax man that I'm taking the car off the road?

You don't have to tell him anything :)

Keep the car off the public road once the tax has expired. You may or you may not get a notice in the post after a few months to declare the car off the road. If you get it, just fill it in and send it back. Once you decide you want to use the car again, you only have to fill in a form declaring it off the road until that day (sign it witnessed by a Garda) and start paying tax again from that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

But would it not be back dated from time of expirey to notice?
    I remember when I bought it, it was 2 months out of date and they wanted to come crush my car unless I wrote them a nice letter explaining why I hadn't paid.
    Anyways as long as I'm not gonna have an issue with them for now then it's all good. Tax is out next month and I just want everything sorted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats why you complete the off road section and get it signed by a garda.
    They cannot come out and crush your car just like that BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats why you complete the off road section and get it signed by a garda.
    They cannot come out and crush your car just like that BTW!

lol I know that now but at the time of getting the letter I was heading out the door on a 2 week holiday!
    annyways Cheers for the replies Kbannon.. Perhaps sticky worthy? :cool:

Advertisement