Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for true foodie/chef

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Anyone have an idea of a gift for someone seriously into food ? i'm wondering voucher for michelin star restaurant....which one? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

That's always a good idea. Someone gave us a voucher for Chapter One for our wedding, and it was one of the best presents we got. And if you have the voucher - you can go the whole hog and splash out on the tasting menu. With the suggested wines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

how much you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,467 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Watch out for the vouchers for the michelin star place, I know of a couple who got a €500 wedding present voucher for mint, turned up to have their meal and lo and behold........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I would.....

go for something they can use time and again knives's a really good skillet tho id be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i want some lovely copper pots, do i have to get married to get them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Sweeney O'Rourke vouchers do it for me everytime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH, knives are a personal thing. You'd want to hold them in your hand before purchasing. And if they are a foodie/chef, they probably have them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

....and isn't there an old superstition about giving blades as gifts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

What about afternoon team somewhere? I see at the Merrion, its only E35 per head ,- does anyone know where is the best or is voucher for restaurant better and better value? Can't decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

I'd say a serious "foodie" would appreciate a bottle of traditional balsamic vinegar.

http://www.amazon.com/Acetaia-Leonardi-Tradizionale-Traditional-Balsamic-Vinegar/dp/B000BGT7O8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Myself, I'd be over the moon iof I was given voucher for a catering equiptment suppliers... but thats me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

duploelabs wrote: »
    Watch out for the vouchers for the michelin star place, I know of a couple who got a €500 wedding present voucher for mint, turned up to have their meal and lo and behold........

...lo and behold what? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...lo and behold what? What am I missing?

There ain't no Mint anymore. It was one of the first high-profile restaurants to fall victim to the recession. [People in Oz are clearly not paying full attention to the important things.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oh I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

(Local knowledge unavailable to me :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

I to would be wary of the voucher thing, you just never know what might happen. buy it on your credit card if you decide to do it.

How about a signed cook book from one of their favourite chefs? You can often get these from their websites, or email and they usually oblige. I have been successful when emailing and requesting a signed book. Went down very well with my partner to, big jamie fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

How about an aged bottle of Balsamic Vinegar min age 25 years

Or a Sheridans Cheese hamper, located Dublin Galway Waterford and some Farmer Markets.
    http://www.sheridanscheesemongers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Make a hamper. Go around all your favourite dellis and pick up bits and pieces and fill a basket. It's a huge amount of fun picking out stuff too. Put in everything that you always look at and go "Ooooh that would be nice" but you never actually buy it.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Weekend City Break to Barcelona and a trip to La Boqueria Food Market.... probably the best food market in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I agree with the hamper idea, always good. If they like Italian food, try Olio e Farina. There's shops in Galway, Limerick, Drogheda, afaik - or you can order stuff online http://www.olioefarina.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd be wary of the hamper idea.
    What might seem wonderful to you may not be their idea of culinary perfection.
    I'd hate to get a hamper that somebody spent good money of full of pickles, chutneys, sauces and spices that I'd never use!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Minder wrote: »
    ....and isn't there an old superstition about giving blades as gifts?
    Yes, it is bad luck to give a knife as a present which is why you would give the recipient a penny and they would give you the penny to "buy" the knife from you.

Advertisement