Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV - Switching from Ryu to Ken - How to adjust?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bush wrote: »
    What do ya think of the new tier list that just came out? Looks about right to me.

S Rank: Sagat
    A Rank: Ryu, Akuma, Zangief
    B Rank: M.Bison, Rufus, Balrog, C.Viper, E.Honda
    C Rank: Abel, El Fuerte, Dhalsim, Chun-li, Ken, Blanka
    D Rank: Guile, Vega

So you would class Sim in the same category as Ken and Elf? Really? I mean really, really? :eek:

There are some very good Sim players out there. Iyo, Tateyama, Mochi, Arturo sanchez....and these are just guys off the top of my head. Yes, sim has limits and deficiencies.....you can't afford to make a big mistake or you will lose the round. Most guys like sagat or ryu or zangief can mess up several times and still win the round and sim cannot.

But when you see guys like Iyo play him to his potential and you see how easy they make it look, it makes sense.

Sticking honda above him is a bit naff. Yes, he does alot of damage but I find honda a bit one dimensional. Same level perhaps, but not above. Its also worth noting that Dhalsim is one of the few match ups that are about 5-5 with Sagat....so that should surely help his ranking.

This sort of stuff is usually subjective however and its nice to see other peoples views. I would put Ryu up there with Sagat in the top tier. He is so good its scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Kirby wrote: »
    So you would class Sim in the same category as Ken and Elf? Really? I mean really, really? :eek:

It's not what bush thinks, it's the Japanese arcade data tiers.

Also imo the RSF loop is enough to get Fuerte out of the D rank.

edit: Oh forgot bush said "looks about right" as well. My bad. I'd probably put Sim around there on the list though, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's not what bush thinks, it's the Japanese arcade data tiers.

Also imo the RSF loop is enough to get Fuerte out of the D rank.

edit: Oh forgot bush said "looks about right" as well. My bad. I'd probably put Sim around there on the list though, yeah.

Ye I didnt come up with this list, lol. Its the new arcadia list. I do agree dhalsim should be higher, I said that above.

I meant "you" as in the general community. Not as in YOU mr bush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Akuma way up there? Ah come on. Those 750 health points are a huge hinderance. I don't really get how he's ranked way up there. His ultra/super is near impossible to land unless a special setup is made but even then, its obvious that the other player is trying to set it up.
    I mean, fair enough, he has some nasty combos (i.e.: cr.jabx2, cr. mp, l.tatsu, h.shoryuken (3-hit), FADC then Shanketsu) which I think does around 380 pts. damage but its no good having some nasty combos if you're not willing to accept the risk of a counter.

Surely Akuma should be a couple ranks below that. I think Chun Li should be moved up a rank though because she does have the sbf kick which just requires some timing and it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Akuma way up there? Ah come on.

I'd be in agreement with that tier list :D

Like Azza said, he doesn't really have any bad match ups. There are also at least 4 or 5 different ways per character to guarantee an Ultra will land. Also, his super, especially his Super Kara Demon (made really easy with the lax controls in SFIV) has the same priority as a throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Leprekaun wrote: »
    His ultra/super is near impossible to land unless a special setup is made but even then, its obvious that the other player is trying to set it up.
    There's a lot of situations where you can use raging demon on reaction to punish without special setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Top: Sagat, Ryu,
    High: Zangief, Rufus, C.Viper,
    Mid: M.Bison, Balrog, Abel, Akuma, Dhalsim, Chun-li, Blanka, Ken,
    Low: El Fuerte, E.Honda,
    Bottom: Guile, Vega

That's how i see it. though Bison Balrog Abel Akuma and Dhalsim might be mid-high with Chun li Blanka and ken as mid.

ryu is like playing easy mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    There's a lot of situations where you can use raging demon on reaction to punish without special setup.

Also, I think I mentioned this to you at the last meet, but you don't even have to input: lp,lp,(f or b),lk,hp for the demon, pressing: f,PPP,PPP,df or db,~lk+PPP works as well and gets it out a lot faster, it also karas the demon and masks your lp's which are a dead give away that an Akuma is buffering for an Ultra or Super.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I just don't rate C.Viper at all. Reckon Abel is much scarier than she is.

I rate Rufus and Balrog right after the top 3. One of the more recent Japanese tier listing had Boxer second after Sagat. Then clumped together Bison, Akuma, Chun-Li, Blanka.

• Advertisement

I just can't see a Chun Li player ever winning a tournament. I mean, Im usually irritated by chun li players when i fight them......but ultimately I always win. I just dont think she offers enough to be anywhere near most of the others. You watch some good viper players play and you get it instantly. Overheads, mix-ups, lethal combo's, quick punishes etc. You can see why she is dangerous.

Kirby wrote: »
    I just can't see a Chun Li player ever winning a tournament.

I may end up eating my words on this one. Been doing alot of video watching yesterday and today and that Nemo fellow plays a mean Chun Li. I could see him winning a tourney with her. Time will tell.

Advertisement