Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Very confused...seriously running out of time!

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Ok guys, Ive just finished 1st yr civil engineering and after a rough year with illness I failed most exams. However I am going to study hard ofr the repeats in August so hopflly I will pass. But I will have to have a plan B becuase I can't see myself repeating first year as I am already 21 due to taking a year out after repeating the leaving. My options are:

a)Primary Teaching in Pats
    b)Accounting in WIT

I was always strong at maths/science /accounting in school but ue to a medical condition I have to think about my health as stress has a severe negative effect on my condition. I have until wendesday to change my CAO application around but I have been thinking about this choice for months and am no closer to a solution. I know that its up to me at the end of the day but has anyone else been so indecisive about what to study and how did you decide at the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have a read of the Teaching/Lecturing forum to get a feel for the state of play of teaching jobs in Ireland - it ain't pretty.

Personally, I think there will always be need for accountants and money minders, no matter how bad the economy is. Then again, there will always be need for teachers too, I suppose.

Anyway, it's not unusual to be in your situation, the main thing is don't panic and don't get yourself into a knot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Hi I hope Im not too late to throw in my two cents worth. First thing Id say is its great to have options and secondly I think you can buy yourself more time to make this decision. Why not put something on the Ordinary degree side thats accounting orientated and put primary on the other and wait until august to finally decide.

Like you're talking a fair diverse range from civil engineering to primary teaching to accounting- id even say some quality career guidance in the meantime would be wise.

Professional accontancy is going to be long road beyond your degree with a lot of tough qualifying exams and extra courses. Can you see yourself sitting at a calculator all day surrounded by irate people and their receipts?

Primary teaching- do you actually like kids and have a high level of patience and tolerance for them?

Have you considered mixing both ideas and teaching accounting/business? Ok so the job situation is tough but its usually a case of a few years taking what you can get and keeping plugging at it.

Id say for now spread your cao options and keep the door open.

Also there is the valid point that you can do one and if it goes tits up, then do the postgrad conversion to the other!

Advertisement