Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats ok to sow now (veges)

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

Folks im in the process of puting a vege garden together (makeing the beds and drills and such)and i was just wondering what would be safe and ok to plant at the minute as regards lettuce,carrots scalions and such,i know its to late for potatoes,,any advice please.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Well Letttuce and scalions are fine and can be planted all through the summer, maybe getting on for carrots but if you get a late variety and get them in right away you may be ok.
    Beetroot would also be fine, get some baby beets and let some grow bigger.
    Leeks, cabbage, colliflower would also work if you buy them as small plants, that way you are saving about a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

thetyreman wrote: »
    Folks im in the process of puting a vege garden together (makeing the beds and drills and such)and i was just wondering what would be safe and ok to plant at the minute as regards lettuce,carrots scalions and such,i know its to late for potatoes,,any advice please.....

It's not actually too late for spuds, IF, you can get your hands on a few seed spuds. Plant in the next couple of weeks, keep a sharp watch on blight and spray regularly. You will have new spuds for christmas day:)

Carotts. No problem. Use autumn king variety.
    Leeks, if you have plants to transplant.
    Stick in a few spring cabbage seeds, you will have plants to transplant in Sept / Oct.
    Turnips (swedes). Plant seeds now!
    Late to plant seeds, but if you can get plants of brocolli or cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, go for them. :cool:

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden_month/garden-june.php

This is a good site. On the bottom of the page you can select the month and it gives lots of good info. Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

on thursday broccili kale and turnip, ( my workman is ariveing)

Advertisement