Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doddher Trout Advice?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking of fishing for trout in the dodder river near Milltown. Will trout take sweetcorn? If i use a float with sweetcorn what depth should I have sweetcorn at? About 1 foot under the top of water is that about right??

Thanks for advice

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You will catch more if you fly fish, or use a bait like small worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for reply.

What depth should i have the worms at should it be near the top of the water or at the bottom.

Drifting gently along, tumbling along at water speed, making contact with the bottom every so often.
    It's done with a small float set overdepth and cast across, upstream or downstream. Alternatively freelined with just a micro lead shot for weight.

So worms should be down about 3 or 4 feet below surface of water?

Thanks for your reply

Toss a real one in and watch it as it passes downriver. Yours should behave exactly like that.

To be realistic though and not lead you on, at this time of year and in clear water conditions, I would expect to catch ten or more trout on fly for every one on worm.

River brown trout are mainly insectivores that opportunistically feed on worms, that opportunity would normally arise during a flood. In low clear water summer worming is a very skilful art, not an easy method.

On the other hand, when it rains and the river colours and swells, worming will be the successful method, and fly fishing more difficult.

• Advertisement

Thanks thats good advice.

One last thing is sweetcorn any good

Trout eat it, like dough and cheese, but I'd never in a million years use it for them. There are better ways.

It's a very good bait for carp, tench and bream.

Advertisement