Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what is the best irish uni for medicine?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Have to have my cao filled out by wed and am just wondering where to put first.
    Obviously trinity has the highest points but does that make it the best?

Please reply!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

All the same TBH. It's how soon you get your post grads that count most.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Have to have my cao filled out by wed and am just wondering where to put first.
    Obviously trinity has the highest points but does that make it the best?

Please reply!

The college you get your medical degree from in Ireland is largely irrelevant

The choice is either a personal one/social one / financial one or access one ie

Do I want to go to College X OR

All My fiends are going to college Y to do ther degrees if I go there at leats we can hang out OR

My parents cant afford to subsidise my accommodation, there are no part time jobs available so I choose college Z because it is closest to home and easiest to access

That is your choice other than that you may get responses from people who have strong feelings that X is better than Y for personal or social reasons. They were that individuals reasons and may not be valid for you

Look at where you live, look at what you and your parents can afford, will you live at home all the way through college (and there are big advantages as well as disadvantages to this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Well, I'm going to have to move from home wherever I go.

Well, I'm going to have to move from home wherever I go.

Ok thats one consideration out of the way do you want to live on campus or off- only some colleges offer that option

Living in donegal wouldnt make a lot of sense going to college in Cork if you plan to go home at weekends

logistics is important

The number of points for a course is no reflection of how good or bad the University is, there are less places in trinity than in UCD or UCC, points will thus be higher

where are your friends going to college most likely, do you want to live with them and have the college experiences or do you want to make new friends when you get to college, again advantages to both

The choices are endless and so is the reasoning

Ultimately 6 years down the line it wont matter where you went as long as you graduate with the medical degree you wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I'm guessing you're an international student? You may prefer it in RCSI as a large number of their students are international.

If you prefer a big city RCSI, UCD and Trinity are in Dublin. UCC is in Cork which is fairly large (well for Ireland) but not as big as Dublin and I think Galway, though a city, is relatively quite small compared to Dublin. Dublin may also be easier for you for flying home...you should check flight routes and prices if this is gonna be an issue for you.

RCSI accommodation is very expensive, most expensive of all campuses I think. Don't know about the others. Accommodation will probably be cheaper in Galway and Cork.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you're an international student?
    Nope, I'm from waterford! So i'm half way between dublin and cork. Galway would be my last option because of the distance involved in getting there.

My friends are going all over the place, so we are going to be separated anyway.

i heard on another site on the internet that teaching in trinity is not so good?

Just wondering, also, if I went to cork if I would have difficulty getting work in a dublin hospital later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The medical school you go to in Ireland is pretty irrelevant. I would personally pick one of the Dublin ones because you get to live in a big city, and I'm guessing there might be more pathology on display in the clinical years.

But the choice is very unlikely to ever impact on your career...only on the amount of boggers you meet :P

Nope, I'm from waterford! So i'm half way between dublin and cork. Galway would be my last option because of the distance involved in getting there.

My friends are going all over the place, so we are going to be separated anyway.

i heard on another site on the internet that teaching in trinity is not so good?

Just wondering, also, if I went to cork if I would have difficulty getting work in a dublin hospital later on.

Shouldnt be any problem with getting work in dublin afterwards we all move regularly

Regarding Trinity and teaching I wouldnt believe everything you read on the internet.... Oh but you should believe what you read here ..(Irony)

tallaght01 wrote: »

But the choice is very unlikely to ever impact on your career...only on the amount of boggers you meet :P

Harsh coming from a fella who is gone on the convict boat

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I went to college in Cork and then moved to Dublin for postgraduate training.

All the medical schools in Ireland offer boradly similar and very good courses.

Personally I loved my time in Cork. It was close to home; the class size was small and as a group we became very good friends and I loved the fact that until the clinical years we were based on a large, diverse campus with thousands of students from all walks of life studying very different courses.

Another advantage Cork has over Dublin is that the cost of living is much cheaper than in Dublin. It's a great place to be a student in and it really does feel like a "University City" from September through May.

If you work hard and do well in Cork you "make a name for yourself" as it is that bit more personal than Dublin. The bosses there will do everything they can to help you after you graduate whether you want to work in Waterford, Dublin or Boston.

On the negative side, Cork is a lot smaller than Dublin and the arts and entertainment scene can feel a bit limited. But to fully enjoy that aspect of Dublin you really need a decent wage anyway! I'm trying to think of more downsides but I really can't.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies so far. I still don't know what to do! Am torn between ucc and trinity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Nope, I'm from waterford!

Argh sorry I'm getting dates mixed up, thought change of mind had passed, feel like a right tit sorry :o

Argh sorry I'm getting dates mixed up, thought change of mind had passed, feel like a right tit sorry :o

Ah, no worries! Sure, I said I had to move from home so, I could have been an international student! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

drzhivago wrote: »
    All My fiends are going to college Y to do ther degrees if I go there at leats we can hang out

Surely one ought to try and avoid fiends! :p

Advertisement