Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Moths

• 29-06-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I wonder could any one give me advice? I recently bought a new apartment and I have moths destroying my clothes. They are eating all my cotton clothes, t-shirts etc. I have searched everywhere and cannot find the moths anywhere which is extremely frustrating. I have noticed moth holes in any clothes I leave out to dry on a cloths horse. I have pulled up the carpets to find them but no sign of them. A year ago I noticed a giant black dusty moth in a bedroom and I immediately got rid of it, unfortunately it must have left some moth eggs. I have noticed slime on some of the cloths where the moths have eaten holes. I have moth balls everywhere but they dont seem to be doing anything. I have got a very expensive quote for professional extermination but I was hoping would anyone have any cheaper solutions? I would be happy if I could even find the source but I have literally looked in every part of the bedrooms. I have noticed my carpets wearing at the sides along the wall and wonder could they be eating this too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Animals&Pets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Seek advice from a professional OP! It's expensive but worth it in the long-term.

I remember watching QI and Stephen Fry said that once you see a moth, it's too late. The damage is don when they are larvae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Clothes moths are actually quite small things, so it's unlikely the big one you saw was the culprit. I know someone whose entire collection of expensive Steiff teddy bears was destroyed by these things, and the only way for her to get rid of them properly was to get it done professionally. The moths themselves are quite small and easily overlooked, and you'll never find the eggs by yourself as they're even smaller.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_Moth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublingirl09

I was hoping I could find a cheaper solution on the internet, I read about these gadgets called moth traps which attract the moths and catch them. Has anyone ever heard of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maribel

[FONT=&quot]I recently moved a beautiful apartment but infested in clothes moths, I have been fighting with them for over 2 months and I'm winning the battle. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]First of all, I cleaned and disinfected everything and keep it like this, once or twice per week. If you don't clean extremely well, they will never die.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]I vacuum almost every day, this is your best friend to keep rid of these insects.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]I bought RAID moths killer in spray and sachets (but in Poland, I haven't found this here) which are very helpful.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]If I see any moth I kill it immediately.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]I bought room perfume diffuser citric scented, they hate the smell. Also lavender is another good one.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is very important to clean small and hidden places, where you could think they could be leaving eggs e.g. I found lots of eggs inside the sofa. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]About moths killers I would like to know if they sell somewhere in Ireland or you have to buy them from internet.[/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublingirl09

Recently I seeked professinal help to exterminate the moths but as there was no evidence or sightings of the larvae or months they advised me not to go ahead with any treatments. The professinal checked under the carpets and other areas where they could be hiding. Its a mystery...The only evidence I have is the holes in all the cotton fabrics.:confused:

Advertisement