Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Wouldn't Accept Valid Cheque

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco this evening and got €100 odd worth of groceries - I've been shopping there for years and it's in a small town. The odd time I pay by cheque and never had any issues. When I got to the checkout the girl took the cheque as normal and went to get a manager to sign it - he the came over to me (obviously some gobsh1te trainee) and said he woudn't accept it because the number of the cheque guarantee card wasn't printed on the cheque!
    For as long as I've been using cheques that has never once come up and I've never seen the card number printed on the cheque. I got a new book yesterday and it's not on that either (PTSB btw). It was too late to ring the bank so I couldn't get them to confirm it and tell him what a nonce he was being.
    Does anyone else with another bank have this number printed on their cheques?
    I've been with three different banks over the years and never seen it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭JimmyFloyd

People still use cheques?

Were you buying a Betamax player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

JimmyFloyd wrote: »

Were you buying a Betamax player?

Hiiyyoooo!

whats wrong with a oul laser card?

Serioius response: I dont think theres a legal responsibility to accept cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

eamon234 wrote: »
    Was in Tesco this evening and got €100 odd worth of groceries - I've been shopping there for years and it's in a small town. The odd time I pay by cheque and never had any issues. When I got to the checkout the girl took the cheque as normal and went to get a manager to sign it - he the came over to me (obviously some gobsh1te trainee) and said he woudn't accept it because the number of the cheque guarantee card wasn't printed on the cheque!
    For as long as I've been using cheques that has never once come up and I've never seen the card number printed on the cheque. I got a new book yesterday and it's not on that either (PTSB btw). It was too late to ring the bank so I couldn't get them to confirm it and tell him what a nonce he was being.
    Does anyone else with another bank have this number printed on their cheques?
    I've been with three different banks over the years and never seen it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tesco wouldn't accept my pound notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭JimmyFloyd

Tesco wouldn't accept my pound notes

Was your cheque guarentee card number on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

judas101 wrote: »
    Hiiyyoooo!

whats wrong with a oul laser card?

Serioius response: I dont think theres a legal responsibility to accept cheques.

I'm not talking about legal responsibilities read the post - he's saying the cheque card number should be printed on the cheque and it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

eamon234 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about legal responsibilities read the post - he's saying the cheque card number should be printed on the cheque and it's not.

It never is on the cheques. The guarantee card is supposed to be written on the back of the cheque by the drawer. That way the bank promises to guarantee all cheques up to the value of €100. If you don't have that guarantee, as far as Tesco are concerned, the cheque could bounce and they could be left high and dry. Time to get with the times and pay using laser or credit card. Cheques are being phased out. The government and the banks both want them out of the system.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lets try and keep the replies helpful guys.

I work in a bank and have never seen this on any cheques we issue. TBH it'd be a logistical nightmare because then if you were to lose your ATM/Cheque card, and a new one was issued, the number would be different. Any time I've used a cheque to pay for goods (once or twice for takeaway when I've had no cash), they've written the cheque guarantee card number on the back of the cheque. If it happens again, ask to speak to a different manager and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Cheques only ever have sort code, account number, cheque number and processing code printed on bottom. Nothing else

The cheque and laser card are old, before even laser was accepted in stores. Cheque gaurantee card (laser card) number should be hand written on back of cheque and asked for by staff.Cheque is must more expensive than using laser - please check in branch for correct prices. At a guess, approx 20c per cheque issued plus government charges of 4c per cheque. Laser is less 4c per transaction

The guy in Tesco's was inexperienced and not in banking - bless
    Next time get the cashier to go to authority who knows what they are doing
    Laser is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Shop in Dunnes?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I still use cheques - dead handy for business that don't have machines.

My cheques don't have the guarantee card number on them and it was always my belief (beliefs can be wrong..) that the cheque payee had to inscribe the card number of the cheque himself to prove that he had inspected the gurantee card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

people still use cheques for shopping. Wonder how may peeps still do the acronbatics of balancing there accounts, by virtue of the cheque taking a few days to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

cheque quarantee is to the value of €130 euro, it was £100 and when we changed to euro this was €127 which was rounded up!

I use cheques for my business account, laser on personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

people still use cheques for shopping. Wonder how may peeps still do the acronbatics of balancing there accounts, by virtue of the cheque taking a few days to clear.

In my experience laser transactions can take awhile to post too!!
    I find cheques handy for paying some services, although more and more I do this online if not through DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As mentioned the chq gar card is 130euro. Its up to the shop to take note of the Card Number. Shops can refuse a chq when there is no card or the amount is above 130, but you then may write 2 chqs etc.

The bank must honour all chq's presented to them in this way. Chq are an out of date format for buying things so no doubt there are many shop assistents that have not come across this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are an increasing number of shops refusing cheques completely thesedays.

You should just get your Cheque Guarantee card update to a combined Cheque Guarantee and Laser/Maestro card.

That way you can save your cheque book for those things you can't pay by Laser.

Also, it sounds like the clerk / manager in question was reading from a manual. i.e. something said 'the cheque must have the cheque guarantee card number printed on the back' and did not explain that by that it means, that you must print it on by writing it across the back.

I think it's quite likely that Tesco don't see very many cheques anymore. Laser cards have taken over almost completely in instances like that.

Advertisement