Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie C&C Landscapes

• 29-06-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Totally new to all this, got my first slr 3 weeks ago so looking for some tips and hints! I know the brighter one has a few rain spots on the lens from yesterday, took the boats one this evening, I know they are amateurish but love some tips on glaring obvious wrong doings. Criticisms and comments please!
    83910.jpg

83911.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The first one is beautiful. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They're both pretty good photos for a beginner!

The first one turned out quite well without any editing, here's what I did to the second with 5 minutes in photoshop (induced editing by 4 litres of coke)

review1.jpg

far from perfect but just a quick mess...

I think you're doing just fine considering it's only been 3 weeks! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I like the 1st, it stands out as a nice photo, but......the color seems odd (to me anyway!).
    The 2nd is interesting, its a long exposure, (isn't it?) but with a little practice, I can see you improving greatly! ie. you seem to have a 'eye' for a photo. Challengemaster has processed the sh1t out of it, but maybe thats not your thing ! :pac: (but if it is, then he has done a good job).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thanks all, nice to know I am on the right road. CHallengemaster, what did you do to get the photo like that? I have used photoshop in the past for web design in a former life.
    Exposure was actually 10s for that photo, was just messing with few filters I robbed off a mate, was serious vignetting (that word always sounds cool but just had time on my hands so read a book!) so cropped it a bit, lovely smokey sea effect though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Challengemaster, i like what you did to the pic, it was good to start but your PP made it very harsh and rugged looking. What steps / filters did you use in photoshop to achieve those results?
    They're both pretty good photos for a beginner!

The first one turned out quite well without any editing, here's what I did to the second with 5 minutes in photoshop (induced editing by 4 litres of coke)

review1.jpg

far from perfect but just a quick mess...

I think you're doing just fine considering it's only been 3 weeks! ;)

• Advertisement

As C&C goes...in the first one I really like the lighting,the silhouettes with the glaring sun behind them look brilliant.The only thing is,the colours seem a bit off to me.If you have Photoshop or Gimp I would use either Selective Colour or Saturation to decrease the reds in the photo and maybe increase the yellow.I think this would give a much nicer natural glow.

For the second one it's a shame that the water droplets affect the top of the shot.A glasses cloth can come in handy for those rainy days.Otherwise I would crop out the bottom left of the photo as it is a bit distracting and increase the contrast as it looks a bit flat.On the good side the composition is nearly spot on and you've achieved a lovely effect on the water with the long exposure.

These are some damn good landscapes though.If this is what you're producing after 3 weeks it'll be interesting to see what you're producing after a year or two! :)

Also Challengemaster I'd be interested in hearing about the processing too.

Thanks all, indeed only got my hands on an slr the first week of June when I purchased a 450D and naturally the bug has caught on! Its nice to know I am doing something right, thanks all, you are very kind and supportive. The 1st one was actually me driving to a beach last night and just saw light coming through on a pier near home so stopped and chanced my luck for 5 minutes.
    Love to hear what filters challengemaster used alright, I shot both in RAW so can adjust colours on the 1st one easily.

Jaysus, didn't think there'd be a load of ye interested in it :D

Twas literally a 5 minute mess about

Background layer:
    • Topaz adjust Dramatic filter
    • Some slight dodging and burning
    • Add a mask for new sky to be dropped in

New layer:
    • Drop in a new sky

Duplicate bg layer:
    • High pass filter (6.6) set to overlay

Adjustment layers:
    • B&W adjustment layer (Red -40, yellow 235, all else -200) - Multiply blending 69% opacity
    • Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (sepia preset) - layer mask for sky, Screen blending mode - 60% opacity
    • Levels adjustment layer to increase contrast (increase contrast 2 preset) - normal blending mode - 100% opacity

Here's the .psd file if you're interested
    Clicky

Seeing as you have RAW files for it, maybe taking a crack at editing the RAW file might yield more favorable results than jpeg editing! :D

thanks challengemaster, can i ask where you get the new sky to drop in?

Google "Dramatic sky"

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement