Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 80GB hard drive -

Options
  • 30-06-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Could someone please explain the following:

I bought a brand new 80GB HD in PC World . Installed a week ago.

The C drive had storage capacity of 10GB and the D drive had capacity of 64GB. ( total 75GB)

Now after one week, I only have storage left in C drive of 2.65GB .

I even installed all programmes in the larger D drive.

What could be using 7GB of space in the C drive ?

What happens when the C drive is full ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How many hard drives have you got in the PC? Did you re-install the operating system when you got the new hard drive? If so then that 7GB of space on the C drive is probably your operating system. Also looks like you partitioned your hard drive which was a bad idea because the C: partition will need a lot a more than 10GB. You may need to repartition and give more space to the C: drive which can be tricky and needs specialized software. Otherwise if its not a lot of hassle you could just format and re-install your OS with a proper size partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There is only one HD . And it is total 80GB , as I said 10gb and 65gb.

I must have went wrong somewhere when installing the OS , Do you think that I caused the HD to separate into 2 drives ? with 65 in one and 10 in the other.

Is this part of the re-installing procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Now I don't know if you have a ready built computer from Dell, HP or whatever but it sounds like it.

Im guessing you installed the HDD and reinstalled windows with the recovery disc you got with your computer? Correct?

If you had, as far as I can tell your recovery disc partitioned your drive into a windows partition which is C and a Data partition which is D.

You might only install everything on D but it makes no difference really, temporary files and prefetch and the page file are all stored on Drive C along with the actual installation of windows, 7GB seems very little in any case for any windows installation.

What type of computer do you have? What OS do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What type of computer do you have? What OS do you have?

It is a HP Compaq d330 pentium 4 and OS is Windows XP professional .

I used the operating system back-up cd-rom - ''W2K - DT - SP2 and windows XP pro english '' ( HP pc image creation and recovery cd rom .)

Advertisement