Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i keep failing and i could loose my job because of it

• 30-06-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

:(:(hey there, so im trying to get my full artic truck licence, in the UK by the way. It took 4 attempts to get my rigid licence which was a bit undesireable, but today i just failed the artic test for the 3rd time and it just seems to be worse im getting!
    My first attempt at the artic was really good with only 5 minors (out of 15) only for clipping the kerb i would have passed (imagine how annoyed i was:mad:), but today was just a disaster, with 6 serious violations.

My job is not with a trucking company or in any haulag, but a full artic licence is a requirement of the job, and i know they're loseing patience with me, every test that i take costs the company £300:eek:, so it adds up.

So thats 6 failed tests in total so far, has any one any advice ideas or what ever, is that alot by normal standards? i have good ability and my instructors cant understand it. the more i fail the worse i seem to fail, the last 2 have been bad fails, the others were not, with only a few minors. I moved over here for this job and really dont want to loose it because of this, i really seem to be getting into a downward spiral:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ruxpin82 wrote:
    So thats 6 failed tests in total so far, has any one any advice ideas or what ever, is that alot by normal standards?
    I'm afraid to say it but that would be unusual for truck tests. Most people pass the rigid and artic tests in the first or second attempt. I've never heard of anyone doing more than 2 of them.

It's difficult to give advice without knowing what exactly happened. Perhaps you dwell on the first mistake and, as a result, make another and so on instead of concentrating on the 'present'.

You mentioned 'clipping' the kerb 5 times during a test. I could understand doing it once but 5 times is difficult to believe especially considering that the test route would have to be suitable for the truck and trailer. Avoiding the kerb is a very basic skill and one that most truck drivers do automatically without thinking (unless they are on an unsuitable road and have no choice).

Did you try changing instructors/schools?

(It's unusual that your employer is funding it especially in the present economic climate.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

OP back again, just to clarify, the first attempt on the artic i had 5 minors out of 15, which was ok, i clipped the kerb once and that was the serious one that failed me(I didnt clip it 5 times), other than that it was a really good run. think i read somewhere the pass rate in the uk for artic licence is 34%??
    Im good on a lesson but when the examiner is beside me i just get nervous and mess it up, just wondering does being unfamiliar with the routes have a negative effect usually?
    i have another test on the 8th in a town i know, any of you guys have advice for preparation, should i get loaded on proplus and redbull for instance, or carry a roll of fiftys with me just in case:o

Advertisement