Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juices Vs real thing

• 30-06-2009 6:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I just got a juicer and i was wondering do you get the same "goodness / Nutrition" from juicing(drinking) the fruits as you would eating them,

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You are missing out on the fibre and I think it might increase the GI, i.e. absorbed quicker which can result in insulin spikes (can anybody confirm this?). Also makes it too easy to overdo the portions and not savour it, e.g. I could drink 1 litre/1kilo of apple juice in a minute, no way I could eat a kilo of apples in the same time. Most fruit juices will have the same sugar per 100ml as coke or 7up, albeit natural sugar.

I have a juicer but never use it, came with a blender, I was thinking of doing brocolli in it since it is meant to be very good for you but I do not like the taste, so otherwise would not really eat it. i.e. better than nothing, but not better than eating whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

rubadub wrote: »
    I have a juicer but never use it, came with a blender, I was thinking of doing brocolli in it since it is meant to be very good for you but I do not like the taste,

Broccoli and apple is meant to be a pretty good juice combination...

OP rubadub is right on the money - juices aren't quiet as good as eating the "whole" fruit or veg because of the loss of fibre and the decreased satiation feeling you get afterward. Fresh juices are still better than sugar-packed fizzy drinks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Eat the fruit. The only advantage to a juicer would be if it get stuff like kale into you that you normally wouldn't touch. And to be honest, while I love kale cooked with garlic, I think kale juice would make me puke.

Also, you've got to wash out the juicer after you use it, and everyone I know who has one gets really fed up doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

+ 1 on the washing stuff out.

what about what i do? I make juices with maybe half fruit and half veg.... ie carrots, ginger, celery and apples and melon, or pineapple and cucumber etc etc.... is that even slightly better? I think making juices is so labour intensive AFTER that i dont really do it very often anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

Here is a usefull Q&A page about juicing , mainly to do with vegetable juicing .

http://www.healingdaily.com/juicing-for-health.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement