Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water or Milk for a cat.?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I have been told that I should give my cat water rather than milk.
    Can you cat lovers please clarify.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Water, cats are more or less lactose intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

You can also buy milk safe for cats (at pet stores I guess). Not sure how expensive it is, been years since I bought any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

i give my cats just water. Cats cannot tolerate cows milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Is it an actual fact that all cats are lactose intolerant? I'm not so sure. I gave my previous cat milk everyday. Now she didn't always drink it but thats cats for you :) I think the cat will let you know, they're not going to drink or eat something that makes them sick. Having said that my current cat gets water simply because it is a lot easier, not so messy, doesn't go sour and is free :) She loves yoghurt and cream as a treat, I don't think she'd be so mad for it if it was upsetting her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I give my cat low fat milk with water sometimes. Although in the hot waether she much prefares her water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Water. Whiskas kitten and cat milk is lactose free. We give it to very young foster kittens who ended up being weaned earlier than normal, because of the boost in calcium it provides, but older cats don't need it. It's fine as an occasional treat (especially if your cat has a totally dry kibble diet - and try mixing it half and half with water).

Most cats will have a go at cow's milk, cheese and yoghurt, because they like the taste, but most of them are lactose intolerent and too much of it will cause diarrhea and stomach upset.

I've had foster kittens with no mum who loved the whiskas milk, and foster kittens still with their mum who was still suckling them, and they turned their nose up at the whiskas milk completely.

Cats don't have big enough brains to make a connection between something they eat now and a feeling of unwellness that sets in half an hour later, hence they keep drinking milk even though they end up with the scutters for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Cats don't have big enough brains to make a connection between something they eat now and a feeling of unwellness that sets in half an hour later, hence they keep drinking milk even though they end up with the scutters for days.

Good tip.

this also explains why Dutch Golds brewer is still in business :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

water all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cows milk can be very bad esp. for young kittens it can give them the runs and they can become dehydrated and ill. Older cats can cope with it a bit better but it doesn't agree with most of them..and then people complain about the pong of cat poop in the litter tray.

Whiskas cat milk as mentioned is fine, it's a bit pricey though but you can water it down a bit. Water is just as good as a good quality cat food gives them all they need. Water is essential esp. if feeding dry food. Can't remember but sometimes Aldi or Lidl sell cat milk sometimes as well.

Some cats are fussy about their water some people have those water fountain things for cats.

Some cats adore milk based things like cheese and ice cream and cream but it doesn't agree with their wee tums.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I suspect the the number of cats who are lactose intolerant is overstated, and that milk is fine for most cats. I say this based on no scientific evidence whatsoever! :D

One of mine is milk crazy and sits by the fridge mewing at increasing volume until she gets a shot of milk in her bowl. She doesn't get the runs or have any stomach upset and none of the others do either - although they aren't very interested in drinking milk.

I have a suspicion that the "don't give your cat milk" thing is being spread by Whiskas who are trying to sell more of their over-priced catmilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you just give her a drop, like a couple of tablespoons, she may be fine with it. A bowlful every day would be a different story.

As for Whiskas milk - any lactose-free milk product would do a similar job, especially if you're giving it only as a treat and not leaving it out as the cat's only source of daily moisture.

Advertisement