Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your hero

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Maddison wrote: »
    Actually am shedding a bit of a tear now....damn you Pikachucheeks :P

Oh, I shed some too! I think it's good for the soul though, it's nice to remember people fondly, think about memories and vocalise why somone's important to you - I think people leave a lot unsaid, it's good to open up! :)

I haven't seen my dad in weeks and I miss him. I shed a few tears in the office there, thinking about funny times we've had ... Him in Wagamama's laughing hysterically at me trying to use chopsticks and shouting "Andrea, you will not embarrass me by asking for a knife and fork!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Heroes. John McEnroe, Kenny Dalglish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my grandad, he was forrestor of the year 10 times ina row worked till he was 85, was an ox of a man as a kid he taught me all about nature (england) and wild life at the age of 10 he went a killed a grass snake and an adder then explained to us why we should never go near them... stuff like that... Was really interesting, My dad to he used to bring me rock climbing when i was like 7 till 16 taught me load about climbing moutains and photography....... Any one whos ever taught me soemthing i use.....

My councilor he really helped me from things like, controlling how I feel and learning how small things bring everything down on you and just, controlling my emotions, helped me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Fair play to you for the thread...Its nice putting into words what my nan means to me.
    When she passed away my great aunt said to me ''your nanny never called you her grand-daughter you were always her little girl''

Well I sobbed like a baby.

She died in May 2006 just a month before we moved into our 1st home, I miss her every day & there are times where I have picked up the phone to tell her something that happened & I realise she is not there....so I will just sit there & think of what she would have said and laugh....she was the funniest person ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

My grandads they fought the black and tans ,so that myself and everybody else in this country could enjoy the freedom we have today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

My lovely kind and calm Dad. He always stood by me and supported while allowing me to make my own mistakes. He was great fun and always told me I was lovely and fab. He gave me a great attitude and joie de vivre!
    He bore his ilness so well and with such dignity.

My Mom too because she was a strong motivated woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Like a lot of others here, my parents
    My Da. He was born one of 10 to a bog worker in Offaly. He had dyslixia and lost his mum at 13/14 to a brain anurism. He started work at 15. met my mum at 19 and in the following 42 years he worked very hard for his family, providing a very comfortable and happy life for us. He was always strong and fair, allowed us all to make mistakes and was there to help us recover from them. Offered advise but never said I told you so. Helped anyone who needed it and never shied away from messy jobs. He was a family man who loved all six of his kids, adored his wife, and was proud of everyone in his family. If you needed something done, you could wake up to him hammering away doing it without ever having to ask. We lost da very suddenly at only 61, 16 days ago. He is missed and loved as the man who made all of us at home what we are. If I can be half the person he was, I'll be a great one.
    My mum. She is and always has been strong. Her love for my da and all of us has never wavered. She always has our backs and always believed us where appropriate but could also always catch the lie. She is adored by all of us, her family and her friends. She has been sick for the past 15 years, (hep C) and battles it with courage and fortitude. She worked from the time she was 13 and always put family first. She's smart and funny and we love her to bits. When I get the chance to be a ma I hope I'm half as good as her :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

I have three heros - my Dad, my Grandma and my Grandpa.

Basically my dad was in the American Air Force and he met my mom and so I was born and then my middle brother was born. My mom was really messed up with drugs (I googled her so I know :eek: - won't go into detail, its a very american story! :) ) and they ended up getting divorced. My dad was only 20 when I was born and in the 80's that was shock horror! He got custody of me and my brother and did the only thing he could do. He sent us to Ireland to my grandparents. It might seem like a cop out but because of all the stuff my mom did, it was for the best. He moved around a lot with the Air Force and wanted to make sure we had some stability in our lives.

Then my youngest brother was born in the middle of the divorce and my mother got custody of him (me and brother 1 were in Ireland when this happened). She tried to put him up for adoption without telling my dad and luckily he found out. He got brother 2 and brought him to Ireland to be with us.

I used to see my dad only once a year (at xmas) and I'll never forget how exciting it was when I knew he was coming home. He did and still does work so hard just to make sure me and my brothers want for nothing. He is one of the most self-less people I know. He had three kids by the age of 24 and now he's 44 and is the most grounded and amazing person. I respect him so much for what he did all those years ago. He has never once bad-mouthed my mother even through all she put him through. He was even hesitant telling me why they split up - I kept asking and eventually he had to tell me.

Then come my grandparents for bringing me and my brothers up. They took us on when they were both 58, when they should have been enjoying life, and they never made us feel like anything other than their children. Even their pasts (long long before us) are amazing. My Grandpa was the actor Robert Mitchum's boss and Matthew Broderick's dad's boss in New York. My grandma used to say hello to Humfrey Bogart walking down the street. They both lost their siblings when they were very young (out of 8 in my grandma's family there 2 left) and they ploughed on. They have known each other from birth, made their communion and confirmation together and I think that is amazing. Thats 81 years that they have been together and that is rare and beautiful. (chissakes, I sound so cheesy right now!)

Ok... you guys probably get the idea! :) so I'll stop now... sorry about the length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

My hero was, is, and always will be, my deceased disabled brother who never spent a single day of his life without the most infectious and sincere smile on his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As above with allabouteve .My sister has spent most of her life with crippling Arthritis .I cant remember a time when she wasn't in pain, both physicaly ,mentaly and emotionaly .I know that many people in in her situation including myself would have caved in long ago , with suicide never far from my thoughts .It's only through her own determination to live a life as positivly (as one can in such a situation) a loving caring husband and sisters ,does she have any quality of life .The hardest part is watching somebody you love suffer knowing that there is very little you can do .But we do what we can to make her life as comfortable as possible .She is a Hero .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Jose Mourinho, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Will Ferel

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

I dont have any real life heroes.. dont get on with parents at all, and not close to any other family members. But like someone else said, I admire the everyday people that show consideration and kindness in caring for people, ie nurses, charity workers, carers etc..

And not that Im one of these, but people who have had a really bad/tough upbringing and are fighters and who dont carry on the cycle of their childhoods..

Makes me a little sad though that my mam and dad are not who Id like them to be.. cest la vie eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My grandad. He is the best person in the world and I do not know what I'd do without him. He's 85 and he is just so cool. On Sunday he told me to be careful when I go out 'cause there are a lot of people going around putting drugs in drinks, bless him. He is the most thoughful and considerate person I have ever known and I only hope that I am a teeny, tiny bit like him. :) I love you, grandad :)

Advertisement