Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids training/matches?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Quick question

i've been training some 10 year olds to under 16's for the last few months and am wondering what other clubs train kids?

The reason i ask is i would be interested in doing some friendly inter club matches/training days-the kids are always asking when they can do it and it could be a good chance to get them practise and let them feel there competing. Maybe sub wrestling or MMA league style sparring, all chilled out with the aim to give the kids a good experience..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Paul,

Give Dan a shout on 087-1212768 about setting something up with our teens. I'm sure you guys could work something out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Quick question

Maybe sub wrestling or MMA league style sparring, all chilled out with the aim to give the kids a good experience..

Chilled out & kids can be done, throw in the crazed parental factor and its a nightmare!.

Have you spoken to Andy & Richie, they've lots of experience with kids and Sub comps and since your affliated they might give you a small comp to get you started.

Or get in touch with Colm O'Reilly, so far as I know he's got a lot of kids up his way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

SBG Ireland-We have a big Kids class(Under 12) and a goods teens class,theres me and about four other 15/16 year olds who want to compete.Contact Owen Roddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I reckon a good way to go would be just to have joint training/rolling sessions rather than have competitions. If the teenage classes in the rest of the gyms are anything like mine, I reckon there's only about a max of 15 in each class which means that in Dublin, you only have about maybe 50-70 teenagers training. That's not many so I think it would be a great idea to give them that variety.

I'll run a comp in September for kids but until then we should organise some sessions I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Roper wrote: »
    I reckon a good way to go would be just to have joint training/rolling sessions rather than have competitions. If the teenage classes in the rest of the gyms are anything like mine, I reckon there's only about a max of 15 in each class which means that in Dublin, you only have about maybe 50-70 teenagers training. That's not many so I think it would be a great idea to give them that variety.

I'll run a comp in September for kids but until then we should organise some sessions I think.

Were going over to do a rolling session with Colm's teens, if they did not mind we could get a few clubs to get together and make it a big rolling session, thats the start of august, could be done on a regular basis in different clubs that could cater for it! we'll come up for the comp in september aswell.

the more that show up the more chance of the rolls been evenly matched, all my kids are only training 3 months now!

the fact that the kids feel its a comp makes it a cool experience for them even if its light hearted training really..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

We have a few young lads that would be up for this also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Well look i'll go out on a limb here and say that I'll hold a joint training session for 12-17 year olds in August some time. We can make it something like a three hour session with a mini tournament at the end.

Whaddya think?

Advertisement