Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspending insurance - is this the right thing to do?

• 30-06-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Very quick question - just looking for people's opinions on this.

I've just sold my car and I don't plan on getting a new one immediately - I have the use of my OH's car for the next couple of months.

Obviously the normal thiung to do is to cancel my insurace until I get a new car but just to make it a little trickier - I have an anoutstanfin TP claim on my policy. This is only recent and is not settled - as a reuslt my renewal qoute is double that of last year - which is fine.

I'm now not sure what to do - I'm worried that if I cancel my policy I will then face a ridiculous new quote when I get a new car or that they insurance compnay I'm with at the moment will refuse to requote me.

The other alternative is that I suspend the policy temporarily - with the view to getting a new car in the next couple of months. This way I continue to pay my premiums and will get cover for the new car. Does this seem like the most likely option?

I did call my insurer but they said they couldn't give me an indication what the quote would be if I cancelled and wanted to reinstate within the next few months.

I've grown to rely on the advice from this board concerning all my motor wows so would like to hear your opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you really planing to get a car in next two months, then get it suspended...

Its hard to get qoutes after claiming for sure, so better not to move too much at this time in mine opinion.

Thought you can check it m8, just go to 123.ie or ather website where you can get qoute online, and check. Add details and declare all claims, see what happens.

If price okay, then just cancell it m8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How long is left on your current policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Current policy ends in 1 month and have received renewal quote for new one for July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Couple of things;

DON'T cancel your policy.
    If you do, the insurer could go to town on you for your next quote.....
    With only 1 month left, you wouldn't get anything back, anyway, so no point........
    Suspend? - again, fruitless, 11 mths in. Just leave it there, get your new car, and put the new details on it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

galwaytt wrote: »
    Couple of things;

DON'T cancel your policy.
    If you do, the insurer could go to town on you for your next quote.....
    With only 1 month left, you wouldn't get anything back, anyway, so no point........
    Suspend? - again, fruitless, 11 mths in. Just leave it there, get your new car, and put the new details on it.

I have canceled mine with AXA, and after that newer had any trouble, now thinking of canceling with quin-direct, becouse they not insuring me on new car i whant to buy. So i would not worry much about it.

But if only 1 month left, theres really no point in doing that then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

thanks - what I was thinking of is allowing the renewal to go through as is - insurance are happy to do this - and pay the premium until I get a new car, they will refund me the difference at that point.

Advertisement